Natural Remedies to Improve Your Memory
Besides consuming these natural remedies, you can also perform mental exercises to improve your memory, like memorizing lists of objects, or do Sudoku and crossword puzzles to stimulate the brain.
Do you often forget where your keys are or who you had to call? Do you have trouble remembering important things? Then read the following article where you’ll find some of the best natural remedies to help improve your memory.
Causes of forgetfulness
Older people aren’t the only ones who suffer from memory problems. Young people and adults are finding it more and more difficult to remember things too – from a purse to a name, to what you studied the day before to your pending agenda.
If you’re suffering from poor memory lately, it may be due to several factors, such as the demands of work and your personal life as well as the well-known enemy: stress.
But beyond that, there are other reasons why our memory may be “clouded.” Here are some of the possible causes:
Certain drugs, such as antihistamines, anesthetics, diet pills and medications to control blood pressure, have the “capacity” to numb the brain, making it more difficult to remember details.
Memory loss can also be caused by pregnancy, menopause or other changes in hormones (also because of medicine). But this is normal.
Lack of sleep
When we don’t get enough rest, we can begin to notice certain problems retaining information as well as altered memory and reflexes.
Be careful with insomnia, sleeping less than six hours per day, staying up until dawn every day, etc.
People with high blood pressure are more likely to suffer cognitive damage and memory problems after age 45. This is because the small cerebral arteries begin to weaken.
Home remedies to improve your memory
If you’re having trouble remembering things, pay attention to these home treatments to improve your memory:
- Drink an infusion of sage daily (put a handful of dried leaves in a cup of boiling water, let stand for a few minutes and then strain before drinking).
- Drink rosemary tea sweetened with honey (the same procedure as the above recipe, adding a tablespoon of pure honey just before drinking).
- Eat three dried apricots, three plums and three almonds every day.
- Consume a portion of nuts for nine consecutive days. The first day, eat six nuts and increase each day until the last day you eat 15.
- Add fresh ginger (grated or cut into very thin slices) to your meals, such as salads, soups, sauces, etc. You can also drink it in tea. Be careful with the amount because it increases blood pressure.
- Eat an unpeeled red apple every day.
- Eat a tablespoon of brewer’s yeast mixed with a teaspoon of pollen and a tablespoon of soy lecithin (you can obtain these items in health food stores).
- Mix a tablespoon of sugar, a tablespoon of royal jelly and a teaspoon of pollen in a cup of soy milk. Stir well and drink in the morning, warm or cold.
- Prepare a delicious juice for the memory with 125 grams (4.4 ounces) of dates, 250 grams (8.8 ounces) of figs and 3 carrots. When you get a consistent mixture in the blender, strain and drink. It’s best in the morning and on an empty stomach.
- Prepare a shake made with a cup of water, two raw almonds, orange juice, three walnuts and mango juice (with pulp to make it more creamy). Blend everything together and drink each morning.
- Mix five grams (0.2 ounces) of each of these ingredients: mint, basil, raspberries, yarrow and malva. Place into a pan with a cup of water and bring to a boil for several minutes. Let cool and strain. Drink every night after dinner and before bed, repeating the procedure for two weeks straight. Stop drinking the mixture for two weeks and then start again.
- Boil a liter (4.2 cups) of water and add 7 teaspoons of anise. Lower the heat to the minimum and boil until the contents are reduced to about 700 ml (3 cups). Strain and add four tablespoons of honey. Drink 2 tablespoons of this remedy three times a day to improve your memory.
- Combine gingko biloba (purchased in health food stores) with rosemary to protect the brain from damage caused by free radicals and prevent deterioration of the vital functions of the mind.
- Shred an artichoke and place in a jar, cover with water. Put the top on the jar and place it in a pot of boiling water. Leave on low heat for two hours (if necessary add more water in the jar). Remove and strain the contents. Drink 3 tablespoons 3 times a day.
- Leave 4 prunes soaked in water (in a glass) for 12 hours. Whip the plums with a glass of warm milk and a fig. Drink at night before bed to improve your memory (it’s also used for constipation).
- Extract the juice of a grapefruit and an orange. Peel and chop an apple. Put everything in a blender. Drink every other day, but especially before an exam. This nutrient-rich remedy helps improve your memory and is perfect for consuming while studying because it enables you to focus better.