Prevent Premature Wrinkles on Your Face
There can be many causes for why people start to have wrinkles on their face earlier than expected: from a lack of vitamins to tobacco to low moisture to environmental pollution. Learn about how to prevent premature wrinkles from appearing and show off a beautiful face at any age.
Is it Just Genetics’ Fault?
Some lucky people don’t have wrinkles until after 60 years of age, but not everyone is that lucky. Genes are (partly) responsible for how your skin looks, but it also the environment, diet, exercise, habits, etc. There is no miracle or a secret formula (despite how creams or lotions are sold), but rather some procedures to improve your overall appearance.
When your skin is “young”, it is characterized by a good texture, firmness, and natural moisture. As time goes by, the dermis is affected by various causes. The factors that most affect your skin’s health and thus allow wrinkles to appear prematurely are:
- Your general health status (this has repercussions on your skin)
- Your mental peace (it has been proven that stress, depression, and sadness age and affect the skin)
- The lack of vitamins in your diet
- Excess consumption of various products (with alcohol, caffeine, refined sugar, and tobacco at the top of the list)
- Overexposure to sun (especially during unadvised hours at midday in summer)
- Environmental pollution (living in a big city, walking on streets full of cars, etc)
- Neglect in skin care (not hydrating, washing, or moisturizing)
- Poor diets (those miracles ones that claim that you can lose 20 kilos in one week)
- Not drinking enough water (2 liters in the winter and 3 in the summer everyday)
How to Prevent Wrinkles on Your Face (Tips)
With these tips, your skin’s health will look a lot better, younger, more natural, and without the imperfections like wrinkles (especially the premature ones because they don’t display experience but rather neglect):
- Take care of your face’s skin: Do a deep cleanse once a week and other more “basic” ones every night, where you will eliminate toxins that accumulate (smog, cigarette smoke, makeup, etc). In the morning, moisturize well so that you go outside protected for at least a few hours. Choose a home treatment, soaps, and neutral products and use a good amount of them everyday.
- Be careful with your diet: whatever you eat has an effect on your skin. There are some foods that are recommended to prevent aging like those that have a lot of vitamin C (citrus fruits especially) because they help create more elastin and collagen. There are also the popular “antioxidants” like spinach, tomato, broccoli, avocado, grapes, etc.
- Avoid abrupt weight changes. These have negative effects on your skin. So, if you are on a weight loss or gain plan, the results should be gradual. The skin stretches or shrinks according to your diet and this makes it lose its natural elasticity which is why your wrinkles won’t take long to appear.
- Protect your skin from UV rays: the dermis suffers greatly from the sun, especially your face because it is the most exposed year round. It gets external attacks everyday from ultraviolet rays, which are very harmful. If you want to prevent wrinkles from appearing prematurely, try to not expose yourself too much to the sun and if you do so, don’t forget to put on a good SPF of at least 30.
- Stop smoking: this is one of many health problems that cigarettes cause in a person. Tobacco is very dangerous to the skin because the smoke contains toxins that harm it, which causes premature aging. People that smoke always have more “dull” or wrinkled skin. Also, wrinkles form around the lips because of the suction that is done when smoking.
Natural Home Remedies for Wrinkles
- Mix beer yeast with water and yogurt or wheat germ. Spread on your expression lines with light taps. Let dry and then rinse off.
- Put castor oil on your eyes’ contours very gently to fight crow’s feet, which are what the wrinkles in this area are known as.
- Gently massage wrinkles everyday with avocado oil or cocoa butter.
- Cut several white grapes in half and remove the seeds. Spread them over your mouth and eyes. Let the juice dry before putting on makeup. You can also make a smoothie with grapes and apply it to your face. Wash off after 20 minutes.
- Mix two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, three tablespoons of honey, and a half teaspoon of bee pollen. Wet your face well with warm water (don’t forget your neck) and cover it with this preparation. Wait five minutes and rinse.
- Make a homemade anti-wrinkle cream with three tablespoons of olive oil, a half teaspoon of cocoa butter, a tablespoon of bee honey wax, and two tablespoons of rose water. Heat the wax, oil, and butter in a bain-marie. When this is melted, turn off the heat and let cool. Add in rose water and stir until you get a homogenous dough. Apply at night in the areas with the premature wrinkles.
Images courtesy of Mahmoud99725, MonkeyMyshkin, Lindsey Turner, Amanda, Wouter Verhelst and Heather.