Two Ways to Make Healthy Rice
Rice is one of the most basic foods. Known and used throughout the world, it’s also one of the most versatile ingredients, capable of going well with almost everything. In this article, we’ll propose two healthy rice recipes with brown rice and wild rice so you can fully enjoy its benefits!
A little about rice
Rice is the seed of the Oryza sativa plant. It’s the most-produced cereal in the world after corn. Indeed, it’s a staple food in practically the entire planet. Thanks to the fact that it goes well with almost everything, you can find it in all kinds of recipes: desserts, main dishes, garnishes, bread, etc.
The benefits of rice
Some of the benefits of this extraordinary cereal are the following:
- First, rice is an important and healthy source of energy. In fact, it contains approximately 86 grams of carbohydrates for every 100 grams.
- Also, it’s a source of fiber, vitamins such as B1 and B3, and folic acid.
- It contains phosphorus, magnesium, and potassium.
On the other hand, rice doesn’t contain cholesterol and is low in sodium. Thus, experts consider it a suitable food for people with hypertension.
- In addition to fiber, its natural antioxidants (such as phenolic compounds and flavonoids) help to rid the body of free radicals more quickly, thus protecting the body from them.
- Some types of rice help stimulate neuroprotective enzymes in the brain. Thus, they may help prevent the appearance of diseases such as Alzheimer’s or dementia.
- Rice is a natural diuretic thanks to the fact that it’s rich in fiber.
- On the other hand, its antioxidant content favors cardiovascular health.
You may also want to read: Cholesterol-Friendly Rice with Vegetables and Chia Seeds
What are the healthiest types of rice?
There are many different types of rice: white, bomba, steamed, arborio, basmati, brown, glutinous, wild, red… Each of them provides certain culinary characteristics to each dish (aroma, texture, color, etc.). However, while all of them are healthy, some are healthier than others.
Since the nutrients in rice are found mainly in its husk, brown rice and wild rice varieties are the healthiest.
- Actually, brown rice can be obtained from any type of rice. It’s a less processed rice, in which the grain has been left unpolished. Thus, the nutrients in its husk are almost intact.
- On the other hand, although it resembles rice in appearance and qualities, wild rice is technically not rice. In fact, it doesn’t come from the same species, but from a different one, zizania, a very similar aquatic plant. For this reason, it’s known by other names such as “Canada rice, “Indian rice,” or “water oats.”
This article may interest you: How to Make Chickpea Curry with Basmati Rice
Two healthy rice recipes
Wild rice with chicken and mushrooms recipe
This is a very nutritious and delicious recipe with one of the healthiest kinds of rice. Take note!
- 200 grams (7 ounces) of wild rice
- 1 chicken breast
- 2 carrots
- 200 grams (7 ounces) of mushrooms
- Soy sauce
- Olive oil
- Chives (optional)
- Firstly, you must cook the rice. Wild rice takes about 35 minutes to cook. Thus, it’s best to cook it while you make the rest of the recipe.
- Also, cut the carrots into small pieces and put them in the pot where you’re cooking the rice. This way, you’ll make sure the carrots soften at the same time.
- Next, cut the chicken into small pieces and sauté or stir fry them with a little oil until lightly browned on both sides.
- Then, add the mushrooms. If you bought them frozen, make sure to thaw them beforehand and strain them well.
- Subsequently, once the rice and carrots are cooked, strain them well to remove all the water. Then, add them to the pan with the mushrooms and the chicken to stir fry everything together. At this point, also add a tablespoon of soy sauce.
- Stir fry everything well to perfectly integrate all the ingredients.
- Finally, season and serve while still hot. If you want, you can cut the green part of the chives into small rings and add them on top of the rice to give more flavor and garnish the dish.
Brown rice with vegetables, one of many healthy rice recipes
In this recipe, the benefits of brown rice combine with those of vegetables. Don’t miss it!
- 200 grams (7 ounces) of brown rice
- 1 red pepper
- 1 zucchini
- Soy sauce
- 5 garlic cloves
- First, bring the rice to a boil according to the package instructions.
- Meanwhile, heat some water in another pot. When it boils, add all the previously washed and chopped vegetables. After boiling them for one to two minutes, strain them and set aside.
- In a frying pan, lightly stir fry the garlic and parsley with some oil. Remember to keep stirring the ingredients so they don’t burn.
- When the garlic has browned a bit, add the vegetables, brown rice, and soy sauce and stir fry until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Now your plate of brown rice with vegetables is ready to enjoy and enrich your dining table with aroma, flavor, and nutrients.
Take advantage of this versatile ingredient in many preparations! We proposed these two healthy rice recipes, but you can make as many as your creativity allows you to. Start today!It might interest you...