Nasal Congestion Relief - Four Hacks
Nasal congestion isn’t hard to relief, it’s just a symptom that appears when there’s an infection in the respiratory tract or allergies. Their main cause is inflammation of the mucous lining of the nose, the same that blocks the nasal passages, making breathing difficult. Is this symptom afflicting you? Then, you should know the hacks you can put into practice to decongest your nose and get relief.
It’s important to make it clear that any hack you put into practice should never replace the treatment prescribed by your doctor or any recommendations made by a professional. These hacks are just a complementary measure.
It involves an inflammation of the mucous lining in the nose, which makes it difficult to breathe because it blocks the nasal passages.
Even though nasal congestion doesn’t represent a serious health problem, it’s still uncomfortable and can make your nighttime rest difficult. Thereby leading you to be more tired and feel blah during the day.
Methods for nasal congestion relief
1. Nasal washes
As everyone knows, you must eliminate excess mucus in order to recover and feel better. Abundant consumption of liquid will help loosen it and facilitate it to come out. Now, nasal washes can help you expel mucus and avoid spending most of your day looking for tissues.
To perform a nasal wash you can prepare a homemade saline solution. However, you should give priority to the ones you can buy in your local pharmacy because they come in anatomical containers and are much more comfortable and safe to use.
- 1 tbsp. sea salt (10 grams)
- One liter of water
- 1 needle-free syringe
- Boil the water, add the tablespoon of salt, and let it cool down.
- Next, use 5 mL of this solution and inject it into each nostril.
- Repeat the same process twice a day, daily.
2. Steam inhalation for nasal congestion relief
Steam is are another one of the most popular (and effective) methods to decongest your nose. They also help loosen the mucus and thus, expel it more easily.
To make your own homemade inhalator just grab a large pot, fill it with water, and bring it to a boil. Then, remove it from the heat once it reaches its boiling point. Now, proceed to inhale the steam (at a safe distance and with a towel or blanket above).
Some people recommend adding eucalyptus leaves, chamomile and other aromatic herbs to the water. This promotes a feeling of greater relief. Note that there’s no scientific evidence to indicate that the use of the leaves of one species or another provides more benefits or a more potent effect. Ultimately, the use of herbs isn’t really necessary.
Chamomile steam – What should you do?
- To begin, add the chamomile and let it boil for 5 minutes.
- After this time, remove the pot from the heat and, covering your head with a towel, begin to inhale the steam that comes off it (at a safe distance or else you could burn yourself).
- Repeat as many times as you want during the day.
3. Apply a hot water compress
Another way to use heat to relieve inflamed nasal cavities is by applying hot water compresses. Due to their calming effect, these are great for reducing the irritation caused by excessive mucus accumulation.
What should you do
- Dip a cloth in a cup of hot water.
- Squeeze it to remove the excess water.
- If it’s already cooled down a bit and is at a tolerable temperature for the skin, then place it over the area of your nose and forehead. Leave it there for 5-10 minutes and remove it when you feel relief.
You might be interested Why is Hydration so Important?
4. Cut a fresh onion
Onions are neither a cure nor a decongestant. However, they provide relief by helping to keep the environment moist.
What should you do?
- Cube a fresh onion into small pieces.
- Then, place the onion on a plate and put it on your bedside table at bedtime. The onion will help keep the environment moist and, therefore, provide relief. A trick: the smaller the pieces the better it’ll work.
What else can you do for nasal congestion relief?
Of course, in addition to following your doctor’s advice and doing these hacks, you’ll have to maintain a balanced diet and stay well hydrated.It might interest you...