Throat Infections: Natural Treatments
Did you know that gargling with salt water or a baking soda solution is an effective way to eliminate a sore throat? Both methods help reduce inflammation, and kill germs and bacteria.
Who here hasn’t ever had an infection in their throat? It’s a painful experience that makes your day to day life unpleasant. It hurts to talk, take a breath…is there any way to get some relief? Of course there is. Follow the simple treatments in this article next time you have a sore throat.
Remedies for throat infectionsSometimes they happen during the change in seasons. Other times, it’s the use of air conditioning that can dry out and aggravate a sore throat. Maybe it’s the arrival of the cold season, but whatever the cause – don’t ignore it or you’ll end up filled with stress and anxiety.
A throat infection can originate from bacteria, a virus, or an injury. Some are more resistant than others, and may require treatment with antibiotics. Other times you might find relief by just taking a few days off to recover.
Bear in mind that every now and again your immune system can be weakened, giving you lower defenses against infections or certain diseases. So make sure you always eat a diet that promotes good overall health. In addition, we recommend that you try the following remedies for your throat infection:
1. Thyme, honey, and lemon teaNothing is as simple and effective as these three ingredients together. Thyme, for example, is a powerful antiseptic that fights germs. Honey, meanwhile, promotes healing, reduces inflammation, and soothes the entire throat.
- By combining them with lemon juice you get a medicinal concoction that you can enjoy throughout the day. But how should you make it?
- Add two tablespoons of fresh thyme to a liter of boiling water.
- Add the juice of one lemon, as well as the grated zest from the peel.
- Boil these ingredients for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and wait for 10 minutes before straining off the liquid.
- Drink this tea with two tablespoons of honey throughout the day. You’ll be cured.
2. Gargle with salt water
- Dilute a tablespoon of salt in 250 ml of water.
- Gargle with this mixture once every hour, but never swallow. Just let it reach the back of your throat for a few seconds before you spit it out, and then repeat.
- Instead of salt you can also use a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar or even baking soda. All three ingredients will reduce inflammation, kill any germs and bacteria that are present, and treat your sore throat effectively.
3. Garlic, the best natural antibiotic
Everyone knows that garlic still stands as the most powerful natural antibiotic available, and you can find it practically anywhere. It’s effective, healthy, and has no negative side effects. So why not try it next time you have a throat infection? Here’s how:
- Crush a clove of garlic and dilute it in half a cup of water. Drink up.
- You can repeat this twice a day. Sure, the smell of garlic will linger on your breath, but it’s worth giving it a shot – you’ll get better much faster.
4. Chamomile tea compresses
This treatment is going to be applied as a wet compress for the sore throat. This way it reduces inflammation and provides you with some relief. Follow these steps:
- Prepare your chamomile by adding three tablespoons of this herb to a cup of water.
- Once the chamomile has steeped, strain off the liquid into a bowl, wet a towel or cloth, and apply the compress to your throat.
- Repeat this process whenever the compress loses its heat; ideally you’ll get about 20 minutes out of each application.
5. Turmeric and green tea
- This one is easy and very effective. Combining green tea with turmeric will help reduce inflammation and speed your recovery from infection.
- Prepare your green tea as usual. When the water comes to a boil, add half a teaspoon of ground turmeric.
- Once the mixture has steeped for about five minutes, drink up with a little honey to sweeten. You’ll definitely feel better.
6. Get plenty of restYour body is fighting off an infection. The only way it can go on doing so is by keeping up the natural defenses with plenty of rest. So make sure you’re sleeping properly – it’s not going to hurt anything to get a little extra shut eye, and you’ll get better faster!
When you’re sick you should sleep about 10 or 11 hours a day, so make sure you take a nap and get enough sleep at night to recover. You’ll see that little by little you’ll be feeling like yourself again.