How to Heal a Urinary Tract Infection Naturally
A urinary tract infection is a very frequent condition that affects the urinary tract. It can happen in the bladder, kidneys, ureter or urethra. Read on to learn about the causes of this problem and how to heal it naturally.
Characteristics of a urinary tract infection
A urinary tract infection, like we said above, can happen in different parts of the body:
- Bladder: this is called cystitis or a bladder infection.
- Kidneys: it can happen in one or both kidneys and is called pyelonephritis or a kidney infection.
- Ureter: in some rare cases, the tracts that carry urine from the kidney to the bladder become infected.
- Urethra: this is called urethritis and occurs when the tract that carries urine out of the bladder becomes infected.
In the majority of cases, urinary tract infections are caused by bacteria that makes its way into the urethra and the bladder, where it’s most common, although it can also show up in the kidneys. Most people’s bodies get rid of the bacteria on their own, but certain things can increase your risk of this type of infection.
Things that increase your risk of urinary tract infection
For example, women tend to suffer from urinary tract infections more often than men because they have a shorter urethra. Plus, women can become infected after having sex or using birth control devices like a diaphragm. Women with menopause also have a higher risk of getting an infection like this.
Other factors that also increase your chances of suffering from a urinary tract infection are:
- Old age.
- Alzheimer’s disease.
- Urinary catheter.
- Bowel incontinence.
- Enlarged prostate.
- Narrowed urethra.
- Kidney stones.
The symptoms of a urinary tract infection in the bladder are:
- Cloudy urine, sometimes with blood or a strong, unpleasant smell.
- Low fever.
- Pain or burning when urinating.
- Intense need to urinate often.
- Pressure or spasms in the back or lower abdomen.
- Feeling like the bladder is full, but not urinating much.
If the infection is in the kidneys, the symptomsare:
- Cold sweats.
- Back or groin pain.
- Hot or reddened skin.
- Intense abdominal pain.
Natural remedies for urinary tract infections
- Make a tea with 25 grams of birch per liter of water, let it set for 10 minutes, drain it, and drink up to three cups per day.
- Mix a handful of each of the following herbs: marshmallow root, plantain, yarrow, nettle, and goldenrod (the leafy part). With a spoon, muddle the herbs together and pour in a cup of boiling water. Cover the mixture, let it set for 15 minutes, drain it, and drink two cups per day.
- Boil 20 grams of barley in one liter of water. Once the water starts to boil, throw in 20 grams of juniper. Lower the heat and let the mixture cook for a few more minutes. Cover it and let it set for 20 minutes, then drain it and drink up to three cups per day.
- In one liter of water, mix four tablespoons of each of the following ingredients: marigold, flaxseed, horsetail, and thyme. Boil for 10 minutes, then cover the mixture and let it set for 15 minutes. Drain and take sitz baths twice per day.
- Mix one tablespoon of celery seed with one cup of boiling water, then cover and let it cool for 10 minutes. Drink this liquid before it cools off completely.
- Dissolve ¼ tablespoon or baking soda in a glass of water and drink once per day. Before consuming this beverage, you should also drink two cups of plain water.
- Peel and core an apple, then slice. Peel a banana and slice it as well. Mix these two fruits in a blender with a glass of water and drink the smoothie on an empty stomach.
- Make a smoothie with two cups of fresh blueberries, a slice of watermelon and half a cup of cherries, after washing everything and taking out the seeds. Drink immediately.
- Heat half a cup of cherries with their stems in a water bath. Remove the pit once the cherry has softened and blend the rest. Add one tablespoon of honey and store this mixture in a glass jar with a tight seal. Eat two tablespoons per day.
Read more: How to Use Honey for Weight Loss
- Drink two tablespoons of virgin coconut oil per day. You can also drink a glass of coconut water before breakfast and another before going to bed.
- Peel two cloves of garlic and smash them. Add a cup of hot water and let the mixture set for five minutes. Drink this mixture three times per day.
- In one liter of water, dissolve two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. Drink throughout the day.
- Peel an onion and cut it into four parts. Boil them for 20 minutes in half a liter of water. Remove it from the heat and let it set for 8 hours. Then drain the mixture and drink the broth. This will help you urinate more and get rid of bacteria.
- Pour two tablespoons of basil leaves into a cup of boiling water. Let this set for 10 minutes and drink it twice per day for 48 hours.
- Make a smoothie with two cups of cranberry juice, one cup of pomegranate juice, one cup of chopped papaya (or cantaloupe) ¼ cup of lemon juice and one tablespoon of ginger juice or a grated slice of ginger. You can also add six ice cubes and drink five cups per day.
- Prepare a tea with one cup of boiling water and one tablespoon of chopped parsley. Let the mixture set for 15 minutes and then sweeten it with honey. Drink three cups per day.