Detox Your Liver and Cleanse the Bloodstream with Beets
Beets are much more than a simple root vegetable. Deep within their brilliant purple heart is a large store of antioxidants and vitamins that are very beneficial to your health, which is why you should include them in your diet on a regular basis.
Rich in fiber, protein, and water, this medicinal plant provides energy and can be used to treat various types of ailments – especially any health problems associated with the liver. In today’s article, we’ll discuss all the things that beets can do for you.
The beet, your liver’s best friend
Do you love beets? Is their refreshing, earthy flavor already part of your weekly meal rotation? Do you prefer them raw, or boiled with a little oil or salt? If the answer is yes, carry on! Whenever you have a problem with your liver, then beets – which are readily available in stores and markets around the world – can become your best friend to help heal inflammation and remove toxins.
Pay attention to the following characteristics of beets.
1. They’re a treasure trove of antioxidants
Beets are rich in beta-carotene, carotenoids, and flavonoids – all powerful antioxidants that give them that distinctive, attractive color. All foods that are rich in antioxidants are known to be effective at cleansing your liver, particularly if you suffer from fatty liver disease.
In 2012, an interesting clinical trial was published in the New England Journal of Medicine, which showed that patients with fatty liver disease showed significant improvements when treated with antioxidants. In particular, the inflammation and levels of fat in the liver were reduced. This is due, in part, to betalaine, a type of powerful antioxidant that’s also very beneficial in preventing premature aging.
So don’t hesitate: if there ever were a vegetable rich in antioxidants that you should be eating on a regular basis, it’s the beet.
2. They boost metabolism and burn fat
Beets are a great choice when you want to lose weight. They pack a lot of energy, are satisfying, and rich in fiber. So if you try making a beet smoothie before each meal, for example, you’ll get lots of nutrients while feeling fuller and causing you to eat less between meals.
In addition, consuming beets can help in these other areas:
- Detox the body thanks to the high content of fiber, helping to prevent the accumulation of toxins and fluid retention, while improving digestion and avoiding constipation. All this helps improve your liver function, preventing the build up of fat and other lipids that get stored in the cells of this important organ.
- Beets help boost the metabolism because they stimulate better liver and digestive function.
- Another benefit is the optimization of your lymphatic system function, further helping to remove toxins from your body.
It’s interesting to note that fatty liver disease can be reversed as long as you eat a low-fat diet that’s rich in vitamins and minerals from fresh fruits and vegetables. So beets are an excellent choice in this case.
3. Beets cleanse your bloodstream, caring for your heart
This vegetable was used in ancient times to add “strength” to the blood and treat people in a state of convalescence. We summarize the beneficial properties of the beet for your bloodstream in the following interesting anecdotes:
- Beets are rich in potassium, which helps regulate blood pressure.
- Beets reduce bad cholesterol (LDL) levels.
- They’re high in iron, magnesium, phosphorus, folic acid, and vitamins A, B, and C. They’re literally packed with nutrients that strengthen your bloodstream and promote the removal of harmful substances.
How to use beets to care for and detox your liver
The most beneficial way to use the properties of beets to heal and detox your liver, as well as cleanse your bloodstream is to consume them raw. Grate some beets and carrots to make a salad. When you add a drizzle of olive oil and lemon juice you’ve got the ideal remedy for your health.
Medicinal juice for your liver
- 1 cup of water (200 ml)
- 1 medium sized beet
- 1 medium sized carrot
- 1 medium sized apple
Start by washing all the ingredients thoroughly, then cut them into small pieces to make them easier for your blender to process them. Make sure both the beet and carrot are raw, because this is when they contain the most nutrients.
Process all ingredients in your blender until you get a nice smooth liquid, which you’ll mix with the cup of water to dilute it. If you add a few ice cubes it will be even more refreshing and enjoyable.
When should you drink it? Half an hour before your main meal of the day. Just have one cup of this juice every day for five days to detox your liver. Rest for 10 days before starting the process again. You’re getting a delicious delivery of nutrients that will benefit your health.
Don’t miss out!