3 Tricks to Prepare Poached Eggs without Cracking Them
Poached eggs are usually simple to prepare, but there are a few tricks that make this task even easier, with better results. Once you know them and implement them, you will be able to leave everyone at home with their mouths open every time you serve them.
The poaching method, as this technique is also known, involves the use of boiling water, as well as a splash of vinegar or lemon juice. In itself, the cooking takes only about 4 minutes. Do you dare to make them at home? Take note!
With these tricks, you’ll be able to make poached eggs without breaking them
As detailed in a publication in the magazine Nutrients magazine, eggs have a high nutritional value. They are an abundant source of essential amino acids, minerals, vitamins, and good-quality fatty acids.
To be more precise, they contain vitamin A, iron, vitamin B12, riboflavin, choline, zinc, and calcium. In addition, they are considered one of the most economical and important food sources of protein. How to prepare them in a healthy way?
Undoubtedly, one of the advantages of this food is that it’s very versatile and can be prepared in many ways. In this case, we propose poached eggs, which are not only delicious but also maintain their properties. Let’s take a look at three tricks.
1. Water whirlwind
This first trick to prepare poached eggs is the most common. All you have to do is take the eggs and a liter of water. This is very simple, but you have to pay attention to the technique.
- The first thing you have to do is to put the liter of water to boil. It’s important that it’s a liter and not less, because we need that when adding the egg, the temperature does not decrease much.
- While the water is heating, crack the egg and set it aside in a bowl.
- When you notice that bubbles start to appear on the surface of the water, take a spoon and start stirring very carefully.
- You’ll notice how the movement of the water traps the egg, preventing the egg white from scattering all over the pot.
- After 3 minutes in the water, remove it with the help of a skimmer so that it isn’t too wet.
- Serve and salt to taste.
We think you may also enjoy reading this article: How to Make Perfect Boiled Eggs According to Science
2. Wrapped in plastic wrap
If you have several diners at home who are eager to eat some tasty poached eggs, then don’t get complicated. All you have to do is get some plastic wrap. With this trick, you will look great and you will be able to get the product out in no time.
- Boil a liter of water in a pot.
- Cut the pieces of plastic wrap you need for the number of eggs you are going to prepare.
- Take a cup or something deep to put the paper on top and create a bowl.
- With a kitchen brush, brush the paper with a little olive oil.
- Crack the egg on top, add salt and pepper to taste. You can also add other elements such as ham and bacon.
- Take the four ends of the cling film and make a knot (so the pieces of paper should be big enough).
- Now, you can also close them with the help of a string or another piece of plastic wrap. The fact is that they’re very well-closed.
- When the water is bubbling, place the wrapped eggs in the water.
- Prepare a bowl with cold water to pass the poached eggs, because if there are too many of them, they may overcook while you take them out of the wrapper.
3. Poached eggs in the microwave
If you feel that you have a hard time with the swirling water technique or the wrapping of the plastic wrap, then we have a special trick for you to prepare poached eggs in the microwave. This technique is ideal for when you’re about to poach your poached eggs and time is of the essence.
- Take a bowl suitable for use in the microwave and put enough water in it so that when you pour in the egg it is completely covered.
- Put the liquid in the microwave and heat at full power until the water is about to boil. It is difficult to give you an estimated time, since it depends on the model and specific characteristics of your appliance. In the meantime, crack your egg and set it aside.
- When the water is ready, remove it from the microwave and add the egg; cover it with a plate and put it back in the appliance for 40 seconds more, at the same power.
- At the end of this time, lean on the skimmer and remove the egg.
- Add salt to taste and consume as desired.
- You will notice that the shape is not as round as when cooked in a pot, but the result is the same in terms of flavor.
Like this article? You may also like to read: Add These Ingredients to Your Scrambled Eggs and Surprise Everyone
Other tricks to prepare poached eggs like a pro
In addition to these three tricks to prepare poached eggs, there are other actions that will help you make a high-level preparation. For example:
- Use the freshest eggs you can find. This ensures that the poaching technique you use will have better results and you won’t have to add extra steps to the preparation.
- If you don’t know if the eggs are fresh or not, then use a strainer to separate the not-so-fresh part when you crack them. You will notice that the white is separated from a more liquid portion of the egg, the latter is the one you should not use.
- Use a little vinegar in the poaching water; this way, the not-so-fresh eggs will have an optimal incorporation.
- If you prepared the poached eggs well in advance and they are cold at the moment of serving, serve them in a hot sauce or dip them in a little warm water before plating.
- Always crack the eggs over a cup or glass before poaching them. This will allow you to remove the unpleasant parts, such as the red spots. This way, you will serve a perfect poached egg.
Are you going to try these tricks?
Poached eggs are ideal for enjoying more delicious and healthy breakfasts or main dishes. In fact, they are the perfect complement to some soups and stews. There’s no need to get too complicated; with these simple tricks, you can prepare them in minutes!It might interest you...
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Calidad nutricional de los huevos y relación con la salud. (2018, septiembre 27). PDF4PRO. https://pdf4pro.com/view/calidad-nutricional-de-los-huevos-y-relaci-243-n-con-la-salud-31c19c.html
Réhault-Godbert, S., Guyot, N., & Nys, Y. (2019). The Golden Egg: Nutritional Value, Bioactivities, and Emerging Benefits for Human Health. Nutrients, 11(3), 684. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6470839/
Zhang, X., Lv, M., Luo, X., Estill, J., Wang, L., Ren, M., Liu, Y., Feng, Z., Wang, J., Wang, X., & Chen, Y. (2020). Egg consumption and health outcomes: a global evidence mapping based on an overview of systematic reviews. Annals of translational medicine, 8(21), 1343. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7723562/