How to Make Use of Leftover Mashed Potatoes
There are a number of recipes for using leftover mashed potatoes that are good to know about, and they’ll help to avoid wasting food. They’re quick and healthy alternatives that everyone will love, and they’ll provide great nutritional intake too. We’re going to show you how to make the most of them, but remember: the best mashed potatoes are always homemade!
Before starting, it’s important to mention that a healthy diet must be varied and balanced. It’s important to avoid a lack of essential nutrients, otherwise it could jeopardize the efficient functioning of human physiology.
Here are some recipes for making the most of leftover mashed potatoes. So, grab a pen and paper, or your cellphone, and make a note of these great recipes!
1. Mashed potato dumplings
With this recipe, you’ll get a significant amount of fiber. This substance has proven to be key in maintaining good intestinal functioning. Not only does it reduce the incidence of constipation, but it can also maintain the bacterial density of the microbiota, optimizing the digestive processes.
The necessary ingredients are as follows:
- Half a kilo of boiled potatoes
- 1 large beaten egg
- Half a teaspoon of salt
- 2 cups of -purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 3 tablespoons of fresh white bread crumbs
Step by step
- Place the mashed potatoes in a bowl.
- Stir in the egg, salt and flour to form a soft dough. It isn’t necessary to knead it too much, as it will become too hard.
- Bring a large saucepan with water and salt to boil.
- At the same time, form a cylinder with the dough and cut it into small pieces.
- Cook each piece in the pot for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Once the dumplings are ready, place them in a colander.
- Prepare a sauce with butter and breadcrumbs. When the bread is golden brown, the sauce is ready.
- Serve the potato dumplings with the sauce.
Check out another great recipe here: Delicious Baked Sea Bass with Potatoes and Onion
2. Baked mashed potatoes with cheese
This recipe can provide a lot of high biological value proteins. These are necessary in order to avoid problems related to lean mass, as evidenced by research published in the journal Nutrition Research .
They not only prevent tissue catabolism, but also improve recovery after physical exertion to prevent loss of strength.
You’ll need the following ingredients for this recipe:
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 cup of sliced celery
- 1 cup of chopped onion
- 3 cups of diced ham
- 1 cup milk, divided
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups of mashed potatoes
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup of chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Butter a baking dish
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius (340 F)
- Melt the rest of the butter in a frying pan over a medium heat and add the celery and onion. It’s important to stir frequently until the vegetables are tender.
- Then add the ham and continue cooking until browned.
- Add 1/2 cup of milk, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Slightly heat the mashed potatoes before mixing.
- At this point, add the mashed potatoes, eggs and the remaining 1/2 cup of milk to the pan along with the green onions and parsley, but off the heat.
- When the ingredients have been mixed together, place the mixture in a baking dish.
- Top with the grated cheese, sprinkle with a little pepper and bake for 40 minutes until golden brown.
You may also be interested in: 4 Mashed Potatoes and Steamed Vegetables Recipes
3. Vegan mashed potato burgers
Finally, we’re going to bring you a recipe that stands out for concentrating high quality phytochemicals, this time from chard. These substances neutralize the formation of free radicals and their subsequent accumulation in the body’s tissues.
The above effect is related to a lower risk of developing chronic and complex pathologies, according to a study published in the European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry.
The products needed for this recipe are:
- 2 cups of mashed potatoes
- 3-4 chard leaves
- 2 cups of water
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- A pinch of soy beverage
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
Step by step
- First, cook the chard in a saucepan or in the microwave.
- Drain them well and mix them in a bowl with the mashed potatoes.
- At this point, add the garlic powder, salt, pepper and 3 tablespoons of flour.
- Work the mixture adding a little vegetable drink, if necessary.
- Combine the flour with the Italian seasonings and heat the oil in a frying pan.
- Divide the dough into balls and form patties with your hands.
- Coat them with the flour and spices on both sides and fry for 3 minutes on each side.
Prepare recipes with leftover mashed potatoes
As you have seen, it’s easy to use mashed potatoes to make other types of recipes. In this way, you’ll avoid wasting an ingredient that can be very useful as well as nutritious. It contains quality carbohydrates and a good percentage of fiber too.It might interest you...