9 Tips to Lose Fat and Define Your Face
Losing facial fat to define your face requires a rigorous commitment if you want to achieve it naturally. The results are always associated with the lifestyle you adopt. Otherwise, there will be no noticeable facial changes.
The face is one of the most difficult areas of the body to slim down. You’ve probably noticed accessories or remedies that are an aid in the loss of facial fat and definition in stores. Some people also resort to the operating room to quickly get the desired effect.
However, there are other natural ways to reduce the roundness of the face, even though they’re a bit more work. Before taking a look at the methods, however, it’s important to know the origin of this fat accumulation.
Why does fat accumulate in the face?
Due to genetics, there are tissues that tend to be deposited more in some areas than in others. In the case of the face, fat deposits show thickening in the cheekbones and jowls.
The main factor linked to this type of facial roundness is weight gain as a result of unhealthy habits. While some people feel comfortable with the appearance of fullness in their cheeks, others prefer to sculpt the face, but without undergoing aesthetic procedures.
We think you may also enjoy reading this article: How to Treat a Sunburned Face with Natural Remedies
Recommendations to lose fat and define your face
It is possible to lose fat in the face and define it without surgery by concentrating your efforts on working your whole figure and not only the face. For this purpose, it’s a good idea to apply the following tips.
1. Lose weight
It’s clear that the fat on the face is a consequence of weight gain. To combat the puffy appearance, getting in shape is necessary.
Aerobic exercise routines accelerate metabolism and have a very favorable outcome. Some activities that promote facial and body fat loss are the following:
It’s key to maintain an appropriate body weight to reduce the chances of fat accumulating around your face.
2. Eat a balanced diet
Healthy nutrition influences overall fat loss. Fried foods, sugar, and processed carbohydrates are not good for your diet.
Instead, vegetables and fruits stand out among the beneficial products to control the accumulation of fatty tissue, both in the face and body.
When it comes to healthy eating, Nutrients magazine mentions that a higher intake of whole grains is associated with a lower risk of weight gain. Consequently, fat accumulation in areas such as the face is minimized.
3. Get enough rest to lose weight and define your face
Those who do not get enough sleep face many consequences, such as increased cortisol levels, an increased tendency to poor eating habits, and altered metabolism.
Restful sleep is beneficial for fat burning. Try to sleep between 6 and 8 hours so that the process of losing facial fat is reinforced.
In addition, proper rest helps to define the face, because during sleep, elastin and natural collagen are produced. Also, you prevent dark circles under the eyes, and the skin looks smoother.
4. Keep an eye on your sodium intake
The Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) points out that the average daily consumption of salt exceeds the maximum amount suggested by the World Health Organization (WHO): 5 grams per day. It’s through salt that you ingest sodium.
Avoid salty foods, precooked products, processed meats, sauces, condiments, and salty snacks. High doses of this element cause body and facial swelling, as they cause additional water retention.
Excessive levels of salt in the body are also reflected in many major diseases, as stated by the American Heart Association.
5. Regulate your alcohol intake
Limit your alcohol consumption. Frequent drinking makes it difficult to lose fat from the face and the rest of the body.
This drink lacks nutrients and has a diuretic effect. Although you increase urination, you may suffer from water retention and dehydration.
Alcohol is also linked to the risk of systemic inflammation. The National Library of the United States published an article claiming that there are two ways in which alcohol leads to weight gain:
- Because of its high caloric content.
- Because of a person’s poor dietary choices when drinking.
6. Decrease your stress
The Food Alliance emphasizes that unmanaged states of stress lead to the adoption of harmful nutritional practices, such as binge eating.
To relieve stress, work out. This way, you increase endorphin levels and leave worries behind, as referred to by the Mayo Clinic. Along the same lines, make sure to dedicate a few hours of the day to a hobby that diverts your attention from any possible cravings.
7. Perform facial exercises
Aesthetic Surgery Journal explains that facial gymnastics are actions that involve force, movement, or manipulation of the muscles of the face. Although more compelling evidence is still needed, facial exercises may be recommended to tone the face, improve facial thickness, and help to give you a slimmer countenance.
For example, opening and closing your mouth as if you were chewing works quite well as a facial exercise. Perform 15 sets of 20 seconds each. Before starting each round, relax your face.
8. Hydrate sufficiently
According to Frontiers in Nutrition, there’s considerable evidence that drinking plenty of water channels weight loss. Therefore, it also helps with fat loss as well.
When you hydrate properly, you decrease hunger, improve circulation, and minimize inflammation. Drinking too little water, on the other hand, causes the body to reserve what fluid it can, even in the cheekbones; this contributes to the thickening of the face.
9. Massage with firming creams
As in the rest of the body, massaging the face contributes to blood circulation. Pamper yourself with circular movements on the chin and cheeks, taking advantage of the benefits of firming creams. Also, don’t forget the double chin!
When you burn fat and lose weight, sagging skin appears. Go a step ahead, hydrating and defining the entire dermis, both body and skin.
Like this article? You may also like to read: How to Make a Good Homemade Face Mask to Clean Your Pores
Other techniques to lose fat and define your face
Apart from natural tricks to lose fat in the face and define it, there are cosmetic procedures that aren’t very invasive. These alternatives should be applied by an aesthetic medicine professional or a certified cosmetologist.
The Coolsculpting ® removes localized fat and reduces the appearance of a double chin. Botulinum toxin injections also help with facial definition. Cheek lifts with hyaluronic acid fall into the same category. Combining these options with healthy habits also guarantees good results.It might interest you...
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Bastiaansen K, De Vos M, Lambert J, Van Borsel J, Welvaert J. La efectividad de los ejercicios faciales para el rejuvenecimiento facial: una revisión sistemática. Aesthetic Surgery Journal. Vol. 34. Núm. 1. pp. 22-27. Estados Unidos; 2014. https://academic.oup.com/asj/article/34/1/22/205101?login=false
- Bell M, Cortes H, Koecher K, Livingston K, Maki K, McKeown N, Palacios O, Sawicki C. La relación entre la ingesta de cereales integrales y el peso corporal: resultados de metanálisis de estudios observacionales y ensayos controlados aleatorios. Nutrients. Vol. 11. Núm. 6. Suiza; 2019. https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/11/6/1245
- Cómo demasiado sodio afecta su salud. Asociación Americana del Corazón. Estados Unidos; 2020. https://www.paho.org/es/temas/reduccion-sal
- El ejercicio y el estrés: ponte en movimiento para controlar el estrés. Clínica Mayo. Estados Unidos; 2020. https://www.mayoclinic.org/es-es/healthy-lifestyle/stress-management/in-depth/exercise-and-stress/art-20044469#:~:text=El%20ejercicio%2C%20pr%C3%A1cticamente%20en%20cualquier,distraerte%20de%20tus%20preocupaciones%20cotidianas.
- La pérdida de peso y el alcohol. Biblioteca Nacional de Estados Unidos. 2020. https://medlineplus.gov/spanish/ency/patientinstructions/000889.htm#:~:text=El%20alcohol%20puede%20causar%20aumento,malas%20decisiones%20alimentarias%20cuando%20bebe.
- Piña A. ¿Qué relación tienen la alimentación y el estrés? Alianza Alimentaria. México; 2022. https://alianzaalimentaria.org/blog/que-relacion-tienen-la-alimentacion-y-el-estres
- Reducción de la sal. Organización Panamericana de la Salud. https://www.paho.org/es/temas/reduccion-sal
- Thornton S. El aumento de la hidratación se puede asociar con la pérdida de peso. Frontiers in Nutrition. Australia; 2016. https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fnut.2016.00018/full