Health Benefits of Drinking Pineapple Water
We’re all familiar with the impressive benefits of this delicious and healthy fruit. But have you heard of drinking pineapple water?
Pineapple water is rich in essential nutrients. If you don’t add sugar, it is a great way to stay hydrated, fight inflammation, and protect the liver, according to this study from the University of Indonesia.
It’s easy to prepare and so delicious! Once you try it, we promise you’ll be hooked. Keep reading to find out more…
Benefits of drinking pineapple water on an empty stomach
We make many recommendations about different ways to cleanse the body and strengthen your immune system. For example:
- Drinking a glass of warm water with lemon in the morning. Lemon is anti-inflammatory, according to this study from the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro.
- Taking a tablespoon of olive oil with a few drops of lemon juice. Olive oil has antimicrobial properties, according to a study from the Polytechnical Institute of Braganca (Portugal).
- Drinking a glass of water with a tablespoon of baking soda and a little lemon juice.
- Drinking a glass of water with honey on an empty stomach. Honey is hydrating and healing, according to a study from the Cira Garcia Central Clinic of Havana (Cuba).
Remember that these treatments will affect everyone differently. Not all bodies are the same, and we all have our likes and dislikes. Whichever one is easiest to work into your daily routine will be the most effective.
Drinking pineapple water is also a smart way to complement the two liters of water you should be drinking every day.
Also read: How to Detox with Pineapple
Pineapple water is light, unsweetened, and doesn’t have the acidity of regular pineapple. Consequently, it is delicious and easy on even the most delicate stomachs.
Let’s take a look at how pineapple water can benefit your body.
1. It reduces inflammation
- As you already know, pineapple contains bromelain, an enzyme that fights inflammation. Bromelain destroys the toxins that attack our tissues, according to this study from the Sri Ramachandra University (India) and cause pain, edema and fluid retention.
- Pineapple water is a great natural remedy if you suffer from arthritis.
- We recommend that you start your day with a glass of pineapple water on an empty stomach so the stomach can better absorb the nutrients, though this hasn’t been scientifically proven.
You might like: The Best Natural Remedies for Inflammation
2. It is a great weight loss supplement
Remember, pineapple water by itself will not make you shed pounds. You need to pair it with a balanced diet and exercise.
- Drinking pineapple water on a regular basis can help you feel more satisfied after eating.
- You won’t crave as many sweet.
- The thiamine in pineapple water will help increase your metabolism by converting carbohydrates into energy.
- Pineapple water is perfect for staying hydrated.
- Pineapple offers micronutrients that plain water doesn’t have. So, it’s not a bad idea to carry a little bottle of pineapple water around with you every day.
- Pineapple water is high in potassium which helps prevent muscle cramps and other problems associated with tiredness, according to this study from the Necker Hospital in Paris. It helps maintain a healthy electrolyte balance in your body.
- Remember that this is all based on drinking it on an empty stomach.
3. Drinking pineapple water is good for your intestines and liver
- As we mentioned before, the bromelain in pineapples acts as a catalyst in the liver, helping it to synthesize vitamins and proteins.
- Its beneficial enzymes and antioxidants will help you to cleanse your body of heavy metals.
- Eating natural pineapple is great for gut health and digestion.
- That being said, if you’re trying to prevent constipation, you should eat whole pineapple fruit.
4. Pineapple water is good for your thyroid gland
- Did you know that pineapple water contains iodine, an important nutrient for thyroid health? Not only that, but the bromelain could also protect you from some autoimmune diseases, which are related to the thyroid gland, according to a study from the Philippine Women’s University.
How do I make pineapple water?
- ½ pineapple
- 1-liter water
- This is the quickest and simplest way to make pineapple water. All you have to do is peel half a pineapple, cut it into smaller pieces, and add them to a pitcher of cold water.
- Let the pineapple soak overnight. The next day, remove the fruit (you can save it for later if you’d like). You can drink it throughout the day, but always remember to drink the first glass on an empty stomach.
- ½ a pineapple, with the rind intact
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 liter of water
- Cut the pineapple in half and remove the rind, but do not discard it.
- Cut the pineapple into chunks.
- Boil a liter of water and add the rind, pineapple, and cinnamon stick.
- Let it boil for at least 20 minutes.
- Let the mixture rest for 15 minutes, then strain the water into a pitcher.
- Put the pitcher in the fridge and drink well chilled. Cheers to your health!