5 Best Fruits for Liver and Kidney Health
Want to know how you can take better care of your liver and kidneys? The most important thing is to lead a healthy lifestyle. Following a smart diet that limits your salt and fat intake is essential. Fresh fruits and vegetables are also very important. Read more to learn about the right fruits for liver and kidney health
Getting regular exercise, quitting smoking, and managing your emotions are also important for your health. However, nature, in the form of fruit, also offers a little assistance to keep your liver and kidneys healthy.
In today’s article, we’ll talk about the best fruits to help us take care of our liver and kidneys. Staying healthy has never been more delicious!
1. Watermelonso refreshing in the summertime and mixes nicely with other juices
Aside from being delicious, watermelon is especially good for your liver and kidney health:
- Thanks to its high water content and diuretic properties, watermelon is one of the best fruits for liver and kidney health. It works by cleansing the kidneys and stimulating proper liver function.
- The best way to enjoy watermelon is in juice form. That’s because it is more quickly absorbed into the tissues and bloodstream, which further stimulates good kidney function.
- Always choose fresh watermelon. If your fruit is overripe, it can do more harm than good.
One of the best fruits for liver and kidney health are cranberries. The best way to consume cranberries is in juice form. Aside from being delicious, cranberry juice optimizes liver, kidney, and bladder function. Here are some of the amazing benefits of cranberries:
- Cranberries are a natural antioxidant, and one of the best fruits you can find for a natural detox.
- They help cleanse the body and bloodstream and protect you from the effects of free radicals.
- One of the most well-known properties of cranberries is their ability to keep bacteria from adhering to the walls of the bladder. Curiously enough, that helps protect your entire gastrointestinal system.
3. Lemon, one of the best fruits for liver and kidney health
We recommend reading 3 Delicious Ways to Enjoy Lemons in the Morning
- Lemons have a natural detox agent that can help treat fatty liver disease.
- Rich in vitamins and minerals, lemons help optimize and strengthen the functions of the liver and kidneys.
- Lemons aid digestion by breaking down food once it reaches the stomach.
4. ApplesapplesApples are a great option, but make sure you also eat the peel – that’s the best part!
- In addition to helping control levels of bad cholesterol and triglyceride levels in the bloodstream, apples also stimulate proper kidney function and help detox the liver.
- To get the greatest health benefits, you should consume an apple a day. Just make sure to wash it well and always eat the peel.
5. Red grapes
- Red grapes are a powerful diuretic that help cleanse the kidneys and enhance the function of the liver. They are one of the best fruits for liver and kidney health.
- As you probably already know, they’re full of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. They also promote the elimination of toxins and other harmful waste products from the body.
- Red grapes have a very high water content, nearly 80%. That makes them suitable for daily consumption. Just like apples, you should always eat the nutrient-rich skin.
- You can enjoy grapes so many different ways: with breakfast in your bowl of oatmeal or plain Greek yogurt, or added to a delicious salad made with spinach, nuts, cheese, and even a little watermelon if you like.
- If you’re wondering whether drinking a glass of red wine a day can also be good for your liver and kidneys, the answer is yes! The benefits of red wine come from resveratrol, a powerful antioxidant found in red grapes. According to various studies, resveratrol is excellent for treating fatty liver disease. Just remember to limit yourself to one glass a day…everything in moderation!
You might like: 8 Reasons to Drink Red Wine in Moderation
Now that you know which are the best fruits for liver and kidney health, make sure and pick some up the next time you go to the supermarket. Your body will thank you!
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Ministerio de Salud Pública del Ecuador. (2015). Salud renal. Ministerio de Salud Púbica Del Ecuador.
- Ministerio de Salud Pública del Ecuador. (2015). Programa Nacional de Salud renal. Ministerio de Salud Púbica Del Ecuador. https://doi.org/10.1182/blood-2006-11-060707
- Imss. (2009). Diagnóstico y Tratamiento de la Insuficiencia Hepática. Guía de Práctica Clínica. https://doi.org/IMSS-038-08
- Perez, L. (2011). El hígado. Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition.
- Baur, J. A., & Sinclair, D. A. (2006). Therapeutic potential of resveratrol: The in vivo evidence. Nature Reviews Drug Discovery. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrd2060