How can I use canary seed for weight loss?
Increasing numbers of people are starting to use canary seed to help them lose weight. While it’s been thought of as merely bird seed for a long time, it’s getting popular now for human consumption.
These little seeds, which come from the Phalaris canariensis plant, contain remarkable amounts of enzymes and amino acids. These nutrients help multiple vital systems of your body to work properly.
In fact, they’re good at removing fat, lowering your cholesterol, and improving your metabolism, thus preventing metabolic disorders like diabetes.
Canary seed has been attributed with several properties in traditional medicine (such as lipid-lowering, demulcent and diuretic effects). However, experts point out that there is not enough scientific evidence for this.
People are starting to get interested, now realizing that canary seeds can help them lose weight while also nourishing their body. Are you interested too? Below you’ll find out how to prepare them and add them to your diet.
Benefits of canary seed for weight loss
There are a lot of reasons to consume canary seeds for weight loss. They’re easy to underestimate, but they’re actually a significant source of essential nutrients, including:
- Lipase and other digestive enzymes. Canary seeds help break down fat cells in your blood in order for your body to use them as energy. In other words, they help transport lipids to the cells to be used as energy.
- Vegetable protein: highly recommended for improving athletic performance and building muscle mass.
- Diuretic and detoxifying properties. Canary seeds help your body remove toxins and excess fluids from your body.
- Antioxidants. The seeds speed up your cellular metabolism and create a barrier to protect tissues from free radicals.
- Dietary fiber. Besides improving your digestion, they will also help you feel full longer and lower your cholesterol.
- Canary seeds can also help improve your circulation and minimize the appearance of cellulite and varicose veins.
Nutritional profile of canary seeds
The nutrients in canary seeds make them a perfect part of a balanced diet. They’re low in calories and provide even more potassium than bananas.
A half cup of canary seeds (112 g) contains:
- 831 mg of potassium
- 236 mg of calcium
- 431 mg of magnesium
- 112 mg of folic acid
In addition, 100 g of canary seeds provide:
- 8 g of carbohydrates
- 13 g of protein
- 2 g of fat
Canary seed milk recipe for weight loss
Canary seeds are very nutritious dry, but soaking them triggers certain chemical processes that increase their fiber, cellulose, and easily absorbable protein. So if you goal is to lose weight, canary seed milk is the best option. It’s low in calories and easy to add to your diet because the flavor is mild and pleasant.
- 6 tablespoons of canary seeds (90 g)
- 4 cups of water (1 liter)
- Add the seeds to a container with water and let soak overnight.
- The next day, strain and then put the soaked seeds into the blender with the 4 cups of water.
- Process for a few seconds until smooth.
- Filter with a fine mesh strainer.
How to drink canary seed milk
- Have a cup of canary seed milk first thing in the morning, without any other food.
- Store the remaining milk in a glass container in the refrigerator for a few days. Maximum 2 or 3.
What kind of canary seeds should I use?
It’s very important to differentiate canary seeds for human consumption from those meant for birds. While their nutritional properties are almost exactly the same, the variety meant for birds contains a substance called silica, which is harmful for humans.
Look for canary seeds labeled “No silica.” You can find them in natural food stores or online at relatively budget-friendly prices. Be careful though! Silica is very small and easy to miss, but also dangerous because it can harm the mucous membrane of your digestive system.
Are you ready to make canary seed milk and lose weight? If you haven’t made it a part of your diet yet, then try this recipe and see for yourself how healthy it really is.