10 Reasons to Eat Artichoke
Artichoke is a vegetable that is both delicious and versatile. Among its leaves you’ll find numerous natural health benefits, including vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, which is why you might want to eat artichokes more often!
A gift for our health that has always been considered an ally to our body. During the Middle Ages, for example, it was one of the most expensive foods in existence, one of the most delicious, and for which Catherine de’ Medici paid extremely high sums.
The artichoke has always been a highly appreciated food. It is known that the Greeks and the Romans had already been eating it by their time. During the Middle Ages, King Henry VII introduced it to England, and later it crossed the Channel and converted Catherine de’ Medici into one of its most fervent consumers.
Artichokes, also known as cynaras, have a variety of varieties, and all of their parts may be enjoyed to access their marvelous properties. We can thus even find it in capsule form in natural stores, but if you wish to consume it in its natural form, remember to select the heaviest one from the supermarket, the one with the thickest leaves of a light green tone. They are the healthiest. We will look at all the benefits of this stupendous vegetable in the following.
- Its marvelous digestive properties make it ideal for treating illnesses such as uric acid, rheumatism, and problems with gallbladder stones.
- Reduces triglyerides in the blood, which makes it really quite valuable in fighting cholesterol: it reduces the bad and increases the HDL, which is considered to be the good cholesterol.
- It helps us regulate constipation and diarrhea.
- Artichoke has among its properties the capacity to alleviate stomach acid, other pains, strains, and ailments.
- Thanks to its ability to reduce cholesterol, artichokes are magnificent allies in improving problems of arteriosclerosis and high blood pressure.
- Its ability to care for our stomach and help aid in digestion allows the artichoke to be perfect for eliminating the flow of bile.
- The artichoke is also used in many diets, and that is thanks to its vegetable fibers being more than perfect for controlling the appetite by absorbing water in the stomach, giving us the feeling of being adecuately sated.
- Artichoke provides us with an endless amount of vitamins and minerals: magnesium, potassium, sodium, iron, A vitamins, B vitamins, it transforms sugar into energy…this vegetable is without a doubt more than adequate for our daily diet.
- It also has diuretic characteristics, which eliminates water retention from the body, toxins…and is therefore ideal for problems with gout, arthritis, liver disease, circulatory problems, and for reducing fats in the case of obesity.
- Some recent studies have indicated that thanks to its caffeic and pantothenic acids, as well as its flavanoids, it is excellent for preventing and improving some kinds of cancer.
How to eat artichokeThe best way to enjoy artichokes is steamed and cooked, and then accompanied with a bit of olive oil and apple cider vinegar. They are as healthy as they are delicious.
Remember that to cook them, you should clean them and trim them a bit: the stem and the exterior leaves. (The stem by itself is very good in soups and salads.)
If you want to enjoy them boiled, put them in a saucepan with water and later add the juice from 1 to 2 lemons, cover the pan and when the water begins to boil, let cook for 30 to 40 minutes over low heat. Then, remove from heat and drain the water, and they will be ready to eat.
How to Prepare a Slimming Tea With Artichoke
As we have pointed out earlier in the article, artichokes are often used in diets for losing weight. Thanks to its properties for sating the appetite and eliminating liquids, it stands alone as one of the best vegetables for these cases. One way to use it to lose weight is to make a tea with it. We explain how in the following:
- 20 grams (.7 oz) artichoke leaves
- 1 cup boiling water
Place the already-cleaned artichoke leaves in a pot of the boiling water.
Let boil for 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes, remove from heat, pour off the water, and let sit for another 5 minutes.
How to Drink Artichoke Tea to Lose Weight
- You can drink up to 3 cups daily.
- To let the artichoke’s satiating ability to have the most effect, it is recommended that you drink 1 cup of artichoke tea 30 minutes before each meal. You will notice results.