6 Natural Remedies to Treat Throat Infections
Did you know that gargling with salt water or a baking soda solution is an effective way to treat throat infections? Both methods help reduce inflammation and kill germs.
Who hasn’t had an infection in their throat? It’s a painful experience that makes your day to day life unpleasant. It hurts to talk, breath, and swallow…is there any way to get some relief? Here are some great natural remedies to treat throat infections. Keep this mind for the next time you have a sore throat.
You might like: Have a Sore Throat? Fight it with These Tips
Remedies to Treat Throat InfectionsSometimes throat infections appear during changes in temperatures or during the transition period from one season to the next. Other times, it’s the use of air conditioning that can dry out and aggravate a sore throat.
The arrival of winter could be the culprit, but whatever the cause, don’t ignore it or you could end up filled with stress and anxiety.
Throat infections can be caused by bacteria, a virus, or an injury. Some bacteria are more resistant than others and may require treatment with antibiotics. Oftentimes with a virus, you might find relief by just taking a few days off to recover.
Bear in mind that every now and then, your immune system weakens, lowering your defenses against infections or certain diseases. So make sure you maintain a diet that supports good overall health. In addition, we recommend that you try the following remedies to treat throat infections:
1. Thyme, honey, and lemon teaNothing is as simple or effective as these three ingredients together. Thyme is a powerful antiseptic that fights germs. Honey, meanwhile, promotes healing, reduces inflammation, and soothes the entire throat.
By combining thyme and honey with lemon juice, you get a medicinal concoction that you can enjoy throughout the day. Here’s how to make it:
- Add two tablespoons of fresh thyme to a liter of boiling water.
- Add the juice of one lemon, as well as grated zest from the peel.
- Boil these ingredients for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and wait for 10 minutes before straining the liquid.
- Drink this tea with two tablespoons of honey throughout the day.
You might like: The Amazing Benefits of Thyme Tea
2. Gargle with salt water
- Dilute a tablespoon of salt in 250 ml of water.
- Gargle with this mixture once every hour, but never swallow it. Just let it reach the back of your throat for a few seconds before you spit it out, and then repeat.
- Instead of salt, you can also use a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar or even baking soda. All three ingredients will reduce inflammation, kill any germs and bacteria that are present, and treat your sore throat effectively.
3. Garlic, the best natural antibiotic
Everyone knows that garlic still stands as the most powerful natural antibiotic available. Additionally, you can find it practically anywhere. It’s effective, healthy, and has no negative side effects. So why not try it to treat throat infections? Here’s how:
- Crush a clove of garlic and dilute it in half a cup of water. Drink up.
- You can repeat this process twice a day. Sure, the smell of garlic will linger on your breath, but it’s worth giving it a shot – you’ll get better much faster.
4. Chamomile tea compresses
This treatment is going to be applied as a wet compress for a sore throat. It reduces inflammation and provides you with some relief. Follow these steps:
- Prepare your chamomile by adding three tablespoons of the herb to a cup of water.
- Once the chamomile has steeped, strain the liquid into a bowl, wet a towel or cloth, and apply the compress to your throat.
- Repeat this process whenever the compress loses its heat. Ideally, you’ll get 10 to 20 minutes out of each application.
5. Turmeric and green tea
- This treatment is very easy and effective. Combining green tea with turmeric is a great way to treat throat infections. It will help reduce inflammation and speed your recovery.
- Prepare your green tea as usual. When the water comes to a boil, add half a teaspoon of ground turmeric.
- Once the mixture has steeped for about five minutes, drink up with a little honey to sweeten. You’ll definitely feel better.
6. Get plenty of restYour body is fighting off an infection. The only way it can go on doing so is by keeping up your natural defenses with plenty of rest. So make sure you’re sleeping properly. It doesn’t hurt to get a little extra shut-eye: you’ll get better faster!
When you’re sick, you should sleep about 10 or 11 hours a day, so make sure you take a nap and get enough sleep at night to recover. You’ll see that little by little you’ll be feeling like yourself again.