Six Solutions for Smelly Feet
Having smelly feet is an uncomfortable problem that can result from a variety of factors and not just poor hygiene as most people think.
Though most of the time foot odor has to do with poor hygiene, it can also occur as a result of hormone imbalance, poor diet, or even skin fungus.
People who have foot odor often suffer from stress in social situations because the odor can become a target for teasing and shaming while in the midst of others.
Although there are many conventional products that neutralize foot odor, sometimes we need to turn to other measures to eliminate the problem for good. Fortunately, there are plenty of natural remedies and solutions that can help solve the problem without costing you a fortune.
In today’s post, we’d like to give you six solutions to try for yourself at home.
Solutions for smelly feet
1. Wear cotton socks
Wearing socks made with synthetic material can prevent your feet from transpiring as they should, which could result in unpleasant odors due to the building humidity in the material.
This is exactly why you should opt for socks that are made with natural high-quality fabrics, such as cotton.
On a further note, you shouldn’t wear footwear without socks (with the exception of sandals). This bad habit only concentrates sweat and bacteria, which are the culprits of bad smells.
2. Choose proper footwear
One of the main causes of smelly feet is the choice of footwear. Shoes made with unbreathable material don’t allow the skin to breathe properly, which encourages bacteria growth.
Preventing this situation is why choosing high-quality shoes that have breathable material is so important. Look for shoes that don’t trap humidity. You should also clean your shoes regularly and apply deodorant products such as baking soda or talcum powder.
3. Maintain good hygiene habits
Daily hygiene habits are essential for preventing foul odors. These habits will help you eliminate all the grime, fungus, and bacteria that have a hand in the problem.
- Wash your feet well every day with a bar of neutral, antibacterial soap. Dry them thoroughly, making sure not to leave a trace of moisture between the fingers.
- Avoid putting on shoes immediately. Let your feet air dry for a few minutes before putting on shoes.
4. Smelly feet: use black tea
- 5 black tea bags
- 3 c. of water
- Firstly, place the black tea bags into boiling water
- Then, cover the water and let cool for 20 minutes
- When cooled down, remove the tea bags and pour the tea into a foot bath
- Firstly, soak your feet in the water for 20 minutes
- Then, dry off well and, if necessary, repeat the treatment every day
5. Try sage leaves
Another natural remedy against smelly feet is sage. This plant, famous for its multiple medicinal properties, is perfect for controlling excessive sweating and bacterial growth for feet.
- 6 sage leaves
- 3 c. of water
- Firstly, add the sage leaves to the pot of water
- Bring the water to a boil and when boiling, remove from heat
- Then, let the water cool down enough for use
- Finally, strain the water and pour it into a foot bath
- Firstly, soak your feet for 20 minutes
- When finished, dry feet off well
Note: You can also put some sage leaves directly in your shoes to improve the smell.
Read about the Six Healing Properties of Sage
6. Do you have smelly feet? Try a ginger massage
Did you know that ginger can neutralize unpleasant foot odor? Its penetrating smell, in addition to its essential oils, eliminates odor and stops those smelly microorganisms from growing.
- ½ ginger root
- 3 c. of water
- Firstly, grate the ginger root and add it to a pot along with the water
- Then, let the infusion blend together over low heat for 10 minutes
- After 10 minutes, let the water cool down until its apt for use
- Sprinkle the infusion over your feet and massage until well absorbed
- Dry off any wet area before using footwear
If you still have smelly feet, the best thing to do is to consult your doctor. The professional will do a check-up and will tell you what’ll work best for you.It might interest you...
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Foot Odor Home Remedies: 9 Remedies That Really Work | Reader’s Digest. Retrieved from https://www.rd.com/health/conditions/foot-odor-home-remedies/
- Limone, S. How to Stop Sweaty, Smelly Feet : Tips, Tricks and Remedies. Retrieved from https://www.sweatblock.com/blog/stop-sweaty-feet/
- Trick or treat, smell my feet!. (2017). Retrieved from https://www.anklefoot.net/blog/trick-or-treat-smell-my-feet