Discover How to Naturally Lighten Your Underarms
Most of these tips for lightening your underarm area take time, so apply them regularly and don’t be discouraged if you don’t see results the first time
Dark stains in the underarm area affect a lot of men and women today. While it’s not a disease or risky condition, it is something that embarrasses a lot of people.
This pigmentation is very common among people who have type 2 diabetes because insulin reacts with the skin and it produces more melanin, causing certain areas to darken.
If you haven’t been diagnosed with diabetes, you should be aware that this can also be associated with:
- Addison’s disease
- Hormonal changes during pregnancy
- An unusual increase in insulin production
If you’re overweight, dark stains under the arms can be caused by an excessive rubbing of the skin. In this case it’s known as hyperkeratosis.
This condition makes it difficult for your underarms to find relief from the irritation, pressure, and inflammation due to friction in the area.
Although it’s a problem that can cause you a lot of shame, you should be aware that there are some ways you can treat it.
Pick your favorite from the following:
Lemon juiceThe juice from this fruit is very useful when it comes to underarm stains. It’s a remedy that’s extremely easy to use, as all you need to do is rub half of a lemon on the area.
You can apply this as often as you wish.
After each application, avoid using deodorant and any chemical products. Don’t worry about smelling bad because this citrus fruit also acts as a natural deodorant.
Also remember to avoid exposure to the sun. The same properties that lighten the skin can work against you.
The vitamins and fatty acids in yogurt are very helpful to your skin. They can minimize the pigmentation found in these dark areas and heal any damage to the skin.
Just apply two tablespoons of yogurt over the affected areas and wait 15 to 20 minutes before removing it.
Then apply your regular deodorant.
A good tip is to apply the lemon following the yogurt. This will enhance the effects of both treatments.
Exfoliate your underarmsExfoliating the skin under the arms can help gradually but steadily diminish pigmentation.
This is because the dark coloring may be caused by the build-up of dead skin cells.
Any type of body scrub can be used but we recommend using a natural one. Depending on what you choose, you can use it one to three times a week.
After you lose that dark tone, continue to use the scrub once a week.
Rice flour and vinegar paste
- 2 tablespoons of rice flour (20 g)
- 2 tablespoons of vinegar (20 ml)
- Make a paste using rice flour and vinegar and apply it to your underarms after a hot shower.
- The paste is not an exfoliant so you can use it as often as you like, leaving it on for 20 minutes. After that time, rinse with warm water.
- This is a highly effective treatment because the acids in vinegar destroy the bacteria that feed on dead skin cells.
- Apply this paste at least once a week and you’ll find that your skin tone is even at least.
Cucumber and turmeric
- The juice from one cucumber
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric (5 g)
- Combine the cucumber juice and teaspoon of turmeric and apply it to the affected areas. Let this act for half an hour.
- The turmeric will act as a gentle exfoliant that will remove any dead skin cells.
- This treatment is very mild so you can use it twice a week without worry.
Potato juiceThe liquid from potatoes when you slice them is considered to be a natural whitening agent. It can help you fight dark skin stains when you apply it directly.
The results from this treatment are gradual but progressive, so be patient.
- Take a potato and put it through your food processor.
- Store the juice in a plastic container with a lid, in the refrigerator.
- To use it, soak a cotton cloth in the liquid and place it over the affected areas for one hour.
- After that time, rinse with warm water.
You can apply this treatment every day.
When you use deodorants that contain alcohol or antiperspirants it can irritate your skin.
A good way to take care of this delicate region and avoid dark stains is to replace those products with talcum powder.
It absorbs moisture, so your underarms will remain dry. You don’t need to worry about body odor, either.
If you’re still self conscious about the smell, you can use lemon in addition to the talcum powder.
If you choose to do this, apply the lemon first. Then, once the area is dry, apply talcum powder.
Do you want to know more? See: 4 signs of a potassium deficiency
Wax your underarms
When you use razor blades it irritates the skin, and people typically don’t give it enough time to heal.
Although razors are the quickest method, they’re not the best. Waxing will removing the hair and dead skin cells.