Chia Pudding for Breakfast
Chia pudding for breakfast is a recipe that’s characterized by its excellent nutrient content. Besides being easy to prepare, it helps us to get energy first thing in the morning. We’ll tell you about its properties and how to prepare it. Take note!
Chia pudding for breakfast: the importance of having breakfast
To begin with, let’s talk about the importance of breakfast. Since it’s the first meal of the day, eating it can contribute to a better quality in our diet, better energy levels and, therefore, greater well-being. This is all true as long as we make good food choices.
A study published in the journal Hospital Nutrition, shows how numerous researchers suggest that eating a healthy breakfast is associated with a better nutrient intake and better nutritional quality of the diet throughout the day.
You’re starting your day and what’s the first thing you need? If your answer was energy and nutrition, then this recipe will fit your needs perfectly.
Discover: 6 Breakfast Foods for Extra Energy
Properties of chia seeds
Chia seeds, salvia hispanica, have been known for more than 5000 years, especially because they were one of the main foods present in the diet of the Mayas and Aztecs. Their properties show their excellent nutritional potential as they:
- Contain protein (mainly prolamins) and polyunsaturated fatty acids (omega 3 and omega 6)
- Provide B vitamins and minerals (potassium, magnesium, calcium and phosphorus)
- Contain antioxidants (mainly chlorogenic and caffeic acid, quercetin and kaempferol)
- Help obtain a certain amount of soluble fiber
Thanks to these properties, numerous studies have demonstrated the therapeutic effects of this seed on non-infectious diseases. Specialists have determined the following:
- Firstly, they contribute to lowering blood glucose concentration, waist circumference and body weight in overweight individuals.
- They also help control blood pressure and cholesterol levels, thus protecting against cardiovascular diseases.
- Finally, according to a study published in the journal Molecules, the kaempferol present in chia seeds and other foods has anticarcinogenic potential (skin, liver and colon). Of course, more studies are needed to prove these effects.
In any case, doctors recommend including this functional food in our regular diet in order to enjoy its properties. Here’s how to prepare a delicious chia pudding for breakfast.
Keep reading: What Are The Differences Between Glucose and Fructose?
Chia pudding recipe for breakfast
A delicious chia pudding can help you have a complete and healthy breakfast. It doesn’t overdo it with calories, it’s energetic, and provides nutrients that are determinant for well-being.
- 3-4 tablespoons of chia seeds (45 g or 1.50 oz)
- 1 cup of vegetable or animal milk (250 ml)
- 1/2 teaspoon honey or sweetener of your choice (5 g or o.2 oz)
- Vanilla and cinnamon to taste
- Add a fruit of your choice and some muesli, whole-grain cereals such as oatmeal, etc.
Preparing chia pudding
- First, in a bowl or mason jar, mix the chia seeds, milk, sweetener, vanilla and cinnamon homogeneously.
- Then, once the ingredients are mixed, let it stand for 5 minutes, and mix again.
- Cover the mixture with a lid and put it in the refrigerator for one to two hours, or overnight. The chia pudding should have a thick (not runny) consistency.
- Remove from the refrigerator once the time has elapsed and it has reached the expected consistency.
- To top it off, add the toppings of your choice.
Include chia seeds in your breakfasts
Chia seeds are a very complete food for breakfast, as they provide nutrients that increase our energy and vitality. Best of all, we can incorporate them in a quick and delicious recipe like a pudding, combining them with fruits and cereals to our liking!It might interest you...