Try These 4 Cinnamon Masks for Perfect Hair
Cinnamon is a spice filled with antioxidizing substances and essential oils. For many years people have used it for homemade hair treatments. Want to know more?
In recent years, alternative hair care remedies have grown more popular. Although the evidence regarding their efficiency is limited, there are people who prefer these kinds of treatments when it comes to keeping their mane bright and healthy. Have you ever tried a cinnamon mask?
Cinnamon is a spice with many health benefits, as discussed in a study published in BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine. However, there are currently no studies that demonstrate that it helps to strengthen hair and stimulate its growth.
Despite this, in popular culture, many people use it as a base for natural masks because it clenses the scalp, hydrates, and gives a shinier look. If you decide to try it, in this article we share 4 different options. Take notes!
The best cinnamon masks to improve the appearance of your hair
A systematic revision published in Pharmacognosy Research highlights that cinnamon is rich in essential oils like cinnamaldehyde, eugenol, and alcanphor. It also has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects. For this reason, we often associate it with several health benefits.
When talking about the effects on hair, cinnamon is said to help stimulate circulation in the hair follicle which then helps with growth. Also, thanks to its antifungal and antibacterial properties, it can help to prevent infections in this area. However, as we have mentioned, there’s no evidence to support these facts.
Regardless, in the majority of cases, it’s considered to be a safe remedy and there are people that suggest it can help you maintain healthy hair. Let’s have a look at some ways to enjoy it.
1. Cinnamon and honey masks
In addition to enjoying the properties of cinnamon, for this mask we also use honey. Without a doubt, honey is the healthiest ingredient for taking care of your hair. According to a publication in the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology, this ingredient has calming properties and helps to regulate the hair’s pH. It also acts as a conditioning and hydrating substance for the hair.
- 2 tablespoons of honey (1.7 oz).
- 1 cup of warm water (1/2 pint).
- 4 tablespoons of cinnamon (1.4 oz).
- Place the ingredients in a bowl and mix until you obtain a well-blended paste.
- After washing your hair with neutral shampoo, gently massage the mask into your hair.
- Once the hair is completely covered with the mixture, allow it to sit for 20 minutes.
- Rinse with a sufficient amount of warm water.
- Dry and comb your hair as usual.
We recommend you read: Herbal Conditioner Recipe for Strong Hair
2. Cinnamon, egg, and rosemary masks
One of the cinnamon maks you may like to try is this one that uses rosemary and egg. Rosemary is popular for its interesting applications for capillary health. According to a study in Phytotherapy Research, extracts of this plant have given promising results for hair growth stimulation.
- 1 egg.
- 6 sprigs of rosemary.
- 3 cups of water (1 1/2 pint).
- 1/4 cup of cinnamon (1.7 oz).
- Boil the rosemary in the water, then allow it to sit.
- Beat the egg until creamy.
- Add the cinnamon and mix until both ingredients are well blended.
- Apply uniformly and massage into the scalp for 5 minutes.
- Let it sit for 10 more minutes.
- Rinse with the rosemary water.
3. Cinnamon and olive oil masks for hydrated hair
This mask is ideal to increase the brightness of very dry hair. Given that it contains oil, we don’t recommend this mask for hair that tends to get greasy.
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil (1.7 oz).
- 2 tablespoons of cinnamon (0.7 oz).
- Put the olive oil in a pan and put on low fire until it is warm.
- Add the cinnamon and stir slowly with circular movements.
- When the ingredients are blended, put it on your moist hair.
- You can use a fine comb to make sure that all of the hair is perfectly covered.
- Let the treatment on for 20 minutes if your hair is only slightly damaged. If it’s severely damaged, leave it on all night.
- Rinse with warm water.
4. Mayonnaise and cinnamon masks for silky hair
The final option in this list of cinnamon based masks uses another two special ingredients: mayonnaise and rose water.
- 5 drops of rose water.
- 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise (0.7 oz).
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon (0.35 oz).
- Mix the mayonnaise and cinnamon together in a small container using a spoon.
- Then, mix in the rose water.
- Brush your hair and apply the treatment.
- When your hair is completely covered with the mask, leave it to sit for 20 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water, without using shampoo.
Always do an allergy test first
Remember to do a small test with these cinnamon masks before you try them all over. Although they’re safe for the majority of people, some may experience sensitivity on their scalp. If that is the case, wash the mask off with a lot of water and stop using it.
It’s also important to remember that any problem you may have with the health of your hair should be treated by a dermatologist. In a similar vein, if your hair is too dry, or you have problems with excessive fallout, consult a professional.