Learn How to Make Greek Moussaka with This Easy Recipe
Want to taste the real Greek moussaka recipe? In this article, you'll discover how to make this traditional recipe step by step.
Greek moussaka is a delicious dish that’s very easy to make. Although you may confuse it with an ordinary lasagna, it actually requires different ingredients.
In this article, we’ll show you the steps you must follow to make a traditional Greek moussaka. The idea is for you to try the original version of this dish.
Greek Moussaka and Its Many Variations
Nowadays, we can enjoy it almost anywhere in the world. However, it’s very likely that you won’t find the original version.
All the variations have changed the recipe‘s taste. For this reason, today we want to show you the traditional Greek moussaka recipe so you can taste it in its “original” form.
Although this recipe may seem somewhat tedious and difficult to make, it’s actually quite easy. We’re going to explain everything to you step by step.
Read more here: Three Recipes for Vegetarian Nuggets
Steps to Make Traditional Greek Moussaka
- 2 medium onions or 1 large one
- 6 medium-sized eggplants
- Minced lamb meat (400 grams)
- Grated cheese (150 grams)
- 2 large eggs
- Ground cinnamon
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
1. The eggplant
- Wash, peel, and cut the eggplants into long strips.
- After this step, put them in a pot with water. Let them cook for two minutes.
- Remove the eggplants from heat and drain them.
- Then, season them with salt.
- Add plenty of extra virgin olive oil to a frying pan.
- Then, stir fry the seasoned eggplants.
- When they’re ready, take them out of the frying pan and put them on a plate covered with a paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
2. The meat
- Now, finely chop the onion.
- Then, put the chopped onion in a frying pan with extra virgin olive oil.
- Before the onion turns translucent, add the minced lamb meat.
- Wait for everything to cook well.
- Then, add a tablespoon of cinnamon and nutmeg.
- When the meat is ready, add the grated cheese.
- Make sure the ingredients incorporate well.
Discover: 5 Eggplant Remedies for Your Health
3. Assemble the moussaka
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Put all the ingredients on a plate.
- Place the eggplant strips on the bottom of a baking tray.
- Then, add the meat.
- Add another layer of eggplant and repeat until you run out of ingredients.
- Finally, beat the eggs and pour over the preparation along with the grated cheese.
- After that, bake the moussaka for 30 minutes.
An Original and Simple Recipe
As you’ve probably realized, this Greek moussaka recipe isn’t as complicated as you may have thought at the beginning. It also contains very healthy ingredients that you should definitely include in your diet.
You should accompany this recipe with a salad. You can make one with spinach, arugula, tomato, and asparagus. Salads are great side dishes.
We hope you give this original Greek moussaka recipe a try because it’ll make your mouth water. Although you can use another kind of meat or make it without onions if you don’t like them, the fact is that you’ll stray from the original.
Dare to try different dishes than the ones you’re used to with unique flavors that’ll delight your palate! Also, if you’ve never tried eggplant, this can be a very good opportunity to do so. This recipe won’t disappoint!