Lasagna without Pasta
It may seem unreal to think about a lasagna casserole without pasta, although believe it or not, it’s possible. We’ll make a believer out of you as you continue reading the instructions for this fabulous recipe.
The recipe for lasagna without pasta was created, in principle, for those who can’t assimilate a substance present in most grain flours: gluten. This peculiar element is harmful to some people who can’t digest it and, given that necessity is the mother of invention (or so they say), it’s from such need that this wonderful alternative to classical lasagna arose.
All things considered, the interesting part about this recipe is how you’ll trade the flat pasta sheets for thin slices of zucchini or eggplant or any other kind of summer squash … As you can see, there’s no limit to what you can do. Get creative!
We’ll now tell you the steps you need to follow in order to make this delicious lasagna without pasta. Not only is the flavor excellent, but the ingredients are rich in nutrients and the final dish is entirely gluten-free. You’ll definitely enjoy it, even if you’re not gluten sensitive.
How to Make Lasagna without Pasta
Why Use Summer Squash instead of Pasta?
Well, to adequately answer this question you must know that there’s a wide range of vegetables that’d be ideal substitutes for pasta – in terms of carbohydrates without gluten, that is. However, summer squash is perhaps the option that’ll interact best with the rest of the ingredients of a typical lasagna, and so the flavor won’t change too much.
Thanks to the prevalence of processed products in our diets, which contain enormous amounts of salt and sugar, our tasting buds have changed and many of us are reluctant to eat certain natural foods and spices. Vegetables are among the most avoided natural products by most – unless they come in the form of beet sugar and fried potatoes, that is.
You’re probably thinking how absurd it is to reinvent something as yummy as classic lasagna. However, try not to limit yourself to your old comfort food. Moreover, your buds are designed to explore a multitude of flavors, old and new. Not only that, but the more you try new things, the sooner you’ll become a connoisseur who can design new meals all by yourself!
Lasagna without Pasta
- 3 large summer squashes, cut in 1/2″ slices
- 2 ½ c. of ground beef
- 2 medium onions, cubed
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 red pepper, cut into thin slices
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 can of tomato paste
- 1 tbsp ground basil
- 2 c. grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 pinch of dry thyme
- 1 tbsp of dried oregano
- 2 c. of Parmesan cheese
- 1 pinch of ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
Read this article: Types of Cheese and Their Nutritional Value
- First, preheat the oven to 400 ºF.
- Second, heat the olive oil in a pan and add the ground beef and cook it on medium heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Next, add the pepper, the garlic powder, and the cubed onions and let it all simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Then, incorporate the tomato paste, basil, thyme, oregano, salt, and pepper to the pan. Mix it all well and reduce the flame low setting. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour a third of the meat sauce in a baking dish.
- After, top it with a layer of summer squash slices followed by a layer of cheese.
- Repeat the procedure and layer the ingredients until you either fill the dish or run out of ingredients (save some cheese for the top layer).
- Place it in the oven for about 30 minutes or until the cheese is melted and acquires a golden color.
- Finally, remove it from the oven and let it cool down a little before you serve it.