5 Beautiful Ideas for Creating a Mini Garden in Your Home
Having a garden helps you forget about your stress and enjoy some moments of peace and quiet. Also, it's a good way to improve the air quality in your home.
Plants are very useful for our survival on planet earth. To put it simply, without them, life would be impossible. After all, a very close relationship exists between humans and the vegetable kingdom.
Some people have homes with small, interior gardens, or a terrace, and spacious patio or yard. Others have homes without yards or a small apartment with a little window space.
Not having enough space in your home to create and work on a garden is common. However, this doesn’t have to be an excuse. Thanks to mini gardens, you too can have your own garden.
It’s been shown that gardening, in addition to adding beauty to our spaces, can also contribute to our mental well-being.
Also, by doing this activity, we learn to take care of, give importance to, and show love for plants.
Miniature gardening is a great hobby that is becoming more and more popular among plant lovers.
This activity is very stimulating because you can let your imagination and creativity run wild. An additional, very important benefit is that it also helps to purify the air in your home.
You can bring many different ideas to the practice in order to add your personal touch. That’s exactly what making your own garden is all about: choosing the plants that are most suitable for your space and the ones that you like the most.
Next, we’ll give you some advice and some steps that you will need to keep in mind in order to successfully create a great mini garden for your home.
A great mini garden
- The first thing that you should keep in mind is the container: a transparent glass container will let in an abundant amount of light, for example.
Also, you should make sure that the container is deep enough so that the roots can grow and, at the same time, is able to keep the humidity in.
- For plants that do not need excess humidity, the best option would be an open container. A fishbowl or a vase that is cylindrical or cup-shaped will work.
To make your mini garden you will need the following materials:
- Gravel or small rocks
- Charcoal or activated charcoal
- Dirt or mulch
- Moss or decorative stones (optional)
Plants that you should consider
The plants species that are most appropriate for a mini garden are any that are small, prefer shade, can tolerate high temperatures, and can endure high humidity levels.
- For a closed-off mini garden you can plant orchids, ferns, bromeliads, or begonias.
- In an open mini garden, you cant plant succulents, cacti, or small fruit trees.
Steps for creating a mini garden in your home
- Fill the pot with 2-3 centimeters of gravel. This prevents stagnant water from coming into contact with the roots. You can add a layer of moss to the bottom since it acts as a sponge and will make sure the dirt doesn’t filter into the gravel because it will absorb the water.
- Mix the dirt or fertilizer with the charcoal. This organic material will facilitate drainage and will help the growth of the roots. Make a layer of this mixture so that it occupies a quarter or a third of the flower pot.
- Take the plants that you have chosen out of their containers and put them in. Ensure there is enough space between them for the roots. You should leave about 10 cm between each plant.
- Once you have placed the plants, cover the surface with moss or, if you prefer, with decorative rocks: these will also prevent the growth of weeds.
- Lastly, water the plants until you can see that the gravel on the bottom is wet. The frequency that you need to water your plants depends on the species, but you should make sure that the dirt is always damp. Try to only water the plants during hours without sunlight (early in the morning and at night).
- Once you’ve finished, place your mini garden in a well-lit area where the sun’s rays will hit it directly.
- As the plants grow, you have to trim the branches to ensure that they keep their design and shape. Remember to always remove dead or yellow leaves.
A mini garden inside your home
To make a beautiful indoor mini garden, you can use jars or glass vases that are a bit resistant and put your plants inside them. You can also place small rocks and dirt inside.
- Remember that you should choose small plants that grow in the shade.
- You can put your plant holder on top of a table, on a window sill, or on the floor.
Mini garden on the balcony
If you find yourself with a balcony in your house, you can make this space into a mini garden. So that your balcony garden looks beautiful from both inside and outside, you should give preference to climbing plants.
- In the summer, these plants create an incredible sensation of an authentic tropical forest, not just for you, but for everyone that sees your balcony from the outside.
Interior or skylight garden
If you have a house with an interior garden or with a skylight, you have the opportunity to have a great atmosphere in your home.
Build a mini garden using this space. Don’t fill it with big plants with pots that don’t fit. The most preferable thing to do is use small plants so that the light can still come in.
Miniature herbal garden
You can optimize all of those small spaces by having a small grove.
- We recommend that you grow aromatic herbs so that you can utilize them in teas as well as other plants that are useful in the kitchen.
- You can put them in food cans or oil.
- You can also hang them up, fix them to the walls, or simply put them on the floor.
The beauty of this idea is that you will have fresh ingredients to use in the kitchen while simultaneously adding a beautiful and useful decoration to a space within your home.