Mint — also known as mentha, spearmint and peppermint — is a plant that is regularly used in the preparation of certain dishes, mainly to give them aroma. Moreover, it is also used to prepare cocktails and certain medicinal drinks.
This aromatic plant is used in many therapeutic treatments due to its multiple benefits and its numerous properties that contribute to good health.
Benefits of mint
- One of the most important properties of mint is that it creates antispasmodic and carminative effects, which help to combat digestive problems, especially in cases of indigestion, flatulence and stomach pain or colic.
- It is also important for the treatment of the respiratory tract because it contains certain components that are powerful expectorants.
- This medicinal herb is quite effective when treating menstrual cramps.
- Mint contains components that are very effective for treating anxiety problems: these same components act by relaxing us and preventing possible consequences that could be brought about by this condition.
- Mint is very effective as an antiseptic and painkiller, therefore, its use is recommended for the treatment of injuries. How is it used? By preparing an infusion that is full of mint, we can clean a wound, feeling immediate relief from the pain and helping to cure it more quickly. In addition, it is used on certain types of burns. For the treatment of burns, mixing the infusion with a small amount of olive oil is recommended; this mixture is applied directly to the burn, which helps to avoid stinging and a possible infection.
- This wonderful plant is very effective in eliminating bad breath since the scent of mint is very pleasant and it can stay with you for the whole day. Menthol, one of its main components is excellent for this purpose. Furthermore, it is very refreshing.
- Using mint, you can prepare a delicious and relaxing tea to drink before bed. This helps us to reach a peaceful, relaxing and restorative sleep.
- Mint infusions come highly recommended in order to eliminate gases that are found accumulated in the digestive tract, which is very useful to eliminate flatulence.
Preparing Mint Infusions
Preparing an infusion with mint is quite simple: you just need to keep in mind that the leaves that you are going to use must be soft or tender.
Then, boil half of a liter of water (leaving a few tender mint leaves to the side in a pitcher). When the water is boiling, add it to the pitcher containing the mint leaves and cover it for about twenty minutes.
After that, strain the mixture using a colander and you can drink your first cup of mint tea (of the three that should be drunk per day).
As can be observed, there are many benefits that can be obtained from a plant that most people believe is only good for stomach pains and for giving some foods aroma. It is very important for us to take interest in discovering the great benefits that medicinal plants can offer to our health. Moreover, it is good to know that with plants, we do not experience problems of side effects as long as we use them according to their recommended use and without consuming them in excessive amounts.