7 Benefits of Hot Water on an Empty Stomach
Drinking hot water on an empty stomach is a simple practice that many people believe is good for your health and can help you lose weight.
Additionally, if you’ve tried drinking warm water with lemon juice on an empty stomach and think it’s too strong or it just doesn’t sit well, don’t hesitate to substitute that for just a glass of hot water instead.
Be sure to check out the following 7 great reasons why you should start practicing this simple daily habit. Give it a try for at least 15 days!
1. It could help you lose weight
Of course, by drinking hot water alone you won’t shed those extra pounds. It’s an easy and healthy way to complement a proper diet, which could help you shed pounds.
Many people believe that drinking hot water can:
- Boost your metabolism.
- Flush out toxins.
- Improve digestion.
- Reduce constipation.
When you improve these basic processes you’re keeping your body in balance, something that when complemented with a healthy diet and exercises, allows you to improve your figure.
We recommend you read the 3 most effective weight loss diets
2. It may balance your nervous system
There’s a theory that a great way to improve the health of your nervous system is by drinking hot water on an empty stomach. Those first moments of the morning are ideal for this because many people believe that’s when your stomach is most receptive.
So, instead of drinking a cup of coffee first thing in the morning, try a glass of hot water.
3. It could alleviate menstrual cramps
In addition to hydrating you, encouraging urination, and making you feel good, hot drinks (like teas or infusion) can help you lead a healthy lifestyle. All of that is important for making your periods less painful.
4. It may improve digestion
Another popular belief is that hot water improves digestion and prevents stomach problems.
Many people say that you should drink water before you eat, and the warmer it is the better. It’s easier on your stomach and intestines and prepares them to receive the food you eat and process the absorption of nutrients.
5. It may be good for your skin
Water is important for healthy skin. Research shows that waer helps your body’s largest organ function correctly as well as keep it looking young, supple, and beautiful.
Some popular beliefs about hot water and your skin are:
- Drinking water releases toxins from the body, and a body that’s free from bacteria and other harmful elements is better able to fight the effects of free radicals that cause premature aging.
- Water reduces impurities in the skin.
- It helps keep the skin balanced.
Hot, cold, or lukewarm, water is a vital liquid that everyone should get enough of every day.
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Jeong JN. Effect of Pre-meal Water Consumption on Energy Intake and Satiety in Non-obese Young Adults. Clin Nutr Res. 2018 Oct;7(4):291-296. doi: 10.7762/cnr.2018.7.4.291. Epub 2018 Oct 31. PMID: 30406058; PMCID: PMC6209729.
- Wittbrodt MT, Millard-Stafford M. Dehydration Impairs Cognitive Performance: A Meta-analysis. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2018 Nov;50(11):2360-2368. doi: 10.1249/MSS.0000000000001682. PMID: 29933347.
- Palma L, Marques LT, Bujan J, Rodrigues LM. Dietary water affects human skin hydration and biomechanics. Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol. 2015 Aug 3;8:413-21. doi: 10.2147/CCID.S86822. PMID: 26345226; PMCID: PMC4529263.