Remove Bad Smells From Your Mattress With These Tips
Does your bed stink? Have you ever disinfected your mattress? If you've noticed bad smells, use these tricks to make your mattress smell like new! The best part of all is that they're easy to make and don't contain harmful chemicals.
To remove bad smells from your mattress, you don’t need to use perfumes or expensive products. Although there are some available solutions on the market, it’s best to opt for home cleaning tricks that combine natural ingredients.
These alternatives are fairly inexpensive and don’t harm the environment. Furthermore, they have disinfectant and anti-fungal properties that help eliminate mites, fungi, and other microorganisms that can make your mattress smell.
Thanks to this, applying them regularly keeps your mattress surface flawless and allergen-free. Among other things, they remove those unsightly stains that form due to the absorption of sweat and dead cells.
Try them out on your mattress today!
Baking soda to remove bad smells from mattresses
Baking soda is one of the most effective organic ingredients to remove bad smells from mattresses. Its deodorant properties neutralize unpleasant aromas caused by mold and bodily fluids.
It also acts as a natural detergent, facilitating the removal of stains or unexpected spills. In turn, it protects the mattress fabric, thus prolonging its lifespan. In this case, we’re going to enhance its properties with hydrogen peroxide for a deeper clean.
- ¼ cup of baking soda (50 g)
- 1 cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide (250 ml)
- 2 drops of liquid soap
- Pour the baking soda into a bucket. Then, add the hydrogen peroxide.
- Mix well and add the drops of liquid soap.
- After getting a well-mixed product, store the mixture in a spray bottle.
How to use
- Stir the product before use and spray it on the mattress.
- Leave on for several hours, until completely dry. If possible, put the mattress in
- a place where it can get some fresh air.
- Once it’s dry, scrub with a brush to remove all the baking soda residue.
- Repeat at least once a month.
White vinegar to remove bad smells from mattresses
White vinegar doesn’t have a pleasant scent. However, it’s one of the best home remedies to neutralize bad smells from mattresses. In addition, it’s an allergy solution because it eliminates mites and bacteria that live on mattress surfaces.
However, you should apply it moderately, since the idea is not to wet the mattress. For a more pleasant aroma, it can be combined with lavender or lemon essential oils.
- ½ cup of white vinegar (125 ml)
- 1 cup of warm water (250 ml)
- 10 drops of any essential oil
- Dilute the white vinegar in a cup of warm water.
- Then, add the essential oil and pour the mixture into a spray bottle.
How to use
- Spray the product on the mattress and let air dry.
- Use it whenever you notice an unpleasant odor.
Note: This remedy doesn’t remove stains. Therefore, to leave your mattress completely clean, you have to supplement it with other solutions.
Baking soda and lavender oil
Lavender essential oil is a natural air freshener that can mask unwanted odors. This is why it can remove that musty mattress smell if combined with baking soda. In turn, this solution disinfects and also eliminates mites.
- 1 cup of baking soda (200 g)
- 20 drops of lavender oil
- Pour the baking soda into a bowl.
- Next, add the lavender oil and mix well.
- If the paste is wet, let it dry for a few minutes.
How to use
- Spread the product over the mattress.
- Leave on for 10 minutes and scrub with a brush.
- Finally, remove the baking soda residue (preferably with a vacuum).
- Apply once a month.
Remove your sheets and let your mattress “breathe” for at least two hours before making the bed. Although we’re used to tidying things up right away, it’s best to air your mattress out to prevent germs from forming due to the moisture and heat.
Does your bed stink? Have you ever disinfected your mattress? If you’ve noticed bad smells, use these tricks to make your mattress smell like new! The best part of all is that they’re easy to make and don’t contain harmful chemicals.