Celery and Green Apple Juice to Detox Your Kidneys
Celery and green apple juice is a refreshing beverage that can help keep you hydrated, stimulate urination, and detox your kidneys. Do you want to know the recipe and what its ingredients provide to your body? If so, keep reading!
Celery and green apple juice to detox your kidneys
It’s worth remembering that, when it comes to keeping your kidneys healthy, it isn’t enough to just drink water and follow a low-sodium diet. In fact, you also need to have a healthy lifestyle.
It isn’t enough to simply overindulge one day, “detox” the next, and then keep overindulging. You need to both make smart decisions and be flexible.
Bearing in mind that difficulties may arise when it comes to satisfying your appetite between meals, you should investigate in some healthy alternatives. For example, fruit juices and smoothies.
To have healthy kidneys, you need nutrients (vitamins and minerals) from foods and, above all, a good supply of antioxidants to help them carry out their filtering properly.
That’s why it’s a good idea to eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables every day. At the same time, avoid overeating, alcohol consumption, carbonated drinks, and smoking.
Breakfast is an important meal when you can get all the nutrients you need. In fact, including a smoothie or juice that’s full of nutrients, vitamins, and antioxidants is a great idea.
Below, we’ll explain why you might benefit from including green apples and celery in your morning juice.
You might also like to read: Fruit-Flavored Drinks: Everything You Need to Know
The multiple health benefits of celery
Celery is rich in water and fiber and has anti-inflammatory and anti-diuretic properties. This means it can improve kidney function and stimulate urine production, which helps clean out the urinary tract.
Increasing your urine output helps eliminate waste products like uric acid, kidney stones, and pathogenic microorganisms that cause urinary infections.
Due to its diuretic properties, c elery is great for treating water retention.
- As well as having a high water content (which is why it’s considered to be a good diuretic), celery is rich in vitamins A, B, C, E, and K. It also contains essential minerals like iron, potassium, zinc, phosphorus, sulfur, copper, aluminum, and manganese.
- Celery contains 3-N-butylphthalide, a type of photochemical that’s useful for reducing hypertension and high cholesterol, two enemies of kidney health.
Apples for a healthy life
Apples are a delicious fruit with many health benefits, whether they’re red, green, or yellow. However, green apples are better than the other varieties because they have fewer calories yet more vitamins and minerals.
A group of researchers from Florida State University led by Dr. Bahram Arjmandi confirmed that the high content of fiber, pectin, and polyphenols in apples helps protect cardiovascular health by reducing bad cholesterol levels.
Pectin (found in apple peel) helps the body eliminate waste through urine. Consequently, this nutrient can help treat inflammation and kidney problems, which increase your risk of cardiovascular disease.
According to Mireia Elias, a nutritionist at the European Medical Institute for Obesity, apples are great for your health. Not only because they’re high in fiber and vitamins, but also because they contain cysteine, arginine, and malic acid.
Discover: Effects of Salt on Kidney Health
Celery and green apple juice recipe
Celery and green apple juice is really easy to make. All you need are the right ingredients.
- 1 stalk of celery.
- 2 green apples.
- 1 cup of plant-based milk (rice, oat, or almond) (250 ml).
- Wash the green apple and celery.
- Cut the apple in half and remove the seeds.
- Chop the apple into pieces (you don’t need to peel it).
- Add the apple and the celery to the blender with the milk.
- Process until well-blended. A couple of minutes is enough.
- If it’s too thick, add a little more milk.
- Serve and drink in moderation as part of your breakfast or as a midday snack.
This may interest you: 9 Amazing Health Benefits of Apples
Don’t add sugar
We don’t recommend adding any sugar or sweetener to this juice. Enjoy its natural taste while, at the same time, enjoying all the benefits it has to offer.
Also, remember that a lot of plant-based milk contains sugar, so if you add more, you might be exceeding your recommended daily dose, according to the World Health Organization parameters.
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Arjmandi B. The effects of apple consumption on cardiovascular health in prediabetics and type 2 diabetics. U.S. National Library of Medicine. Diciembre 2016.
- Madhavi D, Kagan D, et al. A pilot study to evaluate the antihypertensive effect of celery extract in mild to moderate hypertensive patients. Natural Medicine Journal. Abril 2013. 5 (4).
- Reza Tamadon M, Zahmatkesh M, et al. Administration of antioxidants in chronic kidney disease. Journal of Nephropharmacology. Enero 2015. 4 (1): 9-11.
- Valero Gaspar T, Rodríguez Alonso P, et al. Apio. La alimentación española. Características nutricionales de los principales alimentos de nuestra dieta. Federación Española de Nutrición. Mayo 2018.