The Best Gym Machines for Burning Calories
Have you ever wondered which gym machines benefit you the most? Certainly training centers have various devices to train the body, but not all are equally effective when it comes to burning calories and losing weight.
However, it should be noted that machines do not do all the work. It’s necessary to maintain a healthy lifestyle that includes an appropriate diet in order to achieve the desired results.
Lose weight using gym machines
Gym machines are effective when they are used properly. Although the most common are the treadmill and the stationary bicycle, there are also others that can help us reach our goal.
Gym machines adapt to different routines, although not all produce the same effects.
Some are more useful than others. Everything depends on the goal that we have set. We must also bear in mind that the greater our effort in the gym, the more fat we will burn.
Don’t pay attention to the panel on the machine where the calories are indicated. This is just an estimate. The important thing is to focus on the quality of the exercise.
It is advisable to always start with a low or medium intensity routine and then increase the effort (more speed, more weight, more inclination, etc.).
Gym machines for burning fat
1. Stationary or fixed bicycle
The most popular and beneficial of gym machines is, without a doubt, the exercise bike. It is estimated that it can help you burn between 500 and 900 calories per hour.
This machine has a very slight impact on the joints and does not require a technique, nor does it require prior training. You just have to sit and pedal.
The seat must be adjusted so that your knees extend at a 90 degree angle.
Even people who do weight lifting should perform at least 15 minutes of treadmill or stationary bicycle to reduce fat.
The downside to the stationary bike is that it can be a somewhat monotonous exercise if you get bored of easily. You can take the opportunity to listen to music or to watch an episode of your favorite series while pedaling.
Also as the sessions go by, you can adjust the weight, get up from the seat, or even lean your torso forward. If you get bored, you can choose to attend spinning classes.
This machine allows us to burn between 450 and 650 calories per hour. Without a doubt, it is one of the most popular gym machines. To use it, you must program the time in which you will use it.
On a treadmill, not only can you walk, jog or run, but also simulate real moments of a race (ups and downs, sprints, etc.). This is because they have programs that change the speed and inclination.
However, has a big impact on the joints (mainly the knees), so it should be used sparingly.
3. Stair-stepper or climber
The stair climber is another gym machine ideal for burning calories. When using it, you will burn approximately 400 calories in an hour of ups and downs.
It has programs like the treadmill and allows you to perform cardio exercises to lose weight. The climber is composed of two platforms where the feet are placed and simulates climbing a staircase.
The intensity can be adjusted to make it harder for us to raise and lower our legs. In a few minutes, they both get fatigued because they work the most.
This machine is recommended mainly for more experienced runners who want to improve their technique for racing.
Visit this article:
Learn How to Combine Foods to Lose Weight Quickly
With this machine, you can burn between 300 and 600 calories in an hour. It is a combination of several machines: the bicycle, the stair climber and the treadmill.
The motion performed is an ellipse (hence the name of the device) and is not recommended for people who have problems with their knees since the impact is high.
In addition, some experience is needed to master the movements (of the arms and legs at the same time). It is advisable to keep your abdomen tight to strengthen it and your back straight to avoid pain.
5. Hydraulic rowing machine
The number of calories that can be burned with this machine is between 300 and 700 since it allows you to work both your upper body and the lower and to strengthen your abdominal muscles.
This machine simulates the movement of the rowers of a canoe or a kayak. With the first movement, we pull the bars towards us and with the second, we push backwards. Your grip must be strong.
It is essential to be careful with your knees and shoulders. You should also move with your back straight.
Some hydraulic rowing machines contain programs or games (because otherwise it is boring) and if you work with moderate to high intensity, you can burn more calories than with the treadmill.
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Zhou, B., Sundholm, M., Cheng, J., Cruz, H., & Lukowicz, P. (2017). Measuring muscle activities during gym exercises with textile pressure mapping sensors. Pervasive and Mobile Computing. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmcj.2016.08.015
- Brown, B., Chetty, M., Grimes, A., & Harmon, E. (2006). Reflecting on health. https://doi.org/10.1145/1125451.1125794
- Quintiliani, L. M., Bishop, H. L., Greaney, M. L., & Whiteley, J. A. (2012). Factors across home, work, and school domains influence nutrition and physical activity behaviors of nontraditional college students. Nutrition Research. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nutres.2012.09.008
- EJERCICIO AERÓBICO O ANAERÓBICO, ¿CUÁL ES EL MEJOR PARA TU SALUD? Fundación Española del Corazón. https://fundaciondelcorazon.com/corazon-facil/blog-impulso-vital/2654-ejercicio-aerobico-o-anaerobico-icual-mejor-para-tu-salud.html
- Rodríguez, A. (2012). El dispositivo, el gimnasio y el cuerpo entrenado: Reflexiones a la luz de algunos de los aportes de Michel Foucault. VII Jornadas de Sociología de la UNLP, 5 al 7 de diciembre de 2012, La Plata, Argentina. Argentina en el escenario latinoamericano actual : Debates desde las ciencias sociales. EN: Actas. La Plata: UNLP-FAHCE. Disponible en: http://www.memoria.fahce.unlp.edu.ar/trab_eventos/ev.2228/ev.2228.pdf