Fruits and Medicinal Plants to Quit Smoking
Today in our blog we want to talk about the best medicinal plants and fruits to quit smoking. However, always remember that the best ally to do so is your own will power.
Quitting smoking is not easy. Nobody can do it overnight, and even less so if one does not have enough willpower. We’re all very well aware that miracles of this type do not exist. As of right now, no “effective remedy” exists that will help you completely get rid of the tobacco craving and avoid the withdrawal symptoms.
What we do know is that smoking is bad for you. Smoking kills. That’s why it’s important to quit as soon as possible.
1. Passionflower to fight the withdrawal symptoms
We’ve already talked about the many benefits of passionflower. You already know that you can find it in a variety of natural health food stores and that it’s wonderful to alleviate nervousness and to help fight anxiety.
It’s usually said that the passionflower is one of the best medicinal plants to quit smoking because it’s an aid to fight the withdrawal symptoms.
While it’s not enough to quit smoking on it’s own, it helps when you’re trying to quit and you experience the common symptoms of anxiety, nervousness, moodiness, insomnia, desperation… It acts as a mediator, a good facilitator.
How do you use passionflower?
- You can find passionflower in natural stores and it’s available in capsules, pills and liquid and also in tea bags for infusions.
- The Medical Center of the University of Maryland (United States) tells us that in order to combat the symptoms of withdrawal in adults, you can take between 15 and 30 drops, three times a day.
- If you want to make an infusion, you only need to boil 20 grams of the dried passionflower plant in a cup of water (200 ml).
5 Best Teas for Peaceful Sleep
2. Licorice, a psychological ally to quit smoking
Licorice contains glycyrrhizin, which is the main ingredient when attempting to quit smoking
Thanks to this stimulant and natural protector it’s possible to reduce the anxiety for getting that cigarette in your mouth.
It’s a psychological ally capable of reducing the need to smoke. It’s also a good sweetener, a natural anti-inflammatory, an analgesic and an ally to protect our stomach. However, it’s not recommended for people with diabetes.
How do you use licorice?
The best way to receive the benefits of these plants to quit smoking is to use them as an infusion. Take note of how you can do it below:
- 5 grams of the dry licorice root
- 3 cups of water (600 ml)
- It’s very easy. The first thing to do is boil the water and then add the 5 grams of dry licorice root. It’s best to use a copper pot since this material helps to keep the main active properties of the licorice root.
- Once it’s done, let it sit for 10 minutes and then pour it into a glass jar.
- You should drink 3 cups a day, after each meal. You can drink it hot, warm, or even cold; however you wish.
3. Infusion of ginger and lemon to fight the dependency
Ginger is a wonderful medicinal root which may help you fight the “urge to smoke.” In addition to acting as a natural relaxant, anti-inflammatory and antibiotic, it also has the same qualities as licorice to help put a stop to the nicotine dependency.
Above all, you will find its acidic and strong flavor very interesting, hence, it’s also very beneficial to accompany it with some natural juice. The sensation will be even more intense and will act as a powerful natural antioxidant. Both of these plants make a delicious drink to quit smoking. Take note of how you can prepare it below.
- 60 grams of grated ginger root
- The juice of ½ a lemon
- 3 cups of water (600 ml)
You only need to boil the three cups of water and add a little ginger root. Let it cook for at least 20 minutes, then remove it from the heat and let it sit for another 10 minutes. The next step? Add the juice from half a lemon. You should drink your first cup on an empty stomach and the other two cups after each meal. You’ll feel great.
5 Wonderful Benefits of Lemon Juice for Our Body
4. Noni juice to fight the addiction
Do you know the fruit noni? It is also called Indian mulberry, guanábana, soursop or cheese fruit.
Noni is ideal to treat inflammation and cough and to reduce arthritis pain. It’s also a great fruit to quit smoking. We will explain how it should be taken bellow:
- ½ noni fruit
- A glass of water (200 ml)
- A tablespoon of honey (20 grams)
You should drink this juice each morning, just after getting up. This way, you’ll fight the morning cravings for your first cigarette. You simply need to put the noni fruit and water in the blender and mix until it becomes a smooth juice. Afterwards, you can sweeten it with a tablespoon of honey. You’ll love it.
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Borrelli, B. (2013). Motivational interviewing for smoking cessation. In Advances in Smoking Cessation. https://doi.org/10.2217/EBO.12.416
- Glover, M., & McRobbie, H. (2016). Smoking Cessation. In International Encyclopedia of Public Health. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-803678-5.00412-4