Sugar-Free Coffee Cake with Blueberries
This sugar-free coffee cake with blueberries is an ideal dessert for family gatherings or parties with friends, as it’s very easy to prepare, colorful, and appetizing. In this article we’ll give you two different recipes: a sugar-free coffee cake with blueberries and yogurt, and a coffee and chocolate cake without eggs or milk, perfect for vegans. You have to try them!
Blueberry coffee cake with yogurt
This recipe is perfect for young children, because although it doesn’t have sugar, it has a very pleasant, sweet taste. In addition, it has a very juicy texture and is similar to traditional brownies or chocolate cake. Let’s take a look at the recipe.
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour (200 g)
- 4 eggs
- 1 Greek yogurt (200 ml)
- 2 tablespoons defatted cocoa powder (30 g)
- 1 sachet of baking powder
- Sunflower oil (80 ml)
- Blueberries – 4 oz (100 g)
- 1/2 cup of coffee (125 ml)
- Ground cinnamon (to taste)
Discover: How to Make a Blueberry Cheesecake
- You can substitute the wheat flour with flour from any other grain (spelt, rye, oatmeal). It’s better if you keep a portion of wheat flour, even if you want to include another type, so that the cake has a fluffier and softer texture.
- You can switch the sunflower oil with coconut oil, butter, or margarine. We don’t recommend using olive oil to make these types of desserts because it can be too strong and mask the flavor of the cake.
- You can use any sweetener instead of sugar: stevia, agave syrup, saccharin, liquid sweetener, etc.
- Finally, if anyone eating it is lactose intolerant, you can change the Greek yogurt out for soy or almond yogurt.
- First, before you start, preheat the oven to 190ºC (375ºF).
- In a bowl, add the eggs and beat until you get a foamy texture.
- Next, add the sweetener and the previously melted oil or butter and stir until all the ingredients are combined.
- With the help of a sieve, add the flour with the yeast, to keep lumps from forming.
- Mix with a spoon until you get a homogeneous texture.
- Add the cocoa powder and coffee made in a coffee maker, or 150 ml of water with 4 tablespoons of instant coffee.
- Wash and clean the blueberries, pit them and add them to the mixture.
- Next, grease an oven-safe pan and pour the mixture into it.
- To finish, bake for 30-40 minutes and let cool on a rack for a couple of hours so that it doesn’t lose its shape or texture.
- It’s important that you don’t open the oven while the cake is rising, because you can cause it to lose air and become uneven.
To know if the cake is completely done, you can poke the center with a skewer or toothpick and see if it comes out dry. If not, return to the oven for 5 more minutes and continue baking until it’s completely done.
This recipe is delicious with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. If you want a healthier version, you can add nuts or fruit salad to complete the dessert.
Vegan coffee, cocoa, and blueberry cake
If you prefer a 100% vegan alternative to sugar-free coffee cake, then take note of the following recipe. In addition to the mentioned ingredients, you can add a little cocoa for a more intense flavor.
- 1 cup of flour (200 g)
- Defatted cocoa powder – 3 oz (70 g)
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda (5 g)
- 1 glass of coffee (brewed in water) (200 ml)
- Agave syrup or liquid sweetener of your choice – 7 oz (150 g)
- Sunflower or coconut oil (100 ml)
- Blueberries – 3 oz (75 g)
- Ground cinnamon
- Vanilla extract
- First, preheat the oven to 190ºC (375ºF).
- Then make the coffee with water and instant coffee or make it in a coffee maker.
- In a bowl, add all the liquid ingredients: the agave syrup, sunflower oil, coffee, and vanilla extract (optional).
- Next, sift the flour and add it, the baking soda or yeast, and the defatted cocoa powder.
- Beat vigorously until all the ingredients are perfectly mixed and you get a homogeneous mixture.
- Then, taste the dough and add more syrup or cinnamon if you think it needs it.
- After that, wash and pit the blueberries and add them to the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a previously greased and floured mold.
- Bake for about 30-40 minutes, depending on the height of the dough and the size of the pan.
- Finally, take it out and let cool before serving.
Would you like to try these recipes at home? If you’re looking for a dessert without refined sugar, both are good options. Enjoy them as a snack or when you’re craving something sweet.It might interest you...