A Natural Turmeric Remedy Against Nail Fungus
Nail fungus can appear either on toenails or on the nails of your hands. The medical terminology for such ailment is onychomycosis. It alters the color, thickness, and shape of the nails, and can also cause an unpleasant smell. Therefore, we’ll take a look at the anti-fungal properties of a natural turmeric remedy to fix this problem.
It’s an infection caused by dermatophytes, or a kind of yeast, which generally doesn’t pose as a serious health problem, its presence can cause weakness, brittleness, and total loss of the nail.
Besides, some people may even feel pain when using certain kinds of footwear or doing certain activities. In this case, it’s necessary to look for suitable treatment and to consult your doctor.
Turmeric, a powerful spice
According to popular belief, in addition to the treatment prescribed by the doctor, a natural turmeric remedy can be used.
Turmeric (Curcuma longa) is a root that belongs to the ginger family: Zingiberaceae.
Although most of its uses have to do with cooking, it’s also used as the base for many homemade remedies since it’s attributed, above all, anti-inflammatory properties, due to its curcumin content.
Read more about How to Strengthen Nails
Why use a natural turmeric remedy to fight nail fungus?
Not only does it fight off the microorganisms that cause it but also helps to alleviate brittleness and nail color change.
According to a study published in the Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, curcumin can inhibit and reduce the growth of different microbes and bacteria.
- Curcumin, its main active compound, exerts an anti-fungal and anti-bacterial effect that helps put a stop to the yeasts and dermatophytes’ growth.
- In addition, it also offers extra nutrition to the cuticles and nail’s surface. This way, it strengthens your nails and helps to avoid breakage.
- Because of its vitamin, anti-oxidant, and mineral contents, it is a great ally to counteract the damage caused by continuous contact with chemicals and surfaces in the environment.
How to prepare this natural turmeric remedy
In order to increase the potency of the turmeric treatment for fighting nail fungus, we propose combining it with coconut oil. This ingredient has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal compounds. When absorbed, they help put a stop to fungi growth.
Also, thanks to its essential fatty acids and antioxidants, it supplies the absorption of moisture and cuticle nutrition. Therefore, controlling excessive dryness and brittleness.
- 3 tbsp. of organic coconut oil
- 3 tbsp. of turmeric powder
- Glass container with a lid
- Melt the coconut oil, which should be 100% organic. Then, mix in the turmeric powder.
- Blend the mixture until you get a creamy consistency. Then, remove it from the heat.
- Let it sit for a few minutes. When it’s warm, store it in the glass container.
- Once it solidifies, proceed to spread over your nails.
How to use it
- Take the amount you deem necessary of the turmeric remedy and spread it over the nails affected with fungi.
- Let it absorb for 30 or 40 minutes, then rinse.
- If you like, apply it on the heels of your feet and other areas that are susceptible to fungal infection.
- Repeat the use of this remedy every day until a noticeable change is seen in the appearance of your nails.
Read more about Eight Tricks to Nourish and Protect Your Nails
Nail fungus is something you need to treat
Nail fungus is a health problem that requires personalized medical treatment since each case is different. In the first instance, the use of natural remedies isn’t usually considered, however, there are those who disagree.
Natural remedies aren’t always based on scientific evidence, but rather on beliefs and assumptions, and therefore aren’t 100% effective in all cases. Despite this, there are those who consider they can use it as a side treatment.
Before resorting to a natural remedy, we recommend consulting your doctor. Otherwise, by trying it, you could worsen the problem and interfere with the strategy prescribed by the professional.
Remember that while natural ingredients can be beneficial, they can also cause side effects.It might interest you...
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- A Review on Antibacterial, Antiviral, and Antifungal Activity of Curcumin
- Bactericidal Activity of Curcumin I Is Associated with Damaging of Bacterial Membrane
- Curcumin: Transforming the spice to a wonder drug