Low Calorie Keto Bechamel Sauce Recipe
Keto bechamel sauce is an excellent option for seasoning dishes when you want few calories and no carbohydrates. In this way, you can create a diet that stimulates fat oxidation and weight loss.
However, to achieve good results you will have to carry out other good habits, such as regular physical exercise.
How to prepare keto bechamel sauce?
There are different types of keto diet according to their degree of restriction. The strictest ones only allow the consumption of about 20 grams (nearly 1 oz) of sugars per day, while more flexible alternatives contemplate the intake of up to 50 grams (nearly 2 oz) of these nutrients in each day.
You shouldn’t always opt for the most restrictive option, as it may be the one that generates less adherence. In any case, we’re going to tell you how to prepare a keto bechamel sauce that’s low in calories and is sure to fit the diet you have chosen.
If you want to prepare an exquisite keto bechamel sauce for 6 people with few calories, you are going to need the following ingredients:
- 425 milliliters of cream or whipping cream.
- 200 grams of cream cheese
- Half a teaspoon of salt
- One-quarter teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- One-quarter teaspoon of nutmeg
- Add all the ingredients to a non-stick pan and bring to the boil, stirring constantly. This last step is important, otherwise it could burn and spoil the bechamel sauce.
- Once it starts to boil, reduce the heat and let it simmer for a few minutes to thicken.
- When the desired texture is achieved, add salt and spices to your taste, and that’s it!
How to include keto bechamel sauce in the diet?
There are many options to include keto bechamel sauce in the diet. For example, it can be combined with broccoli or other vegetables and then baked au gratin. This way, you’ll get a very appetizing end result. It also goes well with many meat and fish dishes, and even with potatoes.
However, even though it has fewer calories than the traditional recipe, it’ll still increase the overall calorie content of the dish. For this reason, it should be consumed in moderation. Otherwise, it could cause fat gain over time, which can have a negative impact on your health.
Benefits of keto bechamel sauce
Keto bechamel sauce can create several health benefits if included in the context of a balanced and varied diet. It’s important to ensure that there are no deficits of essential nutrients to ensure that the body functions efficiently, thus avoiding the development of chronic and complex pathologies.
First of all, it should be noted that bechamel sauce is a source of high biological value proteins. These nutrients have been shown to help prevent the onset of problems related to lean mass, such as sarcopenia. This causes a progressive reduction in muscle tissue and a reduction in strength values.
Bechamel also contains good-quality fatty acids. These are key in order to ensure the intake of cis-type lipids. These normally help modulate internal inflammatory processes.
What you have to be careful with is trans fatty acids, which are present in ultra-processed products of industrial origin. According to a study published in BMJ, their regular intake increases the risk of death from any cause.
Finally, mention should be made of the antioxidant effect of spices, both nutmeg and pepper. They contain a series of phytochemicals that neutralize the formation of free radicals and their subsequent accumulation in the body’s tissues.
This effect has been linked to a lower incidence of many health problems, as evidenced by research published in the European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry.
Prepare keto bechamel sauce at home
As you’ve seen, it’s easy to prepare an exquisite keto bechamel sauce at home with few ingredients and in a short time. The result is excellent both organoleptically and nutritionally, so it can be included with some frequency in the context of a balanced and varied diet. It’s a much better option than pre-prepared options in the supermarkets, as these contain artificial additives.
Finally, it’s important to note that to maintain a good state of health it isn’t only enough to look after your diet. It’s necessary to promote a number of good habits as a whole. For example, physical exercise on a regular basis, focusing on strength work. Similarly, it’s important to ensure regular exposure to sunlight and sufficient sleep every night.It might interest you...
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Naseeb MA, Volpe SL. Protein and exercise in the prevention of sarcopenia and aging. Nutr Res. 2017 Apr;40:1-20. doi: 10.1016/j.nutres.2017.01.001. Epub 2017 Jan 16. PMID: 28473056.
- de Souza RJ, Mente A, Maroleanu A, Cozma AI, Ha V, Kishibe T, Uleryk E, Budylowski P, Schünemann H, Beyene J, Anand SS. Intake of saturated and trans unsaturated fatty acids and risk of all cause mortality, cardiovascular disease, and type 2 diabetes: systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies. BMJ. 2015 Aug 11;351:h3978. doi: 10.1136/bmj.h3978. PMID: 26268692; PMCID: PMC4532752.
- Neha K, Haider MR, Pathak A, Yar MS. Medicinal prospects of antioxidants: A review. Eur J Med Chem. 2019 Sep 15;178:687-704. doi: 10.1016/j.ejmech.2019.06.010. Epub 2019 Jun 13. PMID: 31228811.