Remedies to Treat Urinary Tract Infections Naturally
There are millions of bacteria in your urinary tract that cause painful infections when they spread. This, in turn, affects the quality of life of many individuals. Urinary tract infections (UTIs) can occur because of a weakened immune system, but also because of bad hygiene habits, sexual intercourse, and kidney problems.
Although men also suffer from this condition, women are the most susceptible to developing it because their urethra is shorter. This is why it makes it easier for germs to spread.
While a burning sensation and pain is the most common symptom, the following symptoms may also occur:
- Changes in urine color
- General discomfort
In this article we’ll show you some remedies that, according to popular belief, can help treat urinary tract infections naturally.
1. Treat urinary tract infection naturally with pineapple tea
The diuretic properties of pineapple tea are a great help for cleansing the urinary tract in the presence of infectious agents.
Its active agent, bromelain, has an antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effect that contributes to controlling the symptoms of infections.
- 2 slices of pineapple
- 2 cups of water
- Firstly, cut the pineapple slices into several pieces and then put them in a pot with two cups of water.
- Then bring to boil for 8 to 10 minutes, put on low heat, and remove.
- Wait until it’s cool enough to drink, then pass it through a strainer and take it twice a day.
2. Celery tea
Celery tea is a drink with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compounds that, when absorbed, control the discomfort caused by urinary tract infections.
Its active substances exert a diuretic effect that, in addition to alleviating inflammation, helps to purify the kidneys and bladder.
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 cup of water
- Firstly, heat a cup of water.
- When it boils, add the celery stalk, which you should have previously washed and cut.
- Wait for the tea to cool down for 10 minutes, then strain it and drink it.
- Drink up to 3 cups a day.
3. Turmeric Tea
Turmeric contains a powerful pigment called curcumin. This, in addition to its characteristic color, gives it anti-inflammatory and antibiotic effects.
These qualities make it good to use to treat urinary tract infections naturally and reduce inflammation.
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 cup of water
- Firstly, add the teaspoon of turmeric powder to the cup of boiling water and let the mixture sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
- After this, sweeten it with honey and drink it.
- Consume 2 cups daily to relieve the symptoms of this infection.
4. Garlic with honey
Although it’s been stated on several occasions that garlic, onion, honey, and propolis are foods that act as “natural antibiotics“, it’s been proven that this is nothing more than a myth.
Honey is indeed a food that has several therapeutic purposes, but that doesn’t mean that it is effective as a treatment for urinary tract infections or other health problems.
Therefore, taking these foods doesn’t help fight or control UTIs. However, including them in a balanced diet could contribute to the nutrition of the body and, therefore, its improvement.
There are those who include a touch of honey in their morning coffee, others take a clove of garlic on an empty stomach and there are those who prefer to elaborate the following home remedy:
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- Firstly, crush the garlic clove in a mortar and mix it with the two tablespoons of honey.
- After obtaining a paste, consume it on an empty stomach.
- If you like, you can mix the paste with half a cup of warm water to make it easier to consume.
5. Onion juice
Finally, you can treat urinary tract infections naturally with onion. The sulfur compounds in natural onion juice are powerful antibacterial agents that can help clean urinary ducts. This, in turn, can control infections.
In addition, its anti-inflammatory and diuretic properties calm the painful and burning sensation that UTIs can cause. They also facilitate the elimination of the fluid retained in tissues.
- 1 onion
- ¼ cup of water
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- Firstly, put all the ingredients in the blender.
- Then, blend them until you obtain a smooth juice.
- Divide this portion into 3 doses a day, distributed throughout the day.
Read more: Onion Juice: How to Extract it and its Uses
If you’ve been diagnosed with a urinary tract infection, it’s best to follow your doctor’s instructions and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
According to MayoClinic experts, “Antibiotics usually are the first line treatment for urinary tract infections. Which drugs are prescribed and for how long depend on your health condition and the type of bacteria found in your urine.”
Certainly, maintaining good hydration will be fundamental to support the recovery process.
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Torres Torres, L. F., Jurado Gámez, M. J., & Garrido Arroyo, A. (2004). Anatomía y fisiología renal. Puesta Al Día En Nefrología.
- Martínez, J. (2011). Aparato urinario. In Patologia sistémica veterinaria.
- Mauroy, B. (2002). Uretra femenina normal y patológica. EMC – Urología. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1761-3310(14)67534-4