Discover How to Make a Fun Spun Egg Recipe
If you're looking for a fun way to get out of your normal culinary routine, this spun egg recipe is perfect for you. Learn how to make this interesting recipe.
Eggs are one of the most commonly used ingredients in the world of gastronomy, especially when it comes to baking. You can find them in all different forms: cooked, scrambled, poached and even fried. But have you ever heard of a spun egg recipe?
This spun egg recipe is a decorative preparation that looks like fine, yellow threads (since only the eggs yolks and sugar are used). This recipe is originally from Portugal and is generally made for dishes and trays that include meat, canapés, sausages and fish.
The contrast between the sweetness of the spun eggs and the salty taste of the dishes is what makes it so popular. Who would have thought you could spin thread from eggs?
The Health Benefits of Eggs
Eggs are highly recommended by health and nutrition experts because of their high content of essential proteins and nutrients. In addition, they’re rich in:
- Vitamins A, B2, B5, B12, D and E
- Healthy fats
- Minerals such as selenium, zinc, phosphorus, calcium and iron
- Calories (healthy)
Eggs also have a high choline content, which is a very important nutrient that helps improve brain functions. Additionally, it helps prevent cardiovascular diseases, helps you lose weight, controls LDL levels in the blood (if you eat them in moderation), improves vision and reduces triglycerides.
Therefore, eggs are the perfect food to make, no matter how you prepare it. For these – and many other – reasons, you should learn how to make this fun egg recipe, so you can add a touch of creativity to your meals.
Read this article: Discover How Many Calories You Should Eat Per Day
Spun Egg Recipe
Even though this recipe is made with eggs, you have to keep in mind that it also contains a lot of sugar. However, you can make it a little lighter by using natural sweeteners instead.
The trick to this preparation is in the syrup, which you should make with sugar and a little water. You’ll also need a strainer or a syringe that will make the spaghetti-looking threads.
- 1 cup of sugar (200 g)
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup of water (250 ml)
- 1 syringe or colander
- 1/2 cup of very cold water (125 ml)
- Paper towel
This dish is served as an appetizer and can be made at any time of the year. Let’s see how to make this spun egg recipe step-by-step.
- First, take the eggs and separate the yolk from the egg whites.
- Then, put the water and sugar in a pot and put it on the stove to boil. Stir it a little until it forms a very thick consistency. It should look like syrup. Be careful with this step. If you let the syrup cook too long, it will start to burn. Let it simmer, if possible.
- Take the egg yolks and put them in the syringe. Squeeze out strands of the egg yolks into the syrup mixture.
- You should do the previous step in batches so the threads won’t stick.
- Then, wait for them to harden. After that, use a spatula to remove them from the pot and pour the threads into a bowl of very cold water.
- This will make them easier to cut and will keep the threads loose.
- Next, cook the rest of the spun eggs and repeat the same process.
- Finally, use some paper towels to drain any excess water and syrup from the threads.
- Put over some fish, meat or cream cheese and you’re ready to serve it. You can also serve it alone.
- Enjoy this delicious homemade spun egg recipe!