A Healthy Weight-loss Diet for Diabetics
If you have diabetes and want to lose weight then you need to know the key things for a healthy diet.
People who suffer from diabetes need to pay very close attention to their diet.
Therefore, we want to share some tips and tricks for a healthy weight-loss diet for diabetics. These will help lower the risks of developing problems with your blood sugar levels.
Key Things for a Healthy Diet
First of all, a healthy diet is any diet which reduces the risk of illnesses whilst still getting the necessary nutrients for the body to work properly.
A healthy diet needs to include a wide variety of foods, such as, vegetables, whole grains, fruit, fat-free dairy products, lean meats, and white and oily fish.
There’s no such thing as a perfect diet. However, including a variety of different foods and controlling portion sizes is key for a healthy diet. Furthermore, you should make sure that you choose food that offers the highest quality nutrients you can find.
Therefore, choose foods rich in vitamins, minerals, and fibre, instead of processed foods.
Most of the time, diabetics can eat the same foods that everyone else enjoys. Everyone benefits from eating well, so the whole family can be a part of your healthy diet.
It does require a certain amount of planning. However, it’s possible to include some of your favorite foods and still control your glucose levels, blood pressure, and cholesterol levels.
A healthy weight-loss diet is a healthy weight-loss diet, regardless of whether you’re diabetic or not!
A Weight-loss Diet for Diabetics
Going on a diet, being careful with your food, and doing exercise are all good things for diabetics. However, always be sure to consult with your doctor.
Below, we’ve compiled some tips for a weight-loss diet for diabetics who are overweight.
This sort of diet can be really important for overweight diabetics, since obesity is a risk factor for hypertension and cardiovascular problems.
Earlier, we said that diabetics need to pay close attention to their diet. This becomes even more the case if they’re overweight.
Therefore, here are some different options to combine in each meal of the day.
- Coffee with skimmed milk
- Red or green tea
- Cereals without sugar or chocolate
- Two slices of toasted wholemeal bread with sugar-free jam
- A piece of fruit
- A low-fat yoghurt
- A small sugar-free cereal bar
- Two slices of toasted wholemeal bread with turkey meat or cheese
- Pasta salad with tomato, lettuce, corn, chicken, egg (without the yolk), and green leaves. It’s important not to add mayonnaise. Try other options like olive oil, yoghurt dressing, or soy sauce.
- Mediterranean salad
- Tomatoes with oregano and cheese
- Lentils and vegetables
- Spinach and chickpeas
- Peppers stuffed with chicken
- An infusion-based dessert, or a coffee with skimmed milk
- Coffee, black or with skimmed milk
- Lemon or grapefruit juice
- Red or green tea
- Four sugar-free biscuits
- Homemade pudding or low-fat yoghurt
- Homemade biscuits with yoghurt, grated lemon, and whole flour
- Salad with tomato, lettuce, boiled eggs (without the yolk), onion, and tuna.
- Roast vegetables
- American salad with chopped cabbage and carrots.
- Boiled or raw green vegetables
- Scrambled garlic eggs with prawns
- Grilled sole, beef, or chicken breast
- Infusion-based dessert
- A low-fat yoghurt
- A glass of skimmed milk
As well as all these great ideas for a healthy weight-loss diet for diabetics, you should also try to get some light exercise. Going for long walks, or brisk 30-minute walks, or dancing will all help you lose weight quicker and burn the sugar in your blood.
Remember to take care when injecting insulin not to lower your blood sugar levels too much.
On final thing: it’s a good idea to have some sweet snacks or sachets of sugar in your bag. This way, you’ll have a quick source of sugar that you can use if your blood sugar levels get too low.