How to Help Control Diabetes with Cinnamon
Although cinnamon can be very effective to control diabetes, if you are following a medical treatment, it's best to consult your doctor before consuming it in case there are side effects
Cinnamon is a spice that is obtained from the Cinnamomum verum tree. It’s a medicinal and gastronomical ingredient that, for hundreds of years, has been part of the human diet. Nowadays, it’s still used to give flavor and a special aroma to food. In addition to this, it’s actually possible to control diabetes with cinnamon, as well as other illnesses too.
In fact, due to its high amount of nutrients and active ingredients, it can be used to help control glucose levels in the blood of patients with diabetes. Although more scientific evidence is needed to prove these effects, regular consumption could bring interesting benefits in the control of this condition.
What is diabetes?
Type 1 Diabetes is a chronic illness that is characterized by the accumulation of excess sugar in the blood. It’s a disorder that prevents your body from using glucose correctly. Glucose is a substance that we need to maintain good health. However, the body often doesn’t process it correctly. It’s a buildup in the blood which produces a negative impact on the entire body.
There are several different types of diabetes depending on how it develops:
- Type 1
- Type 2
- And, finally, gestational
Also see: 11 Complications of Diabetes
Causes of diabetes
Diabetes originates when the body loses its ability to use insulin, or when it produces too little in the pancreas.
- Type 1 diabetes doesn’t have an exact known cause. Experts associate its development with a type of “chaos” in the immune system and deterioration of the cells that produce insulin
- Many cases of type 2 diabetes, like pre-diabetes, originate from resistance to insulin or low production of it
- In the case of gestational diabetes, there are hormonal factors associated with the resistance to insulin cells
Certain factors can cause an increased risk of diabetes. The most common are:
- Family history of diabetes
- Being overweight, obese, or leading a sedentary lifestyle
- The presence of harmful cells in the immune system
- Abnormal levels of cholesterol and triglycerides
Why use cinnamon to control diabetes?
You can control diabetes with cinnamon on a gradual basis. Although it isn’t a miracle cure, including it in your regular diet can be extremely helpful to regulate the level of glucose in your blood.
A study published in 2003 proved this. In the study, 60 patients with type 2 diabetes participated. Each one received between 1-6 grams of cinnamon in their daily diet.
- After 40 days of treatment and research, the glucose levels in the patients had declined between 18% and 29%.
- Plus, the results also determined that including cinnamon in your diet can reduce the risk factors related to diabetes and cardiovascular problems.
We recommend that you read: 10 Initial Diabetes Symptoms You Can’t Ignore
How do I control diabetes with cinnamon?
There are many types of cinnamon. However, for this particular purpose, we recommend Ceylon cinnamon (Cinnamomum Zeylanicum). Overall, it’s important to keep an eye on your daily dose because excessive consumption of this spice can cause side effects.
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of cinnamon every day is sufficient to receive its benefits.
Many people prefer to eat it added to drinks and desserts. These are valid options. However, as a remedy, it’s best to prepare it in a tea.
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 cup of water
- Firstly, pour the ground cinnamon into a cup of boiling water and cover it
- Then let it steep for 5-10 minutes and filter out the ground cinnamon
Mode of Consumption
- Drink the tea on an empty stomach in the morning and repeat it in the afternoon.
Note: Consult your doctor before trying this remedy if you are already on a treatment plan for your diabetes.
Diabetes is a complex disease that doesn’t have a cure. Despite this, diabetes patients can lead a normal life if they improve their daily habits. It is possible to control diabetes with cinnamon, but you must, at the same time, watch your diet. However, in order to not experience complications, it’s important that you eliminate processed sugar from your diet.