3 Magnesium-Rich Smoothies for Your Health
Magnesium-rich smoothies are a great way of overcoming or preventing deficiencies of this mineral, which contributes to the health of all organs and systems of the body. So, here’s a simple plan: How about preparing some of these smoothies throughout the week? You have 3 to choose from and they’re all delicious.
Magnesium is part of the structure of bones, muscles, blood and a large part of the body’s tissues. Its main function is to generate energy and synthesize numerous proteins and fats, so a correct intake of this mineral translates into health and well-being.
There’s no need to resort to supplements (unless your doctor tells you to). In fact, maintaining a proper diet and prioritizing certain recipes (such as magnesium-rich smoothies) over any beverage or industrial product is enough.
Magnesium-rich smoothies that you should add to your diet
In general, all green leafy vegetables, as well as flax seeds or algae, contain magnesium and chlorophyll, so, as mentioned above, these shakes could be beneficial to avoid deficiency of the mineral.
It should be noted that, although it is a good idea to include these natural drinks in our daily life instead of many industrial beverages, what’s essential is to always have a balanced diet that provides all the necessary nutrients to the body so that it can perform all its functions properly.
1. Banana, chocolate and maple syrup smoothie
This is undoubtedly an energizing smoothie you can enjoy once a week. Although its flavor is sweet, it doesn’t contain many calories. As for magnesium, according to information from Self Nutrition Data, 1 ounce of dark chocolate contains 64 milligrams of this mineral. This represents 16% of the daily recommendation. Bananas contain 37 milligrams and maple syrup 21 milligrams.
- 1 banana.
- 1 tablespoon of dark cocoa powder (10 g).
- A tablespoon of maple syrup (20 g).
- 1 cup of almond milk (200 ml).
- It’s very easy to make. Firstly, just peel the banana, cut it in three, and then add it to the blender along with the cup of almond milk (also rich in magnesium), the maple syrup and the cocoa powder.
- After that, blend for a few seconds and serve.
2. Spinach, avocado and strawberry smoothie
This smoothie is a good option to start the day in the best way, as its ingredients provide energy, antioxidants and fiber. Avocado, moreover, can provide 15% of the recommended daily intake of magnesium. However, if spinach and strawberries are also included, this drink won’t only taste delicious, but will also provide a good amount of the mineral.
- 1/2 avocado.
- 8 strawberries.
- 1 cup of spinach (30 g).
- A cup of water (200 ml).
- And, finally, a tablespoon of honey (25 g).
- Firstly, wash all the ingredients, especially the spinach, which can easily absorb pesticides.
- Once everything is clean, add the spinach leaves to the blender along with the strawberries and half an avocado. After that, add the water and honey, and blend well.
- Drink this every morning as part of your breakfast, or as a supplement to fill you up with energy before training.
Also check: How to Make Almond Milk to Lose Weight
3. Fig and almond milk smoothie
Figs, in addition to being an excellent source of calcium, have a high content of magnesium.
- 5 ripe figs.
- 1/2 teaspoon of sesame seeds (2 g).
- A cup of almond milk (200 ml).
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon (2 g).
- Firstly, peel the figs, and then add them to the blender along with the cup of almond milk and the sesame seeds, and blend for a few seconds.
- Finally, serve in your favorite glass and sprinkle the cinnamon on top.
Try these magnesium-rich smoothies to give an extra supply of nutrients to your daily diet. Remember that they should complement meals, never substitute them. On the other hand, if you have any doubts about the ingredients or if you have magnesium deficiency, it’s best to consult your doctor to find a suitable treatment for you.