In this article we will show you 20 banana peel uses you may not have known of before. You may be surprised! Find out more below.
Sure, you’ve head about the benefits of bananas or plantains. However, did you know that the peel has over 20 different uses? Not only can it be used for your health and skin, but can also be used in the home. This is due to its antifungal, antibiotic and enzymatic properties.
Banana peel uses in the home
- Shine your shoes: rubbing a banana peel on your shoes can help instantly shine them.
- Shine silver: shine your forks, knives, and spoons till they sparkle
- Throw it in your compost pile: if you have an organic compost pile, bananas are a great benefit to it.
- Plant Fertilizer: Add banana peels to a glass jar and add water. Place some aquatic plants in the jar, which will be very receptive to its nutrients. Some people opt to slice the peels and place them above the dirt in a flower pot.
- Aphid repellent: cut small pieces of the peel and bury it near rosebushes and similar shrubs. It will help prevent common plant diseases.
- Attracts butterflies: if you love the beauty of butterflies in your garden, don’t hesitate to sprinkle bits of banana peel in your garden; they love the sweet smell!
- Cleans plant leaves: scrub plant leaves with the inside of a banana peel to keep them clean and beautiful.
- Trap moths: just like butterflies, moths are attracted to the sweet scent of the banana peels.
- Help keep meat juicy: this works best for chicken breast, before preparing it in a casserole or baking it.
- Purifying water: various studies have shown that banana peels absorb toxins in rivers with contaminated waters, especially those with heavy metals.
- Attracting birds: birds love the sweet taste of bananas. Leave a peel on your window sill, garden, balcony, or other place the birds can fly to enjoy it.
Banana peel uses for health and skin
- Teeth whitening: rub the banana peel (the interior part) on your teeth periodically to help whiten them.
- Facial mask: the nutrients within a banana peel offer enzymes that help give you much more healthy skin. Wash your face well with a neutral soap. Apply the peel over the whole face and let dry, then rinse with lukewarm water.
- To lessen irritation and itching: if you get bitten by a mosquito or ant, leave a banana peel on the bite for several minutes. You can also use it in cases of minor scrapes or for poison ivy or poison oak.
- As a food: in the Asian kitchen, as well as Hindu, they are eaten both raw and cooked. You can discover interesting and delicious recipes.
- Natural wart remover: place the banana peel over the wart tightly and secure it with something, changing it frequently over a few days’ time. In about a weeks’ time, the wart will fall off!
- Extract a Splinter: repeat the same steps as in the wart remedy. The enzymes in the peel act as a natural agent to extract anything strange in the body that is bothering you.
- Eliminate acne: Every night, rub your face with a banana peel. Do not wash it off, sleep with it just like that. In the morning, rinse it off. You can also use this remedy as a weekly face mask.
- Psoriasis treatment: rub the inside of the banana peel on the affected area of the skin. In the beginning, it may become more red; don’t worry, this is normal. You will notice a difference if you continue this treatment on a daily basis.
- Treating Bruises: If you don’t heal from bruises easily, banana peels can help. Just place a piece atop the area where you have bumped and let the nutrients work their magic.
- Prevent wrinkles: banana peels have high levels of potassium, iron, magnesium, and Vitamins A, B, and E. Put pieces of the peel directly on the skin—under the eyes and on the forehead.
- Damaged hair: place pieces of banana peels in your shampoo or conditioner then wash as usual. Another great idea is to put the peels in the blender and use as a hair mask for about 30 minutes, then rinse off and wash as usual.
- Dry skin: mix pieces of cut-up banana peel with a tablespoon of baking soda. Place in the blender with a little bit of water and apply to the face and neck. Let sit for 20 minutes, then rinse with cold water.
- To hydrate the skin: mash the peel with 1/2 a cucumber and the pulp of one mango. Apply to the areas needing hydration then wash off after 1/2 hour with lukewarm water.