Delicious Fat-free, Eggless Vegan Carrot Cake
This eggless carrot cake is a delicious and very easy to make dessert. You will only need some vegetable-based ingredients and a good hand mixer.
Carrot cake is a very delicious dessert, not only because of the amount of ingredients it has, but also because of the way they’re combined. In general, a generous amount of mixed nuts are usually added, which give it a healthy nutritional value.
However, many recipes overuse dairy products and eggs, which makes the dessert excessively fatty.
The following recipe for carrot cake completely dispenses with the use of eggs and dairy products. Therefore, it’s a vegan recipe that’s made only with vegetable-based ingredients.
And although it does not contain fat, it keeps the nutritional value of the carrot, nuts and the fruits that you add. Below, we’ll explain it step by step.
Vegan Carrot Cake
- A pinch of salt.
- Powdered cinnamon (to taste)
- 1 cup of brown sugar (220g)
- Grated orange rind
- 1¼ cup of honey (500g)
- ½ cup of chopped walnuts (75g)
- 1 ⅔ cup of shredded carrot (250g)
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil or margarine (30 or 40g)
- 2 cups of whole wheat flour with yeast (240g)
- 3 tablespoons of cranberries or raisins (45g)
- Optional: toasted sliced almonds or peeled unsalted peanuts, dairy-free icing (to decorate)
Did you know? 6 Reasons to Eat Raisins in the Morning
- First, place all the dry ingredients (flour, salt, sugar) in a bowl, and stir using a spoon.
- Chop the nuts a bit (as needed).
- Preheat the oven to 180 ºC.
- Place the margarine in a small pot along with the honey and sugar, and heat until it’s completely melted.
- Pour the margarine mixture over the bowl with the dry ingredients, and proceed to mix everything with a spoon.
- Add the raisins and chopped nuts to the dough, and stir well with a spoon.
- Then, add the shredded carrot, and stir everything again. The resulting dough will be quite thick.
- Grease a baking pan with a little vegetable oil, and pour the carrot cake dough inside.
- Put it in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Then, take it out and let it cool (inside the pan) at room temperature for another 15 or 20 minutes, approximately.
- Once the carrot cake has cooled, put it on a cooling rack and proceed to decorate it as you would like.
Note: It should be said that, as it is quite a dense dessert, it can be a bit dry if you do not add a dairy-free icing or some kind of soft icing on top.
Dairy-free Icing to Decorate the Carrot Cake
- ¼ cup of sunflower oil (50 ml)
- 1 cup of soy milk (250 ml)
- 3 tablespoons of almonds or cashews (45 g)
- Optional: 2 tablespoons of sugar (30 g)
- Soak the almonds in plenty of water for at least two to four hours, so that they soften.
- Once they have softened, pour the almonds in the same bowl as the oil and soy milk.
- Mix everything using a hand mixer. It’s important not to move the mixer at the beginning until the mixture can blend well.
- Strain the mixture with a cloth and squeeze well.
- Let the resulting liquid chill for a whole night.
- The next morning, you will have a dairy-free icing thick enough to decorate the top of your carrot cake.
Another recipe for non-dairy icing
- Water or vegetable-based milk
- A pinch of salt
- 1 cup of almonds (150 g)
- 1 cup of cashew nuts (150 g)
- Optional: 1 or 2 tablespoons of sugar (15 or 30 g)
- As in the previous recipe, soak the almonds and cashews for at least 4 hours.
- Once they’re soft, put the nuts into the same container and cover with water or a vegetable-based milk.
- Add a pinch of salt and sugar, if desired.
- Blend all the ingredients without moving the blender so that the mixture can blend well.
- Strain and squeeze the cloth well (so as not to lose a lot) and cover.
- Refrigerate for a whole night and, the next day, the dairy-free icing will be ready.
Although we have opted to top this cake with a dairy-free icing, there are other options for decorating your cake. For example, you can add orange marmalade (homemade and sugarless) or peanut butter, among other toppings.
The important thing is that you avoid ingredients that may have a larger amount of fat than the rest of the cake ingredients. Keep the dessert low in fat.