Natural Products to Whiten Teeth
There are certain home remedies that can help whiten teeth naturally. On the other hand, you should also avoid certain unhealthy habits, like smoking tobacco or drinking coffee to prevent yellowing your teeth.
Nowadays, there are many different dental treatments to whiten teeth, and many have become very popular. However, they’re done by using chemical or other non-natural products and can damage the enamel of your teeth, and this damage is irreversible.
You don’t have to go to these extremes or spend a fortune to whiten your teeth. If you want to have whiter teeth but are hesitant to try some of the treatments you’ve seen or heard about, try using some natural remedies.
How do Teeth Become Stained or Yellow?
Enamel covers the teeth. It’s slightly porous and “fills” with the food we eat. That’s why if we drink red wine or eat blueberries, our teeth become slightly violet in color. This is not a problem, because if we brush our teeth, it goes away.
However, there are certain foods and drinks that stain our teeth more permanently. With time, our teeth gradually become yellowish or brownish in color.
Colored drinks such as coffee, tea, and soda all can stain your teeth permanently. Tobacco and bad oral hygiene also also increase the porosity of the enamel and lead to yellow teeth.
The acid in certain foods also damages teeth. Eating meat, dairy products, eggs, citrus fruits, refined sugar, beer, artificial sweeteners, soda, sweets, and vegetable oils frequently also negatively affects the coloring of teeth and the enamel.
A typical mistake many people make is brushing their teeth as soon as they finish eating. While this does help to prevent cavities from forming, it also leaves the enamel little time to harden again.
You may also be interested in: 6 Easy Home Remedies for Plaque on Your Teeth
Beneficial Foods to Whiten Teeth
While certain foods stain your teeth, other foods can help whiten your teeth. For example, many fruits and vegetables can actually help whiten teeth, like pears, apples, carrots, cucumbers, cauliflower, lettuce, broccoli, and spinach.
Some help whiten teeth because of their fiber content, while others have nutrients that create a protective film in the enamel of the teeth that helps prevent them from becoming stained.
Cheese also helps whiten teeth because it has proteins and fats that neutralize the acids in other foods. It also stimulates the production of saliva, which has phosphorus and calcium, which helps to re-mineralize the enamel.
Home Remedies to Whiten Teeth
Here are some simple ways you can naturally whiten your teeth:
The orange peel – particularly, the white part that is on the inside of the orange between the outer layer of the peel and the flesh of the orange – is a great natural remedy to whiten teeth. This part of the orange is called the mesocarp and contains a substance that whitens teeth.
- Take this part of the orange peel and rub it on your teeth for 45 seconds.
- After half an hour has passed, brush your teeth.
Strawberries and Baking Soda
You can also make a paste using strawberries and baking soda. Strawberries act as a natural bleaching agent.
- Just crush the strawberries and mix it with the baking soda.
- Apply it to your teeth and leave for 20 minutes. Then, wait 30 minutes and brush your teeth.
- Don’t use this remedy too frequently (a maximum once a week or every 2 weeks).
Activated Charcoal Powder
- Place the activated charcoal powder on your toothbrush and brush every tooth.
- While this may look and feel strange at first, it is possibly the best way to whiten teeth.
Discover: Brighten Your Teeth with Banana Peels
- Eat a slice of papaya or an apple daily. These fruits strengthen the gums and help whiten teeth.
- Place two tablespoons of sage leaves in a cup of boiling water. Let cool and then swish the water around in your mouth. You can also chew a leaf.
- Mix two tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide with one tablespoon of water. Rub gently over stained teeth. Rinse with plenty of water. Make sure not to swallow the hydrogen peroxide mixture.
- Make a paste with one tablespoon of brewer’s yeast, two tablespoons of salt and water. Brush with this as if it were toothpaste. Don’t swallow it.
- Mix half a cup of brewer’s yeast and two teaspoons of salt to make a paste. Brush your teeth with this mixture, but make sure not to swallow it.
Baking Soda as a Teeth Whitening Agent
All the home remedies mentioned above are very effective at helping your teeth become pearly white. However, when it comes to home remedies to whiten teeth, baking soda is the most effective treatment.
It’s an alternative to other mainstream teeth whitening procedures and products, is less expensive, and is healthier for your teeth.
- Just pour 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda into a cup and moisten your toothbrush with water.
- Dip it into the baking soda so that it sticks to the toothbrush like toothpaste.
It can have a salty or acidic taste, but don’t worry. This taste will go away as soon as you rinse with water. However, this treatment should be done rarely (once a month), since it can cause damage to the enamel.
Final Tips to Have Whiter Teeth
- Always keep your mouth clean.
- Don’t brush too hard or with a lot of force.
- Use dental floss.
- Don’t smoke.
- Reduce your consumption of coffee, tea, and soft drinks.