Say goodbye to gas with these easy and effective exercises
Are you one of those people who suffer from gas on a constant basis. Do you feel that this affects you when you go to work or when you go to public places? If so, get rid of gas with some very simple exercises.
Here’s how to perform some positions to expel gas easily and effectively until you get relief. Performing them will take you less than 15 minutes. In addition, they can help you relax and reduce stress. In other words, by practicing them, you’ll obtain several benefits at the same time.
Let’s see more about these movements and take note of the number of repetitions. Ready? Join us!
Get rid of gas in no time
Research conducted in 2006 explains that flatulence is a common problem in some people. It’s unpleasant but, in general, it doesn’t significantly affect health. It’s also known as meteorism, which is the presence of excess gas in the intestine that causes intestinal spasms and abdominal distension.
The following exercises are ideal for those who feel uncomfortable due to the accumulation of gas and wish to obtain quick relief. All you need is a yoga mat.
It’s important to emphasize the importance of deep breathing throughout the execution of these exercises, as it will help you maximize the benefits you can obtain from the positions.
1. Child’s pose (Balasana)
This pose may be familiar because it’s often included in the stretching session before and after a workout at the gym.
In yoga, it’s known as Balasana or the child’s pose and is used to rest, calm the body, and soothe emotions and thoughts. In part, this is because the blood flow to the head is greater.
You should hold the position for a minimum period of 2 minutes. This way, the body’s allowed to relax in order to get rid of gas. In addition, you can do it upside down, i.e., face up while hugging your legs to your chest.
How to do it:
- This pose involves kneeling down and sitting with your buttocks on your legs.
- Then stretch your chest forward and with your arms stretched out in front of you.
- Then, perform 5 breathing cycles (inhale and exhale only through the nose).
- Repeat the process 2 or 3 times.
2. The wind-relieving pose (Pavanamuktasana) helps get rid of gas
In yoga, this position is known as Pavanamuktasana (wind release). You should hold the position for a period of 2 minutes.
How to perform it?
- First, the body should be positioned face up with the legs stretched out.
- Second, bend one of the legs and hug it against the chest.
- This is similar to the child’s prone position mentioned above. The more the knee of the bent leg is brought towards the chest, the better.
- When adopting this position, when you hug your leg, you should try to touch your nose with your knee. This way the exercise is deeper and more effective.
- Finally, perform 6 breathing cycles during the position (inhale and exhale only through the nose).
- Get rid of gas with this exercise! It’ll really help!
3. The plow pose (Halasana)
As well as the previous ones, the plow posture is very effective in helping you get rid of gass. Be sure to be very careful when executing this position, as it can cause neck injury if it’s performed abruptly. The important thing is to relax and breathe deeply through the nose.
How to perform it?
- First, you should lie down on your back. Raise your legs in the air and bring them towards your head until you touch the floor with your toes.
- Then, when the back and lumbar area are elevated, lean on your shoulders and your stretched out arms. In this way, the weight will fall on them, while your neck remains relaxed.
- Finally, keep your back as straight as possible. Hold for 2 minutes and breathe deeply.
It’s important to note that this exercise isn’t recommended for people suffering from neck pain.
Keep reading: 6 Simple Exercises for Alleviating Neck Pain
4. The camel pose (Ustrasana)
How to perform it?
The last exercise is the well-known yoga camel pose. This helps a lot to eliminate tedious gases, as well as decrease the tension in the body when suffering a lot of stress and anxiety.
- First, place your knees on the floor with your shins extended at the width of your hips.
- Then, lean your body backwards in an arc until your heels touch your hands.
- Then, once you grab your heels with your hands, relax your neck while you move your shoulders as far away from yours ears as possible.
- Finally, let the weight fall on the insteps. Breathe deeply and hold for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Eliminate gas with these postures and start taking better care of yourself!
Information about gas
It¿s important to note that the causes of gas are usually diverse, for example, sometimes it’s due to diet. According to this information from Mayo Clinic experts, changes in diet can be favorable in decreasing the amount of gas the body generates and help the gas move through the system faster.
However, in other circumstances, gas is due to intolerance to certain foods, then you suffer from constipation or irritable bowel syndrome. As this Medline Plus reference states, this is a complication that affects the large intestine. It can cause abdominal cramping, bloating, and changes in bowel habits.
Therefore, if you suffer from regular gas or other discomfort and don’t know the cause, it’s best to see a physician for proper diagnosis and treatment. Under no circumstances should you ignore or overlook discomfort.
Finally, it’s essential that you take care of yourself and maintain a diet of foods that don’t cause harm to your body. Eating a balanced diet and doing yoga or exercise are some tips that can help you lead a healthy lifestyle.
Information about gas
Although the causes of gas can be wide-ranging, diet’s a very common one. Eating a lot of processed foods, eating quickly, or eating foods that tend to produce gas (beans or broccoli) could be the cause.
However, other times, gas is due to a food intolerance, constipation, or irritable bowel syndrome. Although gas can be controlled, if you’re in pain and are uncomfortable, these exercises will be a big help.
It’s important to mention that a sedentary lifestyle can also cause gas. Doing these exercises isn’t just good for getting rid of gas, but also for getting your body moving. We know that gas can sometimes be painful. So which exercise are you going to try first?