Exercises to Prevent and Treat Varicose Veins
Varicose veins are produced from having inflammation in the veins. These have valves that work only one way and make the blood circulate towards the heart. Once they are weakened, the blood accumulates in the veins which forms clots that make the varicose veins appears that generally look like small blue or purple threads. In this article, we will explain certain exercises to prevent and treat varicose veins.
They normally appear on your legs, however they can happen in other parts of the body. They mostly cause small signs and symptoms, and the truth is that anyone can have them especially if the person is elderly, overweight, or has a sedentary lifestyle.
Varicose veins can be treated with medical procedures, however the first thing we recommend is to do a lifestyle change when you experience them.
First, if you suffer from varicose veins, you will need to strengthen your leg muscles and promote the proper functioning of the veins. In order to do that, you will have to do a lot of exercises, which are easy, practical, and won’t require any kind of equipment, so you can do them anywhere or in your house at any time.
Take a look at the following exercises and try to do them a few times a day, leaving spaces of time for your muscles to rest and recuperate.
When you lay down to rest in your free time, take the time to do these exercises:
- Lay on your back and raise your legs. Put them on the wall. This position will facilitate circulation and make you feel rested.
- You can also lift your legs up when they are straight. Separate them, and bring them together a few times.
- Lift your legs up and pedal in the air in the same position. You can also make circles with your feet.
- Bend one of your legs towards your chest, supporting it from behind the knee. Leave it there for a few seconds and change legs. This exercise will work the muscles in your calves.
- With your legs straight, bend your toes 20 times per repetition.
If you spend a lot of time sitting down at home or at work, do these exercises:
- Stretch and bend your legs constantly to facilitate blood circulation
- Separate and bring the tips of your feet together. Repeat it at least 30 times a session. Remember that it is important to do these exercises consistently and daily to get the best effect.
- Support your heels on the floor, raise the tips of your toes, lower and raise your heels a few times.
- Walk on your tip toes and then on your heels
- Without moving in place, flex by standing on your toes and heels.
Recommendations to Prevent Their Appearance
Keeping your skin moisturized will help keep it soft and healthy. Constant massages on the affected area will help relieve discomfort and reduce swelling.
- Do short and circular massages, with the purpose of moving accumulated blood so that it can continue its journey to the heart.
- Spread the cream upwards from your feet to your abdomen. This will hep your blood vessels get rid of the obstruction of liquids, salts, fats, and toxins.
Maintain an Ideal Weight
Although it is often difficult to not go beyond the recommended weight, this is necessary for health and esthetics. Obesity is one of the factors that causes poor circulation, as well as gaining and losing weight, so try to keep a stable body weight.
Avoid Spending a Lot of Time in the Same Position
There are activities that make you spend a lot of time standing up or sitting down, but your legs should move once in awhile. You can do the exercises that were listed above during these times.
Varicose veins do not necessarily have to be treated by a doctor, but there are situations in which this is necessary, especially when there is pain, the appearance of them becomes more and more obvious, or ulcers appear on the legs.
When doing physical activity, we recommend walking constantly for at least 30 minutes a day. Swimming is also an excellent exercise for varicose veins because it makes blood circulation function properly and also strengthens muscles in your body.
Riding a bike also helps fight this problem because it regulates pressure and increase blood flow in the veins.
If you do these exercises consistently and are dedicated, you will be able to prevent the appearance of varicose veins or reduce their appearance if you already have them.