How to Cook Delicious Ajiaco Soup
In this article, you will find out how to make traditional ajiaco soup. After learning the original recipe, maybe you can explore your curiosity and try other versions of this delicious soup.
Ajiaco is a dish that is eaten in Southern American countries, specifically in Colombia, Peru, and Chile.
It basically consists of a broth or soup with chicken and a bunch of different vegetables . This dish is really appealing because it’s served in traditional clay bowls. Additionally, ajiaco soup is really easy to make in any kitchen. Not to mention that it’s a great source of proteins and calories due to all the nutrients in its ingredients.
Plus, the ingredients in this recipe have a lot of vitamins and minerals that give your body a lot of energy. This soup is really satiating and is also perfect for fighting fatigue and anemia. Here are a few of the ingredients used to make this soup: green seasonings, carrots, onions, zucchini, peppers, potatoes, yucca, corn cob, and cream (for some types).
As you can see, they all provide a lot of nutrients for an average 500 mL bowl. This is one of the reasons why you should definitely give this soup a try. Go ahead and let us walk you though in cooking this recipe!
Here’s how to make traditional ajiaco.
- 2 red potatoes (100 g).
- 1 cup of guascas (15 g).
- 2 tablespoons of salt (30 g).
- 4 small onions (200 g).
- 2 peeled garlic cloves (5 g).
- 12 large cups of water (1 liter).
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes (10 g).
- 3 skinless chicken breasts (400 g).
- 1 tablespoon of white pepper (15 g).
- 2 cups of green capers (200 g).
- 3 yellow corn cobs (200 g).
- 1 cup of cream (100 ml).
- 3 medium peeled white potatoes (175 g).
- 4 Creole potatoes from Colombia (225 g).
Want to know more? Read: Learn How to Make a Broth that Fights Inflammation and Cancer
- The first thing you have to do is season and cook the chicken on its own.
- You don’t have to add a lot of spices or additives to the chicken, just some salt and garlic powder. Cook for 20 minutes over low heat.
- Now, place the prepared chicken in a pot, along with the corn cobs, onions, peppers, cilantro, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the 12 cups of water and add all the previously chopped ingredients to this broth.
- Keep in mind that the cooking time should be 35 to 45 minutes. It takes a while for the water to boil and everything to mix together perfectly. So, be patient!
- Now take the chicken out of the pot.
- Then, add more corn and cook for 30 minutes over medium heat.
- Before the corn is ready (about 10 minutes after putting everything to cook), add the 3 types of potatoes (red, white, and Creole) and let them cook for 30 minutes.
- You’re almost done! Remember the chicken you had taken out? Well, at this point it should be cold enough to be shredded and marinated with some onion, peppers, and cilantro.
- Then add the chicken to the remaining ingredients and cook everything for 15 minutes.
- After this step, you’re ready to serve your ajiaco soup and immerse yourself into Colombia’s culinary world! Bon appetit!