A Basil and Sage Cleanse to Naturally Detox Your Kidneys
To maintain good health and prevent chronic or degenerative illnesses, it’s important to maintain good life habits, and among these, good hydration.
According to popular belief, to complement your hydration, it’s a good idea to incorporate drinks made from medicinal plants like basil and sage. These two aromatic plants facilitate natural kidney function.
Why is it important to have good kidney function?
As the experts at the National Institutes of Health suggest, the kidneys contribute to balancing the whole body. This is because they eliminate the waste and excess liquid from our bodies, and as a result, the acid that our cells produce. Furthermore, “they maintain a healthy balance of water, salts, and minerals (like sodium, calcium, phosphorous, and potassium) in the blood”.
Basically, the kidneys are in charge of filtering diverse substances – helping to eliminate those that aren’t necessary – and through that, maintain balance in the whole body. Generally speaking, without good kidney function, you won’t have a balanced body nor good health.
Check out this article:Natural Remedies for Detoxifying Your Lungs
Do we need to help the kidneys to do their job?
Although many of us think that if our kidneys are healthy, they won’t need the extra help that healthy life habits may provide, supporting your hydration with natural drinks can be beneficial. This is also because they help you to avoid drinking industrial drinks (sodas, flavored waters, teas, alcohols, etc.).
Basil isn’t just an aromatic herb that you can use to prepare delicious sauces, salads, and pasta dishes. It’s also a natural remedy with digestive and relaxing properties that, according to popular belief, can be kept on hand to make an infusion or use as a spice.
Many people believe that consuming basil regularly within a balanced diet helps to prevent or dissolve kidney stones, as well as improving kidney function and alleviating stomach cramps. Furthermore, the experts at the Spanish Foundation for Nutrition (Fundación Española de la Nutrición) indicate that “among its therapeutic properties appetite stimulation and digestion facilitation stand out”.
Sage is a medicinal herb that gets its name from the Latin word “to cure”. With that in mind, we can say that the name itself confirms the multiple health benefits that many people in popular culture attribute to this herb!
As stated in an article published in Elsevier, “according to the German E Commission, the leaves have antibacterial, fungistatic and virostatic properties. It’s also astringent and inhibits sweating”.
Alternatively, there are people that consider this aromatic plant excellent when it comes to looking after your kidneys thanks to the diuretic and depurative qualities. Consuming it over time can help us maintain the body by eliminating liquids. This also prevents bloating, inflammation and swelling.
Basil and sage cleanse
You can consume the following remedy when you want to drink something different and natural, without falling into the trap of industrial drinks that only contain large amounts of sodium, sugar, and are largely harmful to your kidney health.
*If you’re taking any kind of medication continuously, consult your doctor before you consume any natural remedy to avoid interactions and side effects.
- 1 cup of water (2/5 pint)
- 5 fresh sage leaves
- 10 fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon of honey (4/5 oz.)
Discover more: A Ginger, Garlic and Honey Remedy for High Cholesterol
- To prepare this remedy, you’ll need the herbs to be fresh. This way, you’ll know that they have all of their beneficial properties.
- You just have to beat, blend or crush the basil and sage leaves with water.
- After blending the herbs with the water, add the honey to sweeten.
How to consume it
- To reap the benefits from this remedy, you should take it after waking up, before you eat. Drink it at least 30 minutes before breakfast.
- Make the remedy fresh every morning and don’t save it. Simply drink it just after you make it.
- You can use drink this remedy on a regular basis, but make sure to always do it for a week straight.
- Remember, don’t do this natural treatment without medical supervision if you suffer any illness or are taking medication.
To get the most benefit from this cleanse, you should take the following advice into account:
- Drink an abundance of water each day, outside of meals.
- Limit the amount of dairy and salt that you consume.
- Increase the number of raw vegetables that you eat and try to incorporate them into each meal.
- Exercise to speed up your metabolism and to increase the amount you sweat. This facilitates kidney function.
- Keep the area around your kidneys warm (between the mid and low back), as these organs are very sensitive to cold. Apply a heating pad or a bag of warm water to the area if needed.
Overall, there’s evidence of the beneficial properties basil and sage have on our health, especially on the kidneys. However, this remedy is not a medical treatment in itself and it should never replace one. Regardless, it’s a good idea to consult your doctor if you’re considering consuming it.It might interest you...