Natural Treatment for Gastric Ulcers
A stomach ulcer is a lesion that appears in the mucosa lining of the stomach and small intestine. The most common symptom is burning in the stomach. In this article, we will explain how to detect this illness as well as its natural treatment through dietary advice and natural remedies.
A stomach ulcer appears when the body has an excess amount of acid, especially in the digestive tract. This damages and irritates the tract and facilitates the proliferation of pathogens, as in the case of Helicobacter pylori. According to doctors, this bacteria is the most common cause of this condition. At any rate, it is important to point out that this bacteria only lives if the area is too acidic, which is why it is important to eliminate all possible causes of hyperacidity.
Hyperacidity could be caused by a poor diet (too acidic), habitual consumption of medicines like aspirin or ibuprofen, bad habits, stress, or weak digestion.
Although a lot of people take antacids or sodium bicarbonate to relieve the acidity, you should know that this remedy only temporarily relives the problem, and it will never be able to cure the illness. Quite the opposite; over time, if you use too many antacids, you could alter too radically the stomach’s acids, which could cause multiple diseases.
An alkaline diet
Diet is the basis of natural treatment for this condition. You should avoid foods that make the body more acidic:
- Fried foods
- Refined foods
- Industrial baking
Avoid plants and spices that strengthen gastric juices, even though they might have other properties, but that contribute to hyperacidity.
Rather, we recommend the following foods:
- Pineapple: pineapple facilitates digestion due to its proteolytic enzymes, but do not mix it with other carbohydrates (bread, pasta, pastries, rice, etc.). It is the perfect dessert before or after eating vegetables or salad, and meat or fish.
- Cabbage: cabbage helps heal ulcers, but there are a lot of people that don’t digest it well raw. Eat it cooked with a pinch of cumin, or if raw, marinade it in a vinaigrette, or eat it as a sauerkraut.
- Pepper: pepper is a Solanaceae that acts as a great gastric toner.
- Lemon: lemon, in spite of being a citrus fruit and acidic, has a neutralizing effect on acids once it arrives at the stomach. This is why it is recommended to make a habit of eating it, combined with foods or juice, mixed with water.
- Potato: potato is a great natural antacid. Its juice acts functions perfectly for counteracting stomach burning.
- Millet: millet is the only alkalizing grain which is why it should be consumed more regularly than other grains, like rice, wheat, etc.
- Grapes: one of the most alkalizing fruits around, but should be preferably consumed organic, as they could contain a lot of pesticides.
- Celery: celery is a great tonic and it great at alkalizing. It can be added to broths and strews, but can also be eaten raw in salads.
If you are having a hyperacidity crisis, we recommend following a strict diet until it improves, with potatoes, cabbage, carrots, and apples. You can cook them by boiling or baking them, or eating them raw or in a smoothie.
Although these foods are especially recommended, there are some people that don’t tolerate them well. If you feel that they give you heartburn you should remove them from your diet.
In the past it was recommended to spend nine days drinking the juice of one quarter of a large raw, peeled, and well washed potato (approximately one quarter or one third of the glass) mixed with two large spoonfuls of extra virgin olive oil. This anti-inflammatory and alkalizing preparation is very effective and will produce improvement in only nine days.
You can make raw potato juice yourself or even buy it in diet or herb stores.
You can also take daily mallow and plantain infusions which help improve irritation and inflammation throughout the entire digestive tract.
Lastly, another natural antacid that you could take without harming yourself is orally consumed white clay, sold in herb and dietary stores. Mix one teaspoon of clay with water and mix with a wooden spoon. After ten minutes, mix again, and drink the mixture.