Top 10 Health Benefits of Bananas
For years, it was thought that eating bananas led to weight gain because they contain more sugar and calories than most fruits. However, this bad reputation is becoming a thing of the past. It’s been shown that bananas are a source of complete nutrition, thanks to their nutrient density, and can be included in any type of diet. The benefits of bananas are countless.
Many people are now beginning to regularly eat bananas as a part of their daily diet. Not only are they nutritious, they’re very versatile and increase feelings of well-being.
We should also point out that they’re really cheap to buy at the store and they’re often available year round.
So, enjoy one any time. Below, we’re going to show you 10 important benefits of bananas that you can take advantage of.
The Top 10 Health Benefits of Bananas
1. They keep your digestive system healthy.
Bananas contain a significant quantity of fiber, which promotes intestinal transit to fight constipation.
Eating bananas acts as a natural remedy against ulcers, as they neutralize stomach acids and soothe irritation.
They also help protect the system against attack from certain bacteria that cause gastrointestinal problems.
Their fructoligosaccharides act as a probiotic supplement to nourish the beneficial bacteria in the intestine and produce digestive enzymes for better absorption of nutrients.
See also: Why Everyone Should Eat More Ginger
2. They strengthen your muscles.
Thanks to their potassium content, eating bananas helps strengthen muscles while promoting quicker recovery after a training session.
3. They fight fatigue.
Feeling weak and tired can be treated by eating bananas. They’re a natural revitalizer that boosts energy and supplies the body with essential nutrients.
They’re great for people who are extremely thin or have disorders that cause physical weakness.
4. They’re good for blood pressure.
Excess sodium and a deficiency of potassium in the body are one of the reasons blood pressure levels can be so hard to manage.
Luckily, this fruit provides significant quantities of potassium, which is beneficial for those who suffer from hypertension.
5. Bananas reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.
Helping to control blood pressure is not the only health benefit bananas have to offer for the cardiovascular system.
They’re properties help keep your heartbeat steady, and thanks to its fiber content, bananas help manage bad cholesterol levels to prevent hardening of the arteries.
6. Bananas are filling.
Instead of causing weight gain, bananas are an excellent addition to any weight loss diet. This is due to the fact that they’re one of the most filling foods thanks to their carbohydrates and fiber content.
Eating a banana canhelp fight cravings and is a healthy way to hold off hunger for longer.
7. Bananas are great for beautiful skin.
The vitamins and minerals in bananas are really good for the skin. While they’re useful as masks, they also nourish the skin from the inside out.
Their antioxidant properties fight cell damage and help repair tissues to prevent the early appearance of wrinkles.
8. Bananas fight anemia.
One of the many benefits of bananas is that they’re high in iron, an essential mineral for producing hemoglobin in the blood, a determining factor when treating anemia.
9. They improve your mood.
Many people swear that bananas are the best antidepressants. They’re delicious, they are no side effects and they benefit the entire body.
Bananas contain an essential amino acid called tryptophan, which stimulates the production of serotonin in the brain to improve mood, prevent insomnia and increase feelings of well-being.
We recommend reading: Foods to Improve Your Mood
10. They’re great for the nervous system.
Banana tea or eating a piece of this fruit supplies the body with good amounts of B vitamins, essential for calming the nervous system.
In conclusion, you can enjoy several bananas a week without fear of gaining weight. The best way to eat them is raw, either alone or in smoothies and salads. You can also take advantage of the properties contained in the peel to prepare a medicinal tea.
Start including them in your diet today and discover the benefits of bananas for your health.
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Christodoulides S., Dimidi E., Fragkos KC., Farmer AD., et al., Systematic review with meta analysis: effect of fibre supplementation on chronic idiopatihc constipation in adults. Aliment Pharmacol ther, 2016. 44 (2): 103-16.
- Stone MS., Martyn L., Weaver CM., Potassium intake, bioavailability, hypertension and glucose control. Nutrients, 2016.
- Kim Y., Je Y., Dietary fibre intake and mortality from cardiovascular disease and all cancers: a meta analysis of prospective cohort studies. Arch Cardiovasc Dis, 2016. 109 (1): 39-54.
- Volpe AD., Lucia A., Pirozzi C., Pastore V., Comparative study between the use of melatonin and A solution with melatonin, tryptophan, and vitamin B6 as an inducer of spontaneous sleep in children during an auditory response test: an alternative to commonly used sedative drugs. J Int Adv Otol, 2017. 13 (1): 69-73.