Detox Your Liver and Reduce Dark Under-Eye Circles with Oil and Lemon
If you feel tired every day, have no energy, and your skin looks dull and dry, perhaps you should consider making a change in your life. In fact, you can try detoxing your liver.
Below, we’ll tell you more about a natural cleansing method for your liver along with other interesting aspects to consider concerning the health of this vital organ.
Liver health is reflected in your appearance
When something’s not quite right with your health, it’s often reflected in your appearance. For example, if you’re not too healthy and aren’t sleeping well, your skin usually looks pale with dark circles under your eyes.
To fight this, it’s important to gradually improve your lifestyle habits, following your doctor’s recommendations. In this regard, the first step is to change your diet.
Start by cutting out fried foods, replacing trans and saturated fats with healthy fats, eating more fruit and vegetables, and moderating your sugar intake.
In addition, there are some remedies you can try to detox your liver and improve its function.
It’s thought that cleansing the liver is necessary to help release any accumulated toxins which may be preventing it from functioning properly.
Cleansing or detox remedies seek to provide the liver with the nutrients it needs to be healthy, synthesize proteins, secrete hormones, and support metabolic function.
In this article, we’ll show you a way to cleanse your liver naturally, improve your health, and, in turn, your appearance. So, you can detox your liver and wave goodbye to under-eye circles.
Natural remedy to detox your liver and reduce dark under-eye circles
This detox remedy to cleanse your liver and reduce dark under-eye circles is prepared by combining olive oil and lemon juice, two ingredients usually found in the home.
Due to its antioxidant content, soluble fats, and other components, it’s believed that this remedy can eliminate toxins accumulated in the liver. Furthermore, by treating the liver, skin health will improve, reducing the appearance of dark circles under the eyes.
In this next section, we want to tell you more about the ingredients used in this remedy, so that you can decide for yourself whether you want to try it.
You might also like to read: 8 Foods to Avoid for a Healthy Liver
The benefits of olive oil
Olive oil is a big part of the popular Mediterranean diet. It’s become one of the best alternative oils for people who want to lead a healthier lifestyle.
The essential fatty acids and anti-inflammatory compounds in olive oil can help improve your overall health. They’re particularly beneficial for the cardiovascular and hepatic systems.
Because it’s rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals, olive oil helps fight the damaging effects of free radicals. More specifically, it prevents the accumulation of fat in the liver and protects liver cells and excessive scarring of damaged tissue. Additionally, it stimulates the elimination of waste to prevent the development of diseases.
The fats contained in products such as olive oil are also beneficial for your health. Therefore, it’s worth considering including it in your meals more often.
The benefits of lemon
The Spanish Nutrition Foundation (FEN) states that lemons are renowned for their high vitamin C content. They also contain flavonoids, smaller quantities of vitamin B, and soluble fiber.
According to experts at the Spanish Heart Foundation, antioxidants are essential for maintaining your overall health. They help reduce oxidative stress which, in turn, helps prevent cell damage and disease.
Lemon can help protect the liver from conditions such as non-alcoholic fatty liver, cirrhosis, or fibrosis. This is evidenced in animal studies, which would, presumably, be supported by tests with humans.
In detox plans, lemon plays a fundamental role due to its antioxidant content. It’s thought to help balance the body and facilitate the expulsion of toxins.
Detox your liver with olive oil and lemon juice
According to the detox philosophy, you can prepare a cleansing remedy to complement your diet and help the liver clean itself. This remedy can be prepared with just two ingredients: olive oil and lemon.
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil (30 g).
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice (10 ml).
- Pour the olive oil into a glass container.
- Add the lemon juice and mix both ingredients together with a spoon.
- Dissolve a teaspoon of the mixture in a glass of warm water and drink on an empty stomach. It’ll help regulate your gastrointestinal transit.
- Eat breakfast as usual.
You might also like to read: Health Benefits of Mixing Lemon Juice and Olive Oil
You must bear in mind that there’s no scientific evidence to support this remedy for cleansing the liver and reducing dark under-eye circles. Its benefits are derived from the individual advantages that both ingredients offer for liver health.
For this reason, it’s important to remember that there are no miracle cures and that you must introduce this remedy into your diet carefully, in accordance with the instructions.
What more can you do to prevent dark under-eye circles?
Dark circles under the eyes don’t usually indicate any serious health problem. As a rule, they’re due to situations such as tiredness, lack of sleep, or normal signs of the aging process.
However, if the discoloration or swelling appears only under one eye and worsens over time, it’s best to consult your doctor to discover how to treat it. For the other cases, there are small home remedies and other ways to mitigate them.
- Carefully place something cold on the area. For example, a flannel or a bag of ice. This promotes vasoconstriction and improves the appearance of dark circles that appear due to the dilation of blood vessels.
- Elevate the head at night if there’s also swelling in the area.
- Chronic lack of sleep can make the circles more noticeable. Therefore, you should make sure you get enough rest.
- Apply a moisturizer with added sunscreen to the affected area. In case of direct exposure, wear sunglasses or wide-brimmed hats.
- There are creams and other cosmetic products that can help keep the area hydrated and nourished and even reduce or hide dark circles. You might also like to consult a dermatologist to discuss other techniques and therapies to eliminate them.
As already mentioned, this advice must be accompanied by an adequate diet. Not only to take care of your liver but also to keep the area under your eyes in perfect condition.
For this reason, it’s advisable to maintain good hydration, avoid alcohol and excess salt, and eat plenty of fresh foods such as vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and healthy fats.
Detox your liver to keep it healthy
The liver is an organ that must fulfill more than 500 functions. Therefore, you must be aware of how important it is to maintain good lifestyle habits to avoid harming your liver and damaging your health.
Two of the most harmful habits for the liver are smoking and alcoholism, but they’re not the only ones. You must also take care of your diet, hydration, and even physical activity.
If you have any questions about how to lead a healthy lifestyle, consult your doctor. On the other hand, remember that, for diet issues, you can always consult a nutritionist.
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Alarcón de la Lastra, C., Barranco, M. D., Motilva, V., & Herrerías, J. M. (2001). Mediterranean diet and health: biological importance of olive oil. 1. https://doi.org/10.2174/1381612013397654.
- Fundación Española del Corazón. Antioxidantes: ¿qué son y para qué sirven? Febrero 2018.
- Fundación Española de la Nutrición. Limón.
- Mahmoud A. M, Hernández Bautista R. J, et al. Beneficial effects of citrus flavonoids on cardiovascular and metabolic health. Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity. 2019: 5484138.
- (2007) Investigation into Hepatoprotective Activity of Citrus limon., Pharmaceutical Biology, 45:4, 303-311,
- Soto-Alarcon A, Valenzuela R, et al. Liver protective effects of extravirgin olive oil: interaction between it’s chemical composition and the cell-signaling pathways involved in protection. Endocrine, Metabolic & Inmune Disorders Drug Targets. 2018. 18 (1): 75-84.
- Zhou, T., Zhang, Y. J., Xu, D. P., Wang, F., Zhou, Y., Zheng, J., … Li, H. Bin. (2017). Protective effects of lemon juice on alcohol-induced liver injury in mice. BioMed Research International. https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/7463571