Fight Nail Fungus with This Natural Turmeric Remedy
Thanks to the medicinal properties of turmeric, we are able to fight off nail fungus efficiently and also make them stronger.
Nail fungus can appear either on toenails or on the nails of your hands. The medical terminology for such ailment is onychomycosis.
It’s an infection caused by dermatophytes, or a kind of yeast, which can spread easily over the nail structure when adequate environments are provided.
It is a very common problem among people and although there are many forms of preventing it, it appears at least once in a lifetime for a majority.
It generally does not pose as a serious health problem. However, its presence can cause weakness, brittleness and total loss of the nail.
Besides, some people may even feel pain when using certain kinds of footwear. And as days go by, they may also notice a yellowish and anti-aesthetic nail appearance.
Fortunately, it’s a condition that can be cured naturally thanks to the anti-fungal properties of ingredients such as turmeric.
On this occasion, we would like to explain why this ingredient is so effective and how to use it to fight nail fungus.
Get ready to take notes!
Natural Turmeric Remedy to Fight Off Nail Fungus
Turmeric (Curcuma longa) is a root that belongs to the ginger family: Zingiberaceae.
Since ancient times, turmeric has been greatly valued for its high nutritive contents and health properties. In the long run, it helps maintain the well-being of the body internally and externally.
Used as a colorant and condiment for many meals, it’s an ingredient that can’t be left out in the kitchen of millions of people.
Although most of its uses have to do to with cooking, it’s also used as the base for many homemade remedies.
This is due to its potent analgesic, anti-inflammatory and antibiotic effects. Their assimilation promotes improvement of many conditions that affect a person’s health.
Read more: How to Strengthen Nails
Why Use Turmeric to Fight Nail Fungus?
With respect to fungal treatment for nails, turmeric has shown very interesting effects.
Not only does it fight off the microorganisms that cause it but also helps to alleviate brittleness and nail color change.
- Curcumin, its main active compound, exerts an anti-fungal and anti-bacterial effect that helps put a stop to the yeasts and dermatophytes’ growth.
- In addition, it also offers extra nutrition to the cuticles and nails surface. This way, it strengthens your nails and helps to avoid breakage.
- Because of its vitamin, anti-oxidant and mineral contents, it is a great ally to counteract the damage caused by continuous contact with chemicals and surfaces in the environment.
How to Prepare a Turmeric Remedy for Fighting Nail Fungus
In order to increase potency of the turmeric treatment for fighting nail fungus, we propose combining it with coconut oil.
This ingredient has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal compounds. When absorbed, they help put a stop to fungi growth.
Also, thanks to its essential fatty acids and antioxidants, absorption of moisture and cuticle nutrition is supplied. Therefore, controlling excessive dryness and brittleness.
- 3 tablespoons of organic coconut oil (45g)
- 3 tablespoons of turmeric powder (30g)
- Glass container with a lid
- Melt the coconut oil, which should be 100% organic.
- Then, mix in the turmeric powder.
- Blend the mixture until a creamy consistency is obtained.
- Then, remove it from the heat.
- Let it sit for a few minutes. When it’s warm, store it in the glass container.
- Once it solidifies, proceed to spread over your nails.
Manner of Use
- Take the amount you deem necessary of the turmeric remedy and spread it over the nails affected with fungi.
- Let it absorb during 30 or 40 minutes, then rinse.
- If you like, apply it on the heels of your feet and other areas that are susceptible to fungal infection.
- Repeat the use of this remedy every day until a noticeable change is seen in the appearance of your nails.
Read more: 8 Tricks to Nourish and Protect Your Nails
In order to get optimum results, complement this turmeric remedy with good hygiene habits and well-ventilated shoes.
Avoid contact with humid environments. Unfortunately, these facilitate fungi growth.
Clean your shoes and socks well, especially if the fungi has made contact with them.
Avoid sharing personal items such as:
- nail clippers
- nail polish
- nail files
Last but not least, improve your diet so that your immune system can be stronger against fungal and bacteria presence.