In this article, you can learn the steps to make a delicious Genoise cake. You’ll see that it’s really easy to make. Go ahead and give it a try!
Are you hosting a party and have no clue what to make for your guests? Don’t worry, this article has a simple Genoise cake recipe. It’s so delicious and really easy to make. Your entire family and friends will enjoy it.
The best part of all, is that this Genoise cake doesn’t have a lot of calories and has an acceptable amount of proteins that mostly come from the eggs used in its preparation.
The following are the nutritional facts of this exquisite dessert:
- 27% fat.
- 8% protein
- 65% carbohydrates
Genoise Cake Ingredients
To make this dessert, the first thing you should do is clear your work area and organize your ingredients, since you’ll need to separate them according to the cake’s different components.
- 7 fresh eggs.
- 7 tablespoons of sugar.
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla.
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder.
- 7 tablespoons of sifted flour.
- 1 large can of cream.
- 1 large can of evaporated milk.
- 1 large can of condensed milk.
- Optional: 1 tablespoon of unflavored gelatin.
Read this article too: Bake a Delicious Chocolate Orange Cake
Genoise cake can be served with or without icing. In fact, you’ve probably seen that the icing is included in some recipe books and not in others. Keep in mind that, although the icing makes the cake taste even more delicious, it also increases the caloric value.
However, the calorie consumption isn’t very significant compared to the cake’s total calorie content. If you want to add icing, you will need the following ingredients:
- 3 egg whites.
- Sugar (to taste).
How to Make Genoise Cake
The Genoise Cake
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks. Put the yolks in a separate container because you’ll need them later on.
- Beat the egg whites until they peak. If you prefer, use a spatula to beat the egg whites instead of using a beater. In most cases, the beater makes the mixture lose porosity, but the difference isn’t significant. If you want, you can try both methods and then tell us if you noticed any difference.
- While beating, add the first egg yolk and then a tablespoon of sugar and continue beating until completely dissolved.
- Add another egg yolk and tablespoon of sugar until you finish adding all the egg yolks and sugar.
- Add the 7 tablespoons of flour, one by one.
- Make sure the tablespoon of flour you added is well dissolved before adding the next one.
- Use a spatula to take off the mix from the edges and also continue beating the mix so the eggs don’t lose their volume.
- Grease and flour a circular cake pan. If possible, use a cake pan with a removable bottom.
- Pour the mix into the cake pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Then, insert a knife into the cake. If it comes out clean, your cake is done.
The Cake Syrup
You can make the syrup while your cake is in the oven. This part is easy. Here are the steps to follow:
- Pour the condensed milk, evaporated milk, and cream in a blender.
- Blend until you get a homogeneous mixture.
- While the cake is still hot, pour about three-quarters of the syrup over it (save the other quarter to pour over the slices when serving).
- Prick the cake in four places so it thoroughly absorbs the syrup.
- Let it cool and then refrigerate for 2 hours before serving, unless you decided to add the icing.
- If you saved the last quarter of the soaking syrup, instead of pouring it over each piece, you can add a tablespoon of unflavored gelatin and pour it over the entire cake before putting into the refrigerator.
Check out this article too: Microwave Cakes: Fast and Simple Desserts
The Icing For The Cake
If you thought that making the syrup was easy, making the icing will be like a walk in the park. If you’re going to decorate your cake with icing, take it out of the pan and place it on a large plate.
- Add the three egg whites to a bowl and beat until they peak.
- Gradually add the sugar and keep on beating until you get the right consistency.
- Garnish the cake with the icing.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours.
Now enjoy this delicious and easy to make dessert. Bon appetit!