How to Make an Eco-Friendly Air Freshener from Gelatin
How your home smells is one of the things you’re probably concerned about when it’s time to clean. Want to know how to make an air freshener? Keep reading!
Everyone likes a lovely fragrance around their house, from the bedrooms to living room areas.
The problem with chemical air fresheners you get at the store is that they’re not very good for your health or for the environment.
While they may be cheap and come in all kinds of scents, it has been proven that their daily use can be quite harmful.
Luckily, there are some natural alternatives that will help you to deodorize your home without causing undesirable side effects, and at a very accessible cost to boot.
Here, we’d like to share a simple formula based on gelatin and essential oils that will give your house a natural toxin-free fragrance.
Environmentally-friendly, gelatin-based air freshener
The environmentally-friendly air freshener we’ll tell you about next is a product made with natural ingredients that, unlike its chemical counterparts, lets off a natural scent without causing respiratory problems.
It’s made with a combination of flavorless gelatin and essential oils, resulting in an air freshener in gel form with characteristics similar to those you find at the store.
The fragrance can be personalized to your tastes since it comes from the essential oils you choose.
In addition, you can also add dried flowers, shells, or other decorative elements that will add a special touch.
Here we suggest a fresh citrus pine scent, achieved through a lovely combination of pine, lemon, and orange.
You can store it in small containers and place them strategically around your home in closed areas like closets and bathrooms.
- 1 packet of flavorless gelatin
- 2 cups of cold water (500 ml)
- 1 tablespoon of salt (10 g)
- 25 drops of pine essential oil
- 3 drops of lemon essential oil
- 2 drops of sweet orange essential oil
- 1 drop of bergamot essential oil
- 10 drops of food coloring
- 1 tablespoon of vodka (10 ml) (optional)
- Decorative jars
How do I make it?
- First, pour one cup of the water into a pot and put on high heat.
- Once it reaches a full boil, add the flavorless gelatin and beat with a wooden spoon until fully dissolved.
- Add the tablespoon of salt and the second cup of water.
- Then, mix in the essential oils and food coloring.
- Before it solidifies, pour into small molds or decorative jars.
- Though it’s not necessary, you can add a little vodka to prolong its life.
- Let the jars or molds sit without covering for a few hours until completely cooled.
- When it gets to the consistency and scent you like, place around your house as desired.
Read also: The Benefits of Nettle for Your Hair
Keep in mind…
The wonderful fragrance of this eco-friendly air freshener is perfect for neutralizing unpleasant odors that tend to concentrate in certain parts of your home.
Place them by your garbage cans, any damp areas, or the entrances to your bedrooms.
Remember that while its scent won’t be as strong as commercial air fresheners, it’s healthier for both the environment as well as your family.
If you like, you can try combinations like:
Sweet basil and lemon
- 20 drops of sweet basil essential oil
- 8 drops of lemon essential oil
Orange and rosemary
- 25 drops of sweet orange essential oil
- 5 drops of rosemary essential oil
- 30 drops of lavender essential oil
Lavender, thyme, and lemon
- 20 drops of lavender essential oil
- 5 drops of thyme essential oil
- 2 drops of lemon essential oil
Try these in your home and you’ll see how they’re a remarkable way to enjoy a great scent without exposing yourself to the harmful effects of chemical products.
And if you want to get creative, you can even decorate the little jars to go nicely with your interior decoration.
Get to work!