Make These Beautiful Plant Pots Using Recycled Materials
Learn to make plant pots with recycled materials. You'll find nice and creative ideas that no one wanted to share before.
Plant pots are containers in which you can place any kind of plants, including small bonsai, flowers, aromatic herbs (like mint, for example), and even trees.
Their purpose is to provide adequate support to the decorative plant that’s been put in a given place (be it interior or exterior).
Even though they can be bought in any gardening store and even in supermarkets, it’s often better to make your own to your tastes.
After all, those that are usually sold are made of red clay (and nowadays, plastic) and they’re not always pleasing to the eye. Of course, it all depends on your decorating style.
In this article, we’ll look at some planting pot ideas to get you motivated.
Pots made with cans
The advantage of making pots with food cans is that you can find a use for something you would otherwise throw out. After all, you probably have a lot of cans at home that simply get tossed in the trash after emptying them out.
Furthermore, they come in various shapes and sizes, which is great for making a variety of pots. This way, your garden will be colorful for less money and, most importantly, they can be tailored to your style.
- 1 knife
- Masking tape
- Spray paint
- Cans of various sizes
- Take a can and make holes in its base to drain any excess water from watering the plants. This way, you’ll avoid having the water accumulate in the pot, which would lead to root rot.
- Paint the surface of the can with the spray paint (whatever color you’d like).
- Let the paint dry for the time that’s specified on the paint can.
- Put masking tape on the pot vertically or horizontally.
- Spray the paint over the can’s entire surface.
- Once dry, remove the masking tape, add rich soil, and finally, add the plant that you’ve chosen.
Want more information? Read:5 Beautiful Ideas for Creating a Mini Garden in Your Home
Vintage flower pots made from cans
Here is another decorating method. If you like antiques and vintage things, make sure to try out this lovely technique. It involves aging the can a little using paint, giving it a romantic and nostalgic touch.
With these simple steps, you’ll be able to make designs that will look like they’re straight from the early 20th century. These would look great on a balcony or in the corner of a patio.
What you’ll need
- Fine grit sandpaper
- A piece of white candle
- Seal with flower pattern or whichever you prefer
- Acrylic paint – sienna and antique white
- Primer (to make sure the paint stays on the can)
- First, take the can and make some holes in its base. This is important, as it will keep the plant from rotting.
- Mix a little bit of primer with white acrylic paint.
- Paint the can’s outer and inner surface (this prevents rusting).
- Run the candle over the upper and lower edges. This will give it a worn look. The paint won’t stick to the can where the candle was passed.
- Paint with the white acrylic paint.
- You can gently sand the can once it’s dry to give it a worn look.
- Put sienna acrylic on the seal and press it against the can.
- You can touch up the edges with sienna paint for a better finish.
Check out this article: Create Your Own Aromatic Garden
Using plastic bottles
Plastic bottles are another material that can often be found at home that isn’t being used. To avoid hoarding them, it’s always better to find another use for them.
Remember that plastic is causing huge environmental problems since it’s not biodegradable. If you recycle your bottles, you’ll be helping out the environment. What’s more, you’ll have beautiful pots you made yourself.
More importantly, they’ll have a personal touch that’s unique and unparalleled. Below are three ideas you can use to let your imagination run free:
What you’ll need
- Box cutter or scissors
- Black marker
- Acrylic paint
- Plastic bottle of various sizes
Plant pot with bottom of a bottle
- Take the bottle and, on the upper part, draw two elongated triangles like rabbit ears that are standing up.
- Cut the plastic so that the two ears stick out beyond the edge.
- Make holes in the base of the bottle.
- Paint the inside and outside with white acrylic paint.
- Let dry.
- With a marker, draw on eyes, a nose, and a mouth.
- Add details with the pink acrylic paint.
- You can also make a cat, dog, or mouse—whatever your imagination can think of.
- The lower part of the bottles resembles legs to which you can also add details.
- This is a great project for kids!
- Leave the bottle caps on and make holes in them to let the water drain out.
- Paint with bold colors and let dry.
- Add details with paint or markers.
- You can turn handles on containers into a nose.
- Paint two large eyes on each side.
- Cover the whole bottle with drawings.
- You can nail it to the wall and make a vertical garden.
Using the whole bottle
- Take the bottle with its cap on and lay it down.
- Using a box cutter, make a hole in the part that’s facing up to put the soil and plants inside of the bottle.
- Make holes in the part that’s touching the floor.
- You’re set! You can hang it or leave it on the floor.
Making your own plant pots using recycled materials will bring you many benefits, including:
- Reusing products that would otherwise further contaminate the environment,
- Waking up your creative side,
- Decorating your home,
- Connecting yourself to nature,
- Lowering your stress levels with creativity, fun and beauty!