Carrulim is an ancient medicinal remedy from Paraguay. It is the product of cane liqueur, rue and lemon. People take it to clean the blood and to renew energy.
In this article, you can discover everything about this mysterious and surprising medicinal drink.
What is carrulim?
Carrulim is a medicinal alcoholic drink that, as its name indicates, contains cane liqueur, rue and lemon. However, there are some varieties with other ingredients like honey and rosemary.
This drink is made and consumed in Paraguay as well as in the neighboring countries of Brazil and Argentina.
The tradition states that it must be drunk on the 1st of August every year. On this day, you can find carrulim on any street corner.
Origin of the remedy
The indigenous Guaraní culture of Paraguay recognizes that August is the most difficult month for our health and for our luck in general.
Because of this, they created a remedy to give the body strength and to renew and improve one’s energy.
According to the tradition, carrulim is drunk on the 1st of August because this date represents the second entrance of the year. After all, it directly coincides with Paraguay’s winter.
When it comes to how to drink it, there are different options:
- Some say that you take three sips, while others prefer to drink seven.
- The most orthodox people choose to use a teaspoon since they say it is so effective that it is almost magical.
- However, there are others who abuse the remedy which, just like any other alcoholic beverage, has its negative consequences.
Rue is known for its energizing properties since it has the ability to do away with our bad energy and protect us from any danger.
At the physical level, it improves circulation and the digestive functions.
In some cultures, we can see people hanging rue in the entrance of homes to protect them from any situation that may put them in danger.
If the plant dies, it is hung in another place for further benefits.
Rue should not be ingested during pregnancy since it is considered an abortive plant.
A lemon is, with every possibility, one of the cleanest and best fruits that we can find for detoxing the body. It helps us to eliminate toxins and, despite being acidic, it has the ability to regulate our pH levels and neutralize hyperacidity.
This citric fruit strengthens our immune system and improves the functions of the liver, the kidneys and the intestine.
The best part of its properties can be found in the skin; the skin can always be eaten if the fruit is organic.
Just like rue, rosemary also has the ability to drive away bad energy and deeply cleanse our bodies.
At a physical level, it is an excellent plant for digestion that helps with the functions of the liver and the intestine.
Rosemary strengthens the immune system and greatly helps us fight off infections since it acts as a natural antibiotic.
Lastly, rosemary stimulates the body, moderately increasing blood pressure and helping with circulation.
Our remedy without alcohol
From the old carrulim recipe, we have made a more modern remedy without alcohol that still includes the medicinal ingredients:
- 1 organic lemon (we will use the juice and the peel)
- 4 cups of water (1 liter)
- 1/2 tablespoon of rosemary (3 g)
- 1 tablespoon of rue (4 g)
- 2 tablespoons of honey (60 g)
What should you do?
We will make our depurative recipe by doing the following:
- Squeeze the lemons and save the juice.
- Put the water on to boil with the cut up lemon peel and rosemary. Let it cook for 15 minutes.
- When 13 minutes have passed, add the rue.
- Cover the pan and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Strain the mixtures, add the lemon juice and sweeten with the honey.
- Your medicinal beverage is now ready.
How do I drink it?
We will drink this remedy at various times:
- 2 glasses on an empty stomach.
- 1 glass at midmorning.
- 1 glass at mid afternoon.
You can drink this medicinal beverage for 7 days to clean your blood and strengthen your spirit.