Natural Masks for Dull Hair
Restoring shine to dull hair is no easy task. Lost shine can make your hair look dull and listless. This type of hair is also usually dry, coarse, and difficult to comb. They look bad to the eye and to the touch. So, in this article, we’re going to tell you all about some natural masks and tips to treat dull hair.
The characteristics of dull hair
The loss of shine or brightness in the hair is due to an imbalance or alteration in the hair shaft and cuticle.
This can be caused by poor nutrition, climate, mechanical aggressions (such as certain styling products, violent or dry brushing, flat ironing or blow-drying, etc.), the sun‘s rays (especially in summer when coming out of the chlorinated swimming pool or the salty sea), stress, pollution (smog, smoking) and the use of water that’s too chalky or “hard”.
Some tips to stop your dull hair from looking so lifeless are:
- Let it dry naturally. Don’t use the hair dryer so much, unless you have to go out, it’s very cold or you’re going to go to bed right away.
- Forget the dyes, straightening, or perms for a while, which dry and damage the hair.
- Don’t abuse hair softeners and conditioners, as they actually make it look duller and duller. Among their common ingredients is silicone, which sticks to the hair cuticle and deteriorates it.
- Use shampoo and conditioner for dull hair.
- Always finish washing your hair with a little cold water to close the follicles.
- Improve your diet, since one of the causes of dull hair is a lack of vitamin B6 and iron. Choose foods that contain Omega 3 fatty acids and vitamin B (walnuts, almonds, dairy products, wheat, brewer’s yeast, and grains). Don’t forget zinc either, which is present in egg yolks, seafood, and lentils.
- From time to time, use a hair ampoule (one of those sold in perfumeries). They can be great allies for this condition.
Remedies, recipes, and home secrets to improve hair shine
If you don’t like chemical treatments or you’re looking for a natural solution to your dry and dull problems, you can take advantage of the benefits of natural and home remedies. These masks will be of great help in your fight against dry and dull hair. Don’t hesitate to try them for excellent results!
We think you may also enjoy reading this article: Get Silky Shiny Hair with this Banana and Avocado Hair Mask
A honey and egg mask
- Mix a tablespoon of honey with an egg yolk until you get a cream.
- Spread well on dry hair, with circular massages on the scalp.
- Place a warm towel and leave it on for at least ten minutes.
- Then, rinse well and wash your hair as usual.
- After using the shampoo for dull hair, it is recommended to rinse with the juice of a lemon and a tablespoon of vinegar. The shine will be guaranteed. In addition, you can do it before or after the conditioner.
- When the hair is naturally dry (without a hair dryer), rub a piece of silk all over it.
Homemade rinse for shinier hair
This lotion will make your hair more than luminous in just 15 minutes. This is a very good option for a salon result, but at home and with natural products.
All you need is fresh rosemary and water:
- In a pot place a large amount of water and add fresh rosemary branches.
- Place on the fire and let it boil for 15 minutes.
- Remove, let it cool and strain the infusion.
- Apply the liquid to the scalp as a final rinse, after your traditional shampoo and conditioner wash. Do not rinse.
A carrot, egg, and avocado mask
For this homemade mask recipe for dull hair, you will need a carrot, half an avocado, and an egg yolk.
- Place the carrot in a blender (once you peel it) and grind it into a paste. You can also grate it.
- Add the egg yolk and the mashed and shelled avocado.
- Mix well until you have a smooth and creamy paste. The right consistency is when you can spread it on your hair without dripping. If this does not happen, you can add a little olive oil.
- Apply to your scalp and let it act for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse with plenty of warm water and wash as usual.
Like this article? You may also like to read: The Main Mistakes When Bleaching Hair and How to Do It Correctly
Fruit lotion for shinier, silkier hair
For this recipe, you need 2 bananas, 2 oranges, and 5 tablespoons of honey.
- Peel bananas and then peel them.
- Squeeze the oranges.
- Blend everything for several minutes until you have a smooth paste.
- Apply the lotion on the scalp and hair in its entirety (especially on the ends, where it is usually drier and duller), and massage well with your fingertips.
- Let it act for two hours and cover your head with a plastic cap or towel.
- Rinse well and wash as usual.
Never forget that hair health is part of your overall health. Your dermatologist or hair stylist can always advise you if you have any questions.
Images courtesy of Marta Norgaand, Boudewijn Berends, Maria Morri, Martin de Witte, Hebe Aguilera, and Andrea Castelli.It might interest you...